1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

What can be done to make my bike quieter?

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by ARH, Apr 3, 2015.

1. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    stop wasting time wondering about all this stuff and get to work....
  2. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    73 450WR 6spd motor in a 75 MK frame
    One thing that adds a lot of noise to a 2 stroke is a loose piston. An earlier post mentioned low compression and the consideration of rebuilding the top end. I think you'll be surprised how much noise that eliminates, especially when revving the engine in neutral.

Make sure the motor mounts are tight. I believe the factory torque recommendation is 25 ft. lbs. Check for any other loose fasteners.
  3. ARH Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '12 TE250, '74 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Oset 20.0
    It is not going to happen this week, got my kids home for spring break, so the little Hondas are getting all the attention now. My 11 year old son is going to change his own oil and install new grips. I'm trying to convince my 9 year old daughter that she really should learn how to take care of her own bike, last year she paid my son a dollar to change her oil.
    I did go down to the shop today to find out the details about getting the cylinder done, they said to just take it off and bring it in and they would help me find the right piston for it too.
    suprize, juicypips and adam6402 like this.
  4. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    at least your son is learning a business lesson there!
  5. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gas Gas TxT 300, Yamaha wr250f
    Seems hes under charging, going to go bankrupt with that business ethos.
  6. Richard Colahan Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    71 250 Cross, 74 125WR, 75 250WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    Vintage British bikes, 1969 Penton
    My 74 125 WR (pictured) was my 70's and early 80's Enduro bike...back when sound tests were done at all enduros.
    > rubber fuel line between fins
    > 3 pieces of "sliced" fuel line hose clamped around the pipe chamber cuts vibration
    > Thick bead of Silicone RTV at head pipe spigot
    > I lined the high-breather airbox with some old dense carpet to quiet intake noise
    > Rubber Skyway flapper modified to fit on the end of the pipe.
    Ended up fairly quiet...

BTW, I still have the NE Trailrider issue where a Husky rider replaced his Pickle with a Toyota muffler on the end of his 400 chamber...I never went THAT far!
  7. 84scrambler Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 xc 250, 85 wrx 250, 79 wr 250
    Not telling you what to do , but If I was in your position I would go to auto parts store and just buy the black header wrap and go to lowes and buy the little bag of insulation (white) and just wrap the insulation around the pipe first then wrap it with the header wrap and it comes with those stainless steel zip ties so it looks kinda cool too. Then go to dmv or the police station and get it passed then go home and if you don't like it just take it off . May want to repack the silencer while your at it to with that same insulation.
  8. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    I do notice some of the locals remove the baffles thinking it's faster but it's just more noise.
    At the old house people complained about my street legal 2t bikes.
    They never said a word about the Harleys going by at 1am of course the guys had there logo/colors on. They wouldn't say a word about them.

Now what about making a gun type silencer out of soda cans with a 1" hole in the bottom. You cut the can in half and stuff can inside can to have multiple walls or barriers with 1" holes to muffle the sound? How about a center 1" hole in one can then out side holes in the next can. Figure the out side holes to move the same amount of exhaust as the 1" hole.
  9. ajcmbrown Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    400WR 250WR 07 WR500 430AE 360AE
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 500CR Ducati Multistrada 1200S
    Old thread I know, but a couple of tricks I used when registering my IT490 years ago, was to make a fairly restrictive washer that would fit inside the header against the exhaust spigot, theory being that if the "bang" is stifled before it makes it to the expansion chamber, it can't resonate inside the pipe as loudly.
    While I had the pipe off, I covered the outside of the main part of the expansion chamber with mould release wax and then lay a skin of fibreglass that would make an outer shell that I could take off, clean the pipe and with muffler packing between it and the pipe, clamp it back onto the chamber. It can be removed and put back on for it's next inspection.
    Along with the above mentioned tricks, I never had a bike fail due to noise after that, and they are very strict here in Australia (unless you ride a Hardly Dangerous), 94 db max, measured one metre from end of exhaust at 45 degrees, half maximum engine speed, which is a guess at best (dependant on the mood of the inspector) and the A$$%#&es would test it just outside the test station with three brick walls to echo off which is against the guidelines, but you could never win that argument if you know what I mean!
  10. ARH Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '12 TE250, '74 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Oset 20.0
    Thanks for the sharing more tips, I have been riding all over the past couple of months, the bike runs great and no noise complaints. It is really only noticeably loud when I rev it a bit on start up or if you are right next to it. I just love riding this little bike, worth all the effort.
  11. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    good to hear. did you get it rebuilt in the end?
  12. ARH Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '12 TE250, '74 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Oset 20.0
    Yes, new piston, everything went well, runs even better now.
  13. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    nice work, enjoy!