1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Water pump O ring needed?? (leak)

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Force10, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Force10 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2005 TC 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 CRF250R
    Hey all,

Looks like I have a leak around the water pump:

Pump.jpg

Is a new O ring all that looks like is needed? I did just do a flush of the old coolant and replaced with Engine Ice. I drained the old coolant, then left the drain plug out and rinsed a little distilled water through it. Installed the drain plug and put a mix of 50/50 distilled water and vinegar and ran it for a few minutes. Drained it and rinsed some more distilled water through it. Then I filled it with engine Ice.

Pretty sure I did everything right. I noticed this stain after running the bike the hardest I've ridden it so far...about 60 miles of choppy trails. My level is down a tad (but still visible on top)...it could be down from air pockets being filled in after the hard ride.

I've never messed with a water pump before so I'm just checking here first. Not looking forward to draining it again...the drain location on the motor makes a mess since it's tucked in pretty far.

Thoughts?
  2. Rot Box Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 Husqvarna TE510
    Other Motorcycles:
    1994 ATK 605 DSES
    Unfortunately you'll need to drain the coolant again (I made a funnel thingy out of some cardboard to keep the coolant off the engine which sorta helped)

Once drained remove the two coolant hoses where they attach to the water pump housing. Then remove the three bolts holding the water pump housing onto the engine. Take care to not pull the backing plate out of the engine---it needs to stay in place---you want the housing to separate from the backing plate. Once the housing is removed flip it over and you'll see a simple o-ring. That's pretty much it.

Are you positive it's coolant you're seeing here? It is possible for these to leak oil around the water pump. If it's oil there are a few more steps one of which prevents you from having to re-time the entire engine (ask me how I know! haha) but overall not much more difficult. Hope this helps,

Andrew
  3. Force10 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2005 TC 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 CRF250R
    Actually...I just assumed it's coolant since that's the last thing I messed with on the bike...could very well be oil! Thanks for the detailed explanation on the water pump! If it's oil...whats the trick for fixing it without having to re-time the engine?

Thanks again!
  4. Force10 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2005 TC 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 CRF250R
    ...also, is there no overall gasket that goes between the water pump housing and the head? I'm not seeing one on the parts fiche'. The o-rings are the only thing keeping the fluids sealed in?
  5. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    I wouldn't worry about that slight seepage right now. Just keep an eye on it.

Good luck.
  6. Force10 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2005 TC 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 CRF250R
    Yeah...I figured I would take it for another ride and see if it gets worse or better...lol. If I do need to change the o-ring...I might as well do all the seals in there while I'm in there, including the valve cover gasket.

Thanks!
    Trenchcoat85 likes this.
  7. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    Clean the stained area before you ride so you know it is clean front the start.
  8. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

The valve cover gasket is meant to to be reused so do not bother with it unless it is hammered.
  9. Force10 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2005 TC 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 CRF250R
    Someone pointed out before about the gasket sealer oozing out of the area in the upper right of the pic on the valve cover gasket (the half egg shape area). I imagine it was done because the gasket is 12 years old and a little rough.

If I get a new one...do I need to put any RTV or similar sealer on it? Is that what's called for by Husky...or should a new gasket with cleaned surfaces be enough?
  10. banana944 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 SMR510, 1996 WXC360
    Other Motorcycles:
    01 YZ300,01 KDX200 both street legal
    There is just a simple o-ring that seals the water pump cover. Remove the 3 bolts, and ensure you are separating the cover from the backing plate. Because if you pull the cover out with the backing plate stuck to it, you could mess up the timing. This is because the main timing gear is held in place by the water pump shaft. Don't be intimated, its a super simple procedure.

There is only a couple seals up there. The valve cover gasket which is reusable, and does not require any RTV on it. The water pump has the o-ring on the cover, and then there is the seal for the shaft which keeps out any oil. I wouldn't suggest messing with as long as you don't have water/oil mixing.
  11. Force10 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2005 TC 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 CRF250R
    Good info...Thanks! I'm not sure if it's oil or coolant that's leaking. I also read that it doesn't hurt to put a little silicone on the bolt threads that go into the housing...I guess it can leak through the threads occasionally.

I did see this pic as a way to pull the shaft without losing timing by bungeeing the drive gear:

imageproxy.php.jpg

Looks good on paper...I will only go down that road if I'm forced to though.

Thanks again for the suggestions all!
    Trenchcoat85 likes this.
  12. Oldscool Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    RM125, SWM RS500R & Superdual
    I'd assume that engine ice, like regular coolant, washes off with water. Oil will not wash off. A quick test and then at least you know what you're dealing with.
  13. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I would definitely put a little sealer on the bolt threads as well.