1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Vintage Brake & Wheel Thread 70's and 80's

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by HuskyT, Jul 30, 2008.

1. HuskyT Moderator

If you have detailed information and would like to add to this please include bike model and year and as much detailed information as possible including pictures. The intent of posting this thread is for someone that is unfamiliar with these brake and wheel assemblies to get as much information as possible for a rebuild...

The old Husky manuals do not really cover this very well. Especially with Photos.

T
  2. HuskyT Moderator

1982 xc 430 Single Pull Front Brake and cam detail

Brake cams were different from year to year and had different lengths, cuts etc... this should help someone trying to rebuild a 1982 XC 430

Brake cam ( excenter) PN # 1516782-01 and wheel shots
    Detail cam shots courtesy of / and with permission of Huskydoggg!

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

If anyone has more images to add to this specific bike, please email them to me and I will edit and add them to this link... good addition would be brake pads and part numbers and a detail shot of the inside of the brake backer plate, brake stay etc...

Huskydoggg and I want to make this a great detailed and informative post for the 82 XC 430 Front brake and wheel. We would also like to have information if anyone has converted this year ( 1982) to a 83/84 DLS hub?

T
  3. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM250xc, KTM500mx, KTM440exc
    This is great stuff. I have four 430's in the garage getting rebuilt... and each has different wheel/brake/spacer/axle combos!! Those Swede's had a cruel sense of humor.

I have an 82 430 XC running a DLS brake/wheel from a later model. The swap was done by the previous owner and I haven't been through it yet to see if it's 'correct' in terms of alignment or action. Can I help in any way?

Previous owner also installed the later year rear wheel, but it looks like the spacers were not correct because the chain is not aligned, and the offset of the rim-over-hub may not be correct either. Got a little spokin' to do here.
  4. flyarmy Husqvarna
    B Class

I had a similar problem. I bought a real nice set of 1982 XC wheels and the DLS front brake from a later model would not work as the hub was smaller on the single shoe brake plate. Those cruel Swedes.
  5. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM250xc, KTM500mx, KTM440exc
    Yes! My DLS hub is profiled just a bit differently than the stock 82 SLS hub. Whatever was done to set this up, it looks OK at first glance... seems to be lined up well in the fork. I don't know what year my DLS hub is... anybody know how to tell?
  6. HuskyT Moderator

The DLS front brake backer was only made in 83 and 84. It was made to fit the 83/84 hub ( not the 82) If you truly have a 83/84 DLS front brake backer plate it on an 82 hub wheel someone has done some custom work to the brake backer plate to make it fit.

THis is exactly the kind of detail information that needs to go into this particular thread. If you can, take time to shoot detail and close up pics of the modified hub, left/right/interior/exterior etc... and post them up...

Next up for me will be to add information from an 1979 OR 250 rear WHeel set that I have.

If you can include PN#s ..... even better.

T
  7. squarefour Husqvarna
    AA Class

So I installed a DLS brake into a '77 hub/35mm fork today. I thought I would post it here, since this was the most helpful thread during my "research" phase.
    [IMG]
    Made a new center bushing out of 1-1/8 rod. The bit on the end is turned down for the bearing seal.

[IMG]
    Bushing had an extension on this side which will be cut off later.

[IMG]
    I used the extension to chuck up in a lathe and relieve the edge of the backing plate for clearance to the hub. I also turned the pads. I took off a little more from the plate edge than I needed to, BTW.

[IMG]
    Then I cut most of the extension off with a cut-off disc, and chucked it up to lathe on this side. I took off about 3/16 from the backing plate, mostly to get more thread engagement for the axle nut.

[IMG]
    I put a little epoxy fillet around the bushing for extra security. My press-fit wasn't super great.

[IMG]
    You can barely see here the steel washer (that slides over the axle nut) I made just the right thickness to center the wheel during assembly. It will also keep the backing plate in place if my press-fit fails. I also made a giant custom brake stay. I may trim it down some day, I may not.

[IMG]
    It seems to work great on the stand, though I can already tell it is terrible going backwards.
    It ended up with a pretty good gap between the hub and the backing plate for water etc. to get in. I will make an oring to go in there and help seal a little. I would probably forgo this modification if I planned to do a lot of muddy enduros.
    Krudd likes this.
  8. squarefour Husqvarna
    AA Class

Oh yeah, no modifications to the brake cable or anchor required, which I thought was kind of miraculous.
  9. squarefour Husqvarna
    AA Class

I did have to flatten the s-bend in the DLS brake arm, to clear the fork leg.