1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

untimely failure 310TE2010

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by 310TE72, Jun 2, 2010.

1. 310TE72 Husqvarna
    C Class

Hello,

My 310TE has trouble from time to time :
    - the LCD panel display "FAIL" instead of the engine speed
    and the motor works badly (EFI trouble ???)

If the speedometer display the engine speed, the motor works properly
    When i swtich on the bike a code is display :
    "E41E"
    Do you know the meaning of this code ?

Today, my dealer load the power up 3* FB values (over 100% but i don't remember exactly the value) but the trouble is not solved !!!

Could you help me ?

Thanks
    Bruno
  2. andy j Husqvarna
    AA Class

similar symptons happened to me.... check your battery is the new yussa battery & not a unibat.. there was a recall for this for 2010 models
    dealer changed mine over now runs fine all issues gone.
    thinking about it the code & dash display was exactly the same as yours..

good luck

andy
    te310
  3. Ghostman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Brutale 990, Vespa GT200
    but the fail indication is on? After engine running?
  4. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
    Definitely check the battery issue with your dealer.
  5. 310TE72 Husqvarna
    C Class

Hello Guys,

Thanks for your help, i will communicate the trouble of the battery to my dealer.
    Regarding the display error message (E41E), when it's displayed, it dosen't diseappered during the engine run.

Thanks
    Bruno
  6. Maniac Husqvarna
    A Class

Hi, I works for a husky dealership. A lot of our 2009 bikes had this problem. Seems that there were a batch of faulty coolant temp sensors. Husky now have a different supplier. Get them to swap it over with another bike and see if that is the problem. It is located on the back of the cylinder head.

Cheers

Bryan
  7. 310TE72 Husqvarna
    C Class

Hi,

My dealer has another 310TE2010 in his workshop and he swapped step by step components linked to the injection.
    In fact, he found it was the resistor in the place of the lamba sensor (full power configuration)
    The value may be changed...
    I mesure the value of the new resistor, it's about 2.17Kohms

Now, my husqy engine work properly.

Bye
    Bruno
  8. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    What was the value of the resistor that caused the problem?

Could it have been poorly soldered?
  9. CARL REHATCHEK Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 250
    I get 8888888 as the comps cycles then E41E code up on the left side only the first time I turn the key on then a small fail shows on the left side and then the comp finish's cycling thru the bike runs

The value of the power now cap shows 2.17k

When I remove the cap and turn the key on I'll get the E41E code on left then on the right side it shows fail Thinking this is what you were seeing ???

I plug it back in I'll get my original sighting..

Then cap very well could have been bad or worked its way loose..That is why coffee was wondering the value of the old unit..

Chow, Carl
  10. 310TE72 Husqvarna
    C Class

I don't know the value of the failed resistor (or soldering). My dealer kept this resistor.
    Anyway, the Code E41E always appears during the initialize cycle, but the engine work properly.
    Another topic:
    Do you know if the husqvarna switch to change the power map (Sel1 or Sel2) is only a selector (contact opened or closed), a push button ?, or a button with a resistor inside, and in this case which value ?

Thanks
    Bruno
  11. HUSKYnXJnWI Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09TE450
    Ignition Map Selector Switch:
    The stock selector switch (sel1 and sel2 ignition maps-where Sel1 is "default" and Sel2 is the "wet map")is a "normal OFF" (or contact open)push-button type- so it is just like a horn switch- the stock switch plugs into a connector under the headlamp- it has a protective plug on it that you take off and plug in connector from switch. The stock switch is $15 and uses a zip tie threaded through the back- cheap easy conveinient- though you'll have to order and deal with whatecer availability- I got it within 2 weeks.... so no issues there.
    Basically Sel2 makes the rpms sound off in the area of 6ooo rpms- power is different though below 6000- the bike sounds totally different. Its worth having- even if just to have it available- but I don't use it alot.

You switch from sel1 (default) to sel2- and thereafter back and forth by holding in the switch for 3 seconds or so- feels like a long time when you are doing it- it wil then display "sel2" on the stock display.
  12. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I believe the sel1/2 switch is open/closed. But someone else gave you a more detailed answer.
    I really appreciate you following up. :thumbsup:

Based on the following, my guess would be the soldering went bad, or the resistor opened up internally. Resistors 'drifting in value' is *extremely* rare. I've seen that maybe 2 times after working with electronics for decades.
  13. Ex HVUK Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    I'm pretty sure the Dual Mode switch for sel1/sel2 has a resistor in it.. need to check before you short out the ECU with a normal switch!

Dave
  14. huskyte310 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09/te310
    I wonder if sel2 would give you a lower db reading. I tested 97db at two diferent events.
  15. petem Husqvarna
    A Class

Don't know if it's the same on the 310, but for the map switch to work on my '09 450 the engine has to be warm (at least 40C/104F) and must have been running for at least 10 seconds (it's intentionally designed that way). Worth being aware of that in case you fit a switch and try it too soon after start-up then think it doesn't work! Actually I think mine has worked less than 10 seconds after start, but not with the engine cold.

I can't see any details in the workshop manual but I just tested the resistance of my map switch and it reads less than 1 Ohm when pressed so I'd guess there isn't a resistor in the circuit and any momentary press-to-make switch should do (same basic type of switch as the horn, like HUSKYnXJnWI said). However, since the Husky one comes with the cable including the right plug on the end, and even a cable tie to attach the switch to the handlebar, I'd probably just buy the Husky one unless it was unreasonably expensive or not quickly available (in fact neither of those was a problem here in the UK, so I did buy one :thumbsup:).

As far as I can tell the SEL2 setting doesn't make much difference to the sound level on the 450. I guess there might be a measurable difference but if so it's small enough that it's not obvious just from listening to the bike.

BTW, the workshop manual says the code "E41E" indicates that this bike is a "TE" rather than an "SM" (which would be "541E"). I'm not sure whether it should always come up when you start the bike, but I can remember seeing it on mine on a few occasions and there was nothing wrong with the bike.

It definitely does come up when you first fit a new speedo display unit, and you have to wait for the right code to be displayed as it swaps back and forth, then press the speedo button. The speedo then knows which type of bike it's connected to and you never need to do that again (in fact according to the manual you *can't* do it again even if you got it wrong). It's normally done by the factory or dealer before delivery of course.
    hash likes this.
  16. CARL REHATCHEK Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 250
    Thanks Petem for the code explanation.. Makes sense..

Chow, Carl
  17. HUSKYnXJnWI Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09TE450
    I can hear a difference in my bike under load- not the level of db but the pitch. At idle its the same. That's how I know I am in Sel2 versus sel1- cause my stock display died- that and the actual sound off at 6ooo rpms.. Actually, I will test the db differences per SAE J1287 this weekend- I am intriged to find if it effects actual db. Probably not but what the heck? I am inquizitive :)

I never heard of the resistor (power up connector) going bad- so this is another "good thing to know" just in case... I wonder if that showed as a fault code on the Ibeat- thank you also for following up 310TE72 always good to know the results.
  18. petem Husqvarna
    A Class

Interesting, as I couldn't hear any difference even under load. Mind you I could be going deaf.

Eh? What's that you say young man? :oldman:

Mind you, it's been a while since I tried it as I haven't used SEL2 since I had the Ti pipe and race ECU fitted. The throttle response is so much smoother that even though it has more power it's actually easier to ride and I find I don't need SEL2 even on the most slippery of days. Go figure. :)
  19. Delnari Husqvarna
    A Class

Just took delivery of 09 TE 450 that started producing the code after I installed the turn signals. Is There a polarity setting on the turn signals that could cause this E41E code?

One thing I notice is the power-up kit was not completely installed by the dealer. The O2 sensor is still in the exhaust pipe and the resistor cap is still in the bag with the parts that were removed. Could this be a cause of the error code?

Scratching my head :excuseme:
  20. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    It has been a while since this was discussed, but the wire either needs to be connected to the O2 sensor or the resistor cap.

Though I don't know why putting the turn signals on would make any difference.