1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Txc 510 headlight wiring.

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by mkvisser, Jan 10, 2017.

1. mkvisser Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2001 TE 570
    Hi guys.
    I'm looking at trading my old 2001 te 570 for a '09- '10 txc 510.
    I would be using it for bush riding and need rec reg for it. My main concern is wiring up a headlight and tail light
    Does anyone know if the bike had a wiring loom to plug one in? Seeing as it has a battery and electric start.
    Can a TE light fit straigh on? Or do I need an aftermarket headlight with a complete wiring loom off the battery?

Any info regarding it would be great.

Cheers
    Mick
  2. Flash319 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TC510
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM640 Supermoto
    I have a tc510 that i converted. While researching i think i remember that the tcx harness was like my tc without the light plugs and stuff but had the regulator/rectifyer for the battery and starter. Mine had the plugs for everything but the lights. You will need to run wires and switch but thats it.
  3. mkvisser Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2001 TE 570
    Ahhh. Awesome. I read on another forum that the headlight plug is tucked up
    Under the tank. Didn't know if there was a taillight one as well. Was thinking about a switch
    I probably wouldn't bother just make it come on when the bike starts. Does the txc have a key?
    Or since there's no light or anything to drain the battery is the ignition always "on"?
  4. Flash319 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TC510
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM640 Supermoto
    Go download the manual and parts manual for the bike. You can see what you will be missing. Ya there are unused plugs under the tank that are for the lights and the starter (txc has the starter alwready).
    mkvisser likes this.
  5. 268fords Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08' TE510'
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CRF 100, Kawasaki KLX 110
    Whats the output on the stators for the TC/TCX models? You could always put a LED light of some sort so you are not drawing to much power.
    mkvisser likes this.
  6. mkvisser Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2001 TE 570
    Cheers guys.
    As soon as I can sell the 570 I got hunk I'll definitely get the txc 510. 09' 10' model.
    Appreciate the replies
  7. Flash319 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TC510
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM640 Supermoto
    I think the stator puts out 80-100 watts on tc/txc. Te is 180 i think... I run all led lights without a problem. I have no e start though, bit might add a fan..
  8. 268fords Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08' TE510'
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CRF 100, Kawasaki KLX 110
    The TE's were 230 if I remember correctly.
  9. Skurfer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC450
    I wired a headlight and a tail light/brakelight to my 09 TXC450. I was relatively easy and took about 6 hours although I was doing it from scratch trying to figure out the best way to do it as I went as I couldn't find any writeups anywhere so I reckon now it would only take about 2 hours.

Things you need:
    Headlight: I used Racetech V-Line headlight
    Brake/tail light: I used a MCS universal enduro LED brake tail light
    Brake pressure switches: Ebay M10x1.00mm 90 degree banjo bolt pressure switch x 2
    Looms: Described below
    Plugs: 1x 3 pin male plug to suit female wiring plug under fuel tank, a few waterproof male and female bullet connectors or similar
    Wire: About half a metre auto wire or you can salvage some from the looms when you shorten them up.

For the wiring for ease of wiring and cost I used 2x cheap ebay looms. As i wanted the headlight and tail light to come on together and run whenever the bike is running and turn off when the bike turned off I decided to run both of them off the same relay so I used a cheap loom designed for 2x HID spotlight in car. Example: Here. As the brake light only needed 1 output I used a similar loom for an LED lightbar.

Install the pressure switches in place of the existing banjo bolts on the brake master cylinders and bleed them up.

Take off your fuel tank and side plastics and locate the female 3 pin white plug (mine was discoloured a bit and covered in electrical tape). You can see it in this photo. The new male white 3 pin plug you can see in that photo I will get to later.
    [IMG]

The plug has 3 outputs. 1 is earth, 1 is AC power straight from the stator which is only live when the bike is running, 1 is constant 12V DC (although mine wouldn't output enough amps to run the headlight and taillight effectively hence why we will wire them to the battery later.) Find which plugs are which using a multimeter. We only need to know the earth and AC one. The switches in relays don't care whether they get AC or DC power so we will use that to switch the circuits when the bike is on.

When you initially wire it all up don't shorten any wires and temporarily twist tie connections to make sure it was all working. Then you can figure out how you are going to route the wires, then shorten them to length, wire in plugs, cover with flexible conduit then zip tie securely to bike.

With the 2 ebay looms, take off the switches as we will not need them and cut off the switching wire (usually white) from the switch plug (NOT THE RELAY!!) as we will use that wire as our switching wire from the plug under the tank.

First we will wire up the headlight and tail light. Using the HID loom with the 2 outputs wire 1 output to the headlight wires and 1 output to the tail light wires. Wire the switching wire from the relay to the AC output from the plug under the tank and the negative from the relay to the negative on the plug under the tank. The positive wire on the fuse will go to the battery but we will do this later.

Next we will wire up the brake light through the pressure switches. This is a little trickier as we have to wire the switches in parallel but its actually pretty easy. It doesn't matter which of the 2 wires you use on the switches themselves. This is where you need to use some spare wire you have around. You need to run a wire from the AC output on the plug under the tank to 1 wire on the front brake pressure switch then from that wire to 1 wire on the rear brake pressure switch. Now wire the switching wire from the relay to the other wire on the front brake pressure switch and then from that wire to the other wire on the rear brake pressure switch. Now the brake switches will work independently from each other and both switch the rear brake light. Wire the negative from the relay to the negative on the plug under the tank. Now wire the positive and negative output from the relay to the brake light wire (you may not need to wire up the negative if like mine the negative wire for the brake/taillight was universal). Wire the ground from the relay to the ground of the plug under the tank.

Now you are all wired up. Now connect the positive from the 2 fuses to the positive of the battery. Start bike and the headlight and taillight should come on together. Pull the front brake and the brake light should come on. Push the rear brake and the brake light should again come on. When you turn the bike off it should all turn off. If some or none of this doesn't work go back over your wiring to make sure everything is in the right place.

Here is a wiring diagram I drew up
    [IMG]

The loom you end up with with look something like this (although mine in this pic has an extra relay I was going to use for an LED spotlight for night enduros. The red bullet plugs go to the pressure switches.This pic has a couple of extra bullet plugs as I was trying to find the best way to wire it all up at the time. I have since tidied it all up.
    [IMG]

Now just find a nice way to route it from the left side, up to the front and then down the right side to the rear brake switch, shorten up the wires, wire in some waterproof plugs, encase in conduit, zip tie in and ride away.

Another pic and a vid I had

Wire and plug going to the tail light
    [IMG]

Video of it all working
    https://goo.gl/photos/q264YWptAnMJumzY9

Hope this helps
  10. Skurfer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC450
    Pics didn't link for some reason. I don't know how to edit a post so I'll add them here.

3 pin female plug under tank
    [IMG]

Wiring diagram
    [IMG]

Loom I made up (wasn't 100% finished and tidied up)
    [IMG]
  11. mkvisser Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2001 TE 570
    Wow skurfer. What an awesome reply. Thank you heaps for this. Will definitely help me a lot.
    Really appreciate the thorough explanation.
    Cheers