Tubeless Tires with a Tube on a Tube-Type Rim

Discussion in 'Common Items on Husqvarnas: Tires/tubes/grips/etc' started by SierraHusky, Jan 17, 2011.

1. SierraHusky Husqvarna
    B Class

I've checked all the results that come up on SEARCH as well Google searches and cannot find anything resembling a definitive response to this question: Can one run a tubeless type tire, with a tube installed on a tube type rim. Example: Pirelli Scorpion MT Tires on standard Excel TE510 wheels.

My reason is I plan to have a spare set of rims fitted with the tires referenced above in appropriate 18 & 21 inch sizes for use in gravel road/ asphalt backroad commuting duties. Not interested in a Motard setup as I do not wish to deal with frequent changes of sprockets/rotors/calipers.

All the questions I find tend to deal with running a tubeless tire on a tube rim, modified to do such without a tube. That is not my question.

Anyone have experience with my specific plan ?
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    People do that all the time with trails tires.
  3. SierraHusky Husqvarna
    B Class

T'wer my thought. I think I'll be OK. Just found this on Pirelli's website:

Tubeless Tires
    Tubeless tires require a special bead seat, because the beads have to form an airtight seal on the rim. Net all cast wheels, aluminum or magnesium, are suitable for tubeless tire fitment. Do not mount tires without tubes, unless the wheel manufacturer recommends it. If a tube is inserted, it is then possible to fit a tubeless tire to a tubetype rim.
  4. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    dozens of them, kicked to the curb
    yes. did with the MT gatorback's, pliot powers and others on motards.

may want to watch it on some at first if you go with low pressures. some radials/TL tires have aggressive inner carcasses and are not smooth. same generates heat.

if the inner side of the tire is butt-smooth like a tube type no worries at all at standard street pressures.
  5. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    I do, and have for years. :)
  6. ARod2000 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I do and have been for years as well. Even did 10+ races this season on a trials tire with a tube.

Kelly may recall that some people even try to replace a tube with grass.:lol::lol::lol: