TrailTech X2 fairing/headlight

Discussion in '610/630' started by Virginian, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Virginian Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '09 SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Moto Guzzi Griso SE Tenni
    I was looking around for a headlight solution for my bike. I've seen these before as most of you have but for some reason I had it in my mind that the X2 was not DOT approved. They have three variations now, off-road halogen, on/off road halogen (DOT), off-road HID. I ordered the on/off vehicle specific to Husky. It should be a plug and play. I'll post up when I install it with a few pics.

http://trailtech.net/husqvarna-x2-ds-halogen-kits.html

Dual-Sport X2 comes equipped with E-Marked lights that meet DOT requirements for road use. Not compatible with rock guard.
  2. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    I thought about a new headlight for my 630 due to the crappy lighting, and tried out a H4 HID conversion in the stock headlight, which was equally crappy, then I went back to halogen and supplemented the factory headlight with some 2000 lumen LED's in the sidepods, wired into the high beam with a relay. Couldn't be happier.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
  3. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Would this fit the 630 as well as the 610??
  4. Virginian Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '09 SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    I'm not sure and I would give them a call and see what they say. I would imagine the plug and play part would be OK with a propitiatory Husky plug.
  5. JonDirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610 2008
    Which model less did you go for? They look good.
  6. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    I went with THESE

But I got them from TESLALEDS.COM before he ran out of the 2000 lumen models. He is cheaper, but he only stocks the 3600 lumens now. Should be fine, but the 2000 is PLENTY and much more will seriously screw with your night vision, so you'll be blind once you turn them off :p

I've got some comparison video somewhere from my Contour, I'll have to dig it up later.
  7. BaronVonDarrin Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 te630
    Other Motorcycles:
    wr250r, CL175
    The h4 hid was crappy? why? shouldnt that be significantly brighter?
  8. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    Bright only counts if you can get a good beam pattern. I did every bit of tweaking I could, including entirely removing the emitter shield, but there was no way to get a good beam pattern with the 630 reflector. If I could get the throw to see where I was going straight ahead, I was blinding everyone on either side of center. It's a problem with the stock H4 bulb as well, the headlight seems to be more form over function...

Also, on low beam, the emitter solenoid was de-energized with a spring return, so the emitter (and the beam) would vibrate and dance all over the place.
  9. Virginian Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '09 SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    The TrailTech X2 arrived today & I'll install it this weekend. I'll post up how it goes and any pro or cons regarding this upgrade.

Eric
    [IMG]
  10. bronzebronco94 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    06 TE610 09 SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Rokon2x2, KZ1000,
    howd it go? any pros or cons?
  11. tunp Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    07 TE610, 13 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 990, 02 FLHTPI HD
    I have the off road halogen, makes a nice differance over stock. But you do have to relocate a few items for it to fit.
    this includes the horn and the some electric connectors
  12. Virginian Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '09 SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sorry folks! I forgot about following up on this install. Still a work in progress... :thinking:

Regarding moving the horn or wires behind was never an issue for me. The electrical connector they provided truly made this install a plug-n-play regarding wiring. :D

However, the fitment was another story. I had to shave some of the base with a Dremel cutting disc to get the fairing to lay flat and kind of wedged in the area. This was a slow porocess of taking a little off at a time and fitting. This picture really doesn't show how much was removed but hopefully you can get a idea.
    [IMG]

80% of how the fairing is attached to the bike is by two large rubber straps that wrap around the forks. Makes it super easy to pop off and on for bulb replacement, etc.
    [IMG]

Now like the stock headlight/fairing you have two prongs that fit into the fender. They provide a pattern to cut out and tape on for precise drilling of hole on the front fender. There's nothing to keep them attached to the fender itself so they tend to pop out on a ride.
    [IMG]

My fix for this is to remove the stock rubber grommets that secured the stock fairing, re-drill the holes in the front fender to the correct size and this should provide enough grab to hold the fairing in place. I haven't done this yet and need to get busy.

Here's a picture where the stock grommets exist now.
    [IMG]

With that said, the light output is tremendous! At least twice the light (seat of the pants measurement) I had before on both high and low beam.

I have another sticker being made as we speak to match the custom graphics that I had done on the bike earlier by Magik. I'll update this thread when I get that installed. Here's the finished product installed and ready to go.
    [IMG]

My conclusion on this product is 4 star rating out of 5. The only negative is I feel the attachment to the fender is lack luster at best. Does it do as advertised? Hell yeah and then some!
  13. Virginian Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '09 SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    I hope this thread helps some of you if you decide to trend in this direction. As always, thanks for reading.

Eric
  14. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    I didn't like the lower mounting either and came up with something different that is much more secure:
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    The hole in the bracket for the headlight is open ended and slotted for headlight adjustment, something that can't be done with the OEM or TrailTech mounting system.
    I have mounted three lights this way and have had no problems.
    XLEnduroMan, WoodsChick and Virginian like this.
  15. Virginian Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '09 SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Xcuvator, great idea! If my plan fails, I'll fab a bracket like yours and make this change. Thanks for posting!

Eric
  16. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    You're welcome Eric
    I like the LEDs you put on. I guess they fasten to the tank shrouds? I have the IMS tank,so I'd have to look at mounting to the lower triple clamp bolts. I already have a relay to power the low beam when high beam is on, so it would be an easy addition.
    BTW, I upgraded the photos above if you decide to make some brackets, might help.
    Virginian likes this.
  17. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    You talking to Eric or me about the LED's ? :thinking:
  18. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    Oops, I guess you are the one with the cool lights? Sorry.
  19. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    I really like the looks of the 630 lamp, it just sucks at throwing light...
  20. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    I like the looks too and looked around for one for my 610, but the TrailTech X2 is better so I'm glad I didn't find one.