Trail Tool Kit Help

Discussion in 'General (Main)' started by jtemple, Aug 20, 2011.

1. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    I have a TE630 and have put together a trail tool kit. It's HEAVY!

I'm looking for feedback on how to trim the fat.

I'm looking for replacement tools, whether they be smaller (as long as I don't give up too much functionality), titanium, or whatever. I'm also looking for feedback on things I can simply eliminate. I want to lighten the load and save space.

Here's what I pack.

Not shown are spare tubes, a mountain bike pump, and a fuel bottle.

[IMG]
  2. hogwackr Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    18 TE 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    13 HD Street Glide
    Holy Cow! Thats a lot of tools! When I get a new bike I go around every nut and bolt and see what tool fits them. In most cases you can get away with 1 or 2 allen wrenches, 1 pair of pliers, 2 maybe 3 wrenches, 1 ratchet a couple of sockets and a multi tip screwdriver. Plus tire accessories. Just my .02 :cheers:
  3. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    Yeah, I should probably strip it down for the shorter rides. I have actually done a couple tire changes, oil changes, gauge cluster swap and even a valve clearance check with what you see. I'm sure it's overkill.

What's pictured is what went on my CO trip with me. 2000 miles in 5 days, I wanted to be prepared. Turns out the only guy that needed the tools was the guy on the Goldwing. :)
  4. kevmack Husqvarna
    A Class

Well we dont bother with fuel bottles in the UK, we all carry what you call a "rubber" Now that is a spacesaver!! No its not a joke, honest, handy for filling at a gaspump..they are tested to 10gallons..but if out on the trail you need to "give" someone petrol because they always set of without a full tank...you know who you are!! then just fill from fueltank pipe...
    Handy space savers are an allen key/sockets/screwdrivers set as a fold-up penknife [sorry dont know how else to describe it] We generally look to carry kit on the bike so keeping rucksack lighter; so, tire irons zip-tie to the brace across the handlebar,covered by barpad. For the trail we carry a 21"[front] innertube on the front fender does for both front and rear-if you dont run mouses. oh if you ride regularly with the same crew, agree to carry just 1 set of tools between you instead of everyone duplicating..
  5. oneleven Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 630
    You could get rid of the needle nose pliers since you already have a leatherman type tool. Plus you already have wire cutters.
  6. raisrx251 Husqvarna
    AA Class

My opinion would be: Get a small stick style tire gauge if you have to carry one at a good auto parts store. Get a Fredette wrench and lose the husky wrench, it's got a few different sizes on the other end. You could probably get away with two tire irons and I like the small motion pro ones as it will save weight. I would also lose the 3/8" ratchet and get a 1/4" to 3/8" adapter for the 1/4 inch ratchet. Just go after your heavy stuff first. A cool little item I take in my fanny pack is a freezer zip lock bag, works good if someone runs out of gas. It's your butt out there though so whatever you feel comfortable with.
  7. raisrx251 Husqvarna
    AA Class

bax3 and WHITEROCKET5.9 like this.
  8. kevmack Husqvarna
    A Class

OK but remember RIDE SAFE!!!
    WHITEROCKET5.9 likes this.
  9. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    I appreciate everyone's input!

I think some tool shopping is in order.
  10. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    You forgot a floor jack and an air compressor and a tire changing station with an assortment of tires and maybe an extra engine. :D JK

Seriously though, you have 4 pairs of pliers when one multi pair would do. 2 Lightweight tire irons with a bead buddy or 3 without a bead buddy would do. One multi screw driver with some sockets to use as a nut driver and you could lose the ratchets all together. Without a stock of parts what exactly are you planning to do out on the trail anyway?

I figure all that is practical is a way to fix a flat, tighten a thing or two, some zip ties, some safety wire, a little hose and duct tape and the rest of the tools can stay in the truck.
  11. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    Lots of great ideas here, thanks folks. I'm buying a few tools right now to trim the fat. For the record, my pictured tool kit weighs 11 lbs, 9 oz.

Once I have trimmed it down I'll take some pics and report the weight.
  12. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    I ordered some Motion Pro stuff to trim the fat:

T-6 Combo Tire Levers (2)

5/16" 1/4" drive deep socket (for the bits below)

3 Piece Bit Set, #2&3 Phillips, 4.6&5.6 Straight, M5&6 Hex

T-6 Combo Lever Adapter 27mm to 3/8 In Drive (turns my tire lever into a 3/8" ratchet)

Folding T-Handle Wrench w/Sockets (going to scrap the 1/4" ratchet for this)

T-6 Trail Bead Buddy

I have also used the advice given above to eliminate some tools from the kit completely.
  13. Bagman Husqvarna
    A Class

I have learned that the older I get, the smarter I get. Now, I hand my tool bag to one of the youngsters [son in law or grandson] & look with a grimmance & say"can you take this for awhile, my back is killing me". Usually works!:D
    WHITEROCKET5.9 and hogwackr like this.
  14. CJBROWN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    '15 R1200GS
    Ha, that's my plan :thumbsup:
    Kid gets the spare tube and tool roll. I've pretty much consolidated mine as the others have described and it comes in about 5lbs. I can deal with that if I have to.

Last weekend we used it. The bolt head broke off and my muffler went flying (KTM 250) but fortunately I carry a few M6-M10 bolts and nuts in the roll. Easy trail fix. Also had to change a plug on another bike, had the right wrench and a spare.

I also carry asst. zip-ties, 20ga wire, duct tape around a short pencil, asst hose clamps, a tire valve core and remover, asst fasteners, fuel hose, electrical tape, plug for each type of bike and wrench, mini-vice grips, pocket chain breaker and master link, and probly some other stuff I can't recall.

The fredette axle wrench I'll usually zip tie to the subframe in the airbox (KTM), tire irons can go there too, or put them in a fender bag with a patch kit and CO2 inflators. On the streetbike I have a plugger kit.

I have everything on a spreadsheet if anyone is interested. You can edit and use for a checklist, start a new sheet for camping gear items.
    WHITEROCKET5.9 and lankydoug like this.
  15. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I picked this up from Nashbar and replaced a few of the items to suit the motorcycle.. Has worked very well, compact and light. Will get some photos of the revised contents and what else I carry soon.

[IMG]
  16. robertk61 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WR250
    These are really good quality and light weight (tyre levers)
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/180565980981#ht_500wt_949

You can also get additional pieces to undo axle nuts and a really good chain breaker, all work together as a system. I have used the levers and they work really well, and you can use the extra hex sizes to get rid of some spanners.

Other things I have in my toolkit are:
    Leatherman (have pliers/sidecutters covered with this)
    1/4 drive 2 inch and 4 inch extensions, 8 and 10mm sockets, t/bar for this and flat/star drive bits to fit.
    A combo flat/star screwdriver
    8 and 10mm combo spanners
    patch kit with a co2 bottle
    various size bolts/nuts
    zip ties
    lighter

All in fender bag and weighs about 2 kg (3 1/2 lbs?/)

If I am on a longer ride, I will carry a 21 inch tube in my backpack
  17. raisrx251 Husqvarna
    AA Class

On the valve core remover, again at a good auto parts store you can find a metal core remover that works as a tire valve cap. The plastic ones that come on some tubes always seem to break,
  18. BadMotoWeazal Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I know things happen, but I like to do most of my wrenching at the house so I don't have to do it on the trail.

I carry a zip ties, multitool/leatherman, sparkplug, 2-3 extra bolts in various sizes, 3 allen wrenches, a small ratchet & 3 sockets & a master link. I'll ride a flat out of the woods.

Sounds like you (the OP) made some good selections on the tool ordering.. G/L & here's to not having to use them!!!
  19. Runner Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE510
    jtemple, you have a terrible amount of redundancy in your kit. Try to make one tool do multiple functions. Here's a few ideas, which you should expand upon.

1. Lowes or Home Depot sells a two ended ratchet that is both 1/4" and 3/8" drive. This eliminate one ratchet and the socket adapters.
    2. Once you air down your tires, you won't need the tire pressure gage for the rest of the ride, unless you get a flat, then you'll be happy with any amount of air in it after fixing the flat. Leave it in the truck. Another tool out.
    3. You have huge Allen keys, get a tiny folding set from a bicycle shop and dump the set, and the few you have as sockets. Many tools out.
    4. An adjustable wrench will eliminate the open end wrenches. Six tools out.
    5. Make do with one pair of pliers, your choice. Three tools out.
    Ad infinitim. Take a picture when you're done to compare the result.
  20. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    Here we go. I did some shopping and trimmed the fat. The whole kit now weighs 3 lbs 6 oz.

I also pack tubes, but they are not included in the weight.

[IMG]

One thing I just removed was the spark plug socket. Do I need to be able to pull the spark plug on the trail?