TR650 USB CHARGER

Discussion in 'TR650' started by Extraplomo, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Extraplomo Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 terra
    Hi all, I want to show you my USB Charger installation.

IMG_3852.JPG
  2. run-it Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    '04 Guzzi V11
    And I want to see it! :D Oh, there it is, it's a little dark but I can make it out. I put mine on the bottom side of the headlight housing.

[IMG]

[IMG]
    PaulC, Bikerdude and Santi Beard like this.
  3. Extraplomo Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 terra
  4. Extraplomo Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 terra
    I use a two ports USB and a switch to turn off the charger and don't run out of battery.

IMG_3851.jpg
  5. Extraplomo Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 terra
    It l
  6. walt bowen Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Champaign Moto Guzzi Lemans
    Hey, Run-It . . . I'm really digg'in that, neat and out of the way! I'm in the process of doin the same, what type of usb plug did you use and where did you tie it in power wise?
  7. run-it Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    '04 Guzzi V11
    I use it with the nexus7 tablet - Ram makes a mount specifically for it which is plenty sturdy. I DO have an issue that I need to resolve though, the tablet will draw more current than the adapter puts out :( but it may be an easy fix if or when I get around to it.:)

[IMG]
  8. Chuffa Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    XT250
    Does the tablet get hot like a phone does in a tank bag map pocket? I'm looking at ram mounting an iPad mini but I'm concerned it will get too hot.
  9. Extraplomo Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 terra
    That looks really great! I think it will only take longer to charge, because it get less power. I also will try with my ipad mini.
  10. walt bowen Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Champaign Moto Guzzi Lemans
    As far as the plug goes, is it a 12v. to usb plug? I'm tryin to keep from going to a normal 12v female acc. to a male 12v usb as this gets a lot larger depending on where you put it.
  11. run-it Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    '04 Guzzi V11
    I don't think it will get too hot mounted on handlebars, mine doesn't. This setup isn't perfect but it can work well...

PROS
    There is switched power for you to use already in the headlight box
    7" display
    Android tablet so you can use it for other things besides navigation & motorcycling. You could buy one as a Valentine's gift for example- clever huh?;)
    Not a lot of money
    Ram specific mount available
    Bluetooth turn by turn navigation if you want to use it

CONS
    Display isn't real bright on sunny days even with an anti glare screen
    Touch screen isn't responsive (enough) with gloves on - you can use a stylus as a work around
    PaulC, Chuffa and thumperstruck like this.
  12. msmith345 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '12 WR250, '92 360, '80 390
    Other Motorcycles:
    '72 Yamaha R5, '17 SV650
    That's going to be a problem with MOST newer devices.

The USB standard is for 500mA. Which is what would be a "slow-charge" as plugged in to the port on a computer. Most cell phone/tablet chargers today are 1.5-2A. Running the GPS, with the screen as bright as it will go will be consuming more than the 500mA could maintain. A 1 amp, might be able to handle it, but I wouldn't count on it for a tablet. The killer is the screens, they're just not efficient. And if you're on back roads, and you might be switching from 4g to 3g to roaming, and back, all that searching also consumes a lot of power.

So, if you're shopping for a charger to gut for this, then check what kind of current it supplies to the device. I used a $10 one that was next to a $15 one which was only 500mA compared to 1A of the cheaper one. It's not in a mini-altoids can in my tank bag, with a wire that comes out to a powerlet plug that goes into my left shroud -- which is then wired to a relay that is triggered by my tail light. I also run my grips from there. Works well for me, but the phone will get hot from the sun if I put it in the window of my tank bag. Giant Loop didn't exactly make those things so they breath.
  13. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    67 Bonnie, 68 Tiger, 11 Ural........
    msmith is spot-on concerning the charging current. This is why I went with the standard 12v accessory outlet direct connected to the battery. I have a 1.5a dual USB charger that fits fairly flush into my 12v outlet. This allows me to charge my accessories with the bike off when camping. It also gives me enough amperage to charge my Android. Most standard USB chargers are going to be 500mA, hence why I opted for the two-for-one 12v outlet with the beefier USB adapter.
  14. thumperstruck Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada

Question Run-it. What switched power are you talking about in the headlight box? Pictures any thing?
  15. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    67 Bonnie, 68 Tiger, 11 Ural........
    There are quite a few switched leads in the headlight housing. I'm guessing he just tapped into one for his positive wire. Posi-taps are your friend in this application...unless you like soldering wires.

[IMG]
  16. run-it Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    '04 Guzzi V11
    PaulC and thumperstruck like this.
  17. Chuffa Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    XT250
    Maybe "ThumbDogs" might be worth a try if you need to use the touchscreen regularly.
    PaulC and run-it like this.
  18. run-it Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    '04 Guzzi V11
    The mfr CLAIMS a rating of 2.1A on this USB charger & hopefully I can convert to a "dedicated charging port" by jumping the data pins. Others have been successful with this unit doing that but we'll see how it works with the N7! :)
  19. msmith345 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '12 WR250, '92 360, '80 390
    Other Motorcycles:
    '72 Yamaha R5, '17 SV650

Is it 1 or 2 port? If it's 2, they usually split that rating between the two ports (i.e. 1.1A x 2 ports), so unless you bridge the +5v connectors in there, you will only be able to use 1.1A. If it's a single plug that won't be a problem.
    run-it likes this.
  20. thumperstruck Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Awesome run-it. Thank you sir.