TR650 Test Ride...

Discussion in '610/630' started by TAC630, Sep 29, 2012.

1. TAC630 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMS630
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 990 ADV, Triumph Sprint, GS1100E
    Just got back from a short test ride on the Terra TR650. I can say anyone looking for a single adventure bike needs to consider this one. I'm waiting to see the Strada and test ride it (maybe next week) but I was impressed with the power and smoothness of this bike. It is not a dirt bike but for me it may be perfect. I'm going to put my 2007 KTM990 Adventure up for sell and get one. I did the test ride at Bill's Motorcycles here in Salem, OR, great folks to deal with.
    Netteb16, Motosportz and Lonfish like this.
  2. XLEnduroMan Heroes Ride Huskys. The others follow.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '18 Husqvarna 701 Enduro.
    Other Motorcycles:
    '20 Ducati Hypermotard 950.
    How does the motor/power feel compared to your 630? The 5 speed gearbox and cable clutch?
  3. TAC630 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMS630
    Other Motorcycles:
    The motor in the TR650 is tighter and less buzzy. On the bottom end the SMS630 feels faster but the TR650 has much more power on the top, it may be gearing. Shifting is good and smooth but I did hit a false neutral twice but you would adapt quickly it just takes a little more lever throw. Actually I have always felt that a clutch with a cable has a little more feel but that just may be me. The 5-speed seems fine for this engine it has good torque. Like I mentioned it is a good adventure bike more that a dedicated dirt bike. I hope to get a longer test ride on a Strada when they get one.
    Muddy Waters likes this.
  4. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    I rode one of the bikes at Bill's today too and didn't want to bring it back. I agree that the lack of six speed may be a non-issue. The motor is very torquey and I think with tall final drive gearing first gear should still be very usable at low speed. Everything about the bike including the clutch and transmission feels super smooooth.
    I didn't spend alot of time looking it over but noticed a couple of things:
    Thought and time was put into making service and installation of accessories easier.
    The seat comes off in a flash by turning the key in a latch at the rear. the fuel pump flange and airfilter cover are then staring you in the face. It looks like the pump can be removed for filter change withou removing or even completly draining the tank.
    Draining the BMW oil tank at oil change has been messy and time consuming and the husky has a drain for it just under the tank.
    The headlight mask already has four screws already in place for mounting a windscreen and there are at least two of the luggage rack mounting points in place.
    I'm looking forward to taking the demo bike out when it gets here for a little longer ride.
    I could see myself really racking up some serious mile on this one.

No dog in the fight.
    Muddy Waters likes this.
  5. XLEnduroMan Heroes Ride Huskys. The others follow.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '18 Husqvarna 701 Enduro.
    Other Motorcycles:
    '20 Ducati Hypermotard 950.
    The TR sounds good. I bet these bikes won't be sitting long on the dealer's floor. :thumbsup:
  6. TAC630 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMS630
    Other Motorcycles:
    I agree with Xcuvator and the price is right when compared to the BMW version. It looks like the new Givi Trekker bags are going to be the factory option.
  7. elpedro Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 SMR630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sportster 883
    I saw it at SixDays in Germany on friday and I have to say it is the ugliest motorcycle I have ever seen. I'm glad it rides better than it looks...
    LRPct likes this.
  8. JonXX Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    360CR 360WR SM610 TC450 TXC250 TC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hondas, Harleys, Yammys & a squid
    Well duh, it's a BMW, what did you expect, something attractive?
  9. Muddy Waters Husqvarna
    AA Class

This is slowly turning out to be much better then I expected
  10. TAC630 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMS630
    Other Motorcycles:
    I actually think it is a good looking bike but I have always like a bike more for how they make me feel. (Now some old girl friends come to mind) Those are the keepers. :D
  11. elpedro Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 SMR630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sportster 883
    I dont think BMWs are bad looking motorcycles. But when I saw Husqvarna motorcycles for 2013 I got strange feeling that Husqvarna is slowly turning to shit on purpose and we'll be seeng BMW enduro bikes in a few years. (Nuda is a nice bike though)
  12. JonXX Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    360CR 360WR SM610 TC450 TXC250 TC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hondas, Harleys, Yammys & a squid
    The BMW design department is definitely taking the curb appeal of the Huskies to the weird side, gotta be like the new mothership apparently. I wish they were less "angular" and squared off, and more soft curves and swoop to them. The Nuda R sends me into a drooling lustful tizzy (and I will buy one as soon as they're in the states), but it's freakin' WEIRD looking. The Moab as well - the lines are too squared off.

It's just my aesthetic opinion and it's worth every penny you paid for it.

Um...BMW's purchase of Husqvarna is why we *don't* see BMW enduro bikes anymore. Unless of course you count the TE449.
  13. Travis Shrey Husqvarna
    A Class

Why is it people are test riding these things in dealerships and I can't find more than 1 ride review online?
  14. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Type TR650 in google and sort by time posted and there is about 4-6 short tests. All seem very positive. I hope to have one of these very shortly for a full writeup and parts build.

As for looks it is changing but I like it. My 511 looks fururistic and new and IMHO makes my buddies TE310 look old and dated when side by side. Buddy with a new KTM said the same thing.
  15. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    If you are referring to a tradition review in a magazine which is also on the internet...

Philosophical question: what is the difference between those reviews and the comments written above? (I really am curious)
  16. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    the ones here are much more honest and detailed. But might be slightly biased as well.
  17. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    There is something else... I just cannot put my finger on it. Been groping for that information for years.
  18. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    None of us are being swayed by advertising dollars :D
    WoodsChick and Coffee like this.
  19. Travis Shrey Husqvarna
    A Class

The ones here are fine, but they are a couple of sentences. If you Google for reviews only Cycle World has a review where they actually spent time with it. All the others I found were pretty much press releases saying what is coming out. I was hoping for more depth and reviews from people who don't normally ride a dual sport. We all know and accept the tradeoffs of having one of these machines. I like hearing about complaints from people who don't have any idea what they might be giving up.
  20. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Good chance i will be picking one up from Bills tomorrow and I'll report ASAP on what i think of it.