TR650 skidplate done, here are the details...

Discussion in 'Motosportz' started by Motosportz, Dec 5, 2012.

1. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    I

I'll take a silver one! Might be picking up my bike in a few days :D
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    If there is real demand I can build some simple add on wings for the front that simply bolt on. I did not want to drive the cost through the roof.
    Tinken likes this.
  3. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Nice. Look forward to your epic photoblogs on this bike.
    WoodsChick likes this.
  4. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    Thanks! And I'm looking forward to posting them :)

(sent you an e-mail this morning about the skid plate and some clamps for 1 1/8" bars)
  5. mario33 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra'13 - Lady in Red 2
    Other Motorcycles:
    none
    I dont want to be poking my nose where I shouldnt, but maybe its worth to take alternative route ? You're making fantastic things for dirt/trail bikes but for dual-sporters you need to listen to users needs more :D I'm not an expert by any means, but I've been using true DS bikes for quite some time (some as heavy as 500 lbs dry).

First of all, I think that DS skid plate might by less sturdy/thick (as bottoming down on rocks or trees is less probable). On the other hand, protection against flying debris needs to be extensive. That involves side/front protection against stones being thrown up. Ie. the plate might be cheaper but still offer better extensive coverage.

Look at what Touratech usually does - in this case G650GS:

[IMG]

Your plate is MUCH better quality I suppose BUT I would still choose their plate. I will not be doing much heavy off-roading on this bike, but still I want it covered where it needs to be covered. And those exposed lines frighten me a lot... I believe 90% of DS users would say the same...

And, if its heavier by even 5 pounds, its nothing against bikes overall weight. It really makes no difference when the bike weighs 405 lbs instead of 400...

I'm not saying that to criticise your work, Kelly. As I said, I like it very much ! Its just my opinion to help you with getting your products better. Remember, TT comes with their TR650's stuff in January. And they're gonna take that market away... which is a pity as your products ARE better.
  6. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    No problem, there are always opinions and various needs. I built what I thought was important to most, a super strong plate to protect that case and oil line. A full coverage roost guard from sheet aluminum would be simple to add on if the user needed to and we might just build such a thing so people have the option.
  7. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    I like the bash bar, you know people are going to get "lazy bike syndrome" with the TR. lol
  8. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Build it and they will buy, or at least I will, and it seems like others will too. :cheers:

(still working on getting a bike though)
    mario33 and Tinken like this.
  9. blaine.hale Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Terra TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    1973 BMW r75, 1974 BMW R90, Bultaco
    I was a bit torn between being the early adopter on this or wait for a more coverage one like the touratech. Ultimately I landed on this plate because I'm not going to be stump jumping or single tracking this bike. It's not built to do that! One of the biggest pluses to this plate is being able to put the bike on a stand now. That makes it 10x more easy to work on. Tire changes, hello!!
    MattR likes this.
  10. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Nonsense... Before too long, someone will be putting knobbies on a Nuda 900 and racing it up the iron giant..
  11. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    That's just silly talk...

[IMG]
    pvduke likes this.
  12. Ol'NumNuts Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Wantin a Terra 650
    Now there's a thought...

Clearly the current skid plate is the ducks nuts for solid mounted skid plate protection...

The idea of a thin plate 'shoe' that attaches over this plate is a great idea... It's an upgrade option that would provide the roost/rock/splash protection that people are looking for and could be almost considered as a sacrificial item...

Sure you might have take the 'shoe' off to change the oil... But so what? Two or at most 4 grub screws would cover it...

Yeah, that sounds like the best of both worlds...
    Clete likes this.
  13. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I had a customer contact me that the cap for the right rear side mount was interfering with his chain. On my install the mount goes just inside the chain. On his there is a big weld glob keeping it from sliding over. We are making a smaller profile cap for that mount now to eliminate that issue. Feel free to hack up the one you have if you have this issue and I'll send you a new one shortly. Thanks.
  14. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    We are working on some add on sheetmetal wings. Will be a little bit but we are doing it.
    mario33 and Tinken like this.
  15. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR250R, GoldWing, Africa Twin
  16. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Finally got the black ones from ano and they look great. I will ship these out Monday as it is to late today to do so and we are modifying one of the caps for the rear mount to not interfere with the chain on some bikes. Sorry about the delay again.

[IMG]

We are modifying the chain side top cap to remove the aluminum in the blacked out area. Anyone having this issue contact me for a replacement cap. thanks

[IMG]
  17. blaine.hale Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Terra TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    1973 BMW r75, 1974 BMW R90, Bultaco
    Ahhm , worth the wait! Those black ones look snazzy.
  18. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Looks as if it´ll withstand at least a wog IED.
    Blakelpd5 likes this.
  19. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    All plates ordered have shipped. thanks all.

Kelly
    Tinken likes this.
  20. kjackbrown Keep on keepin on.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR650
    Hey Kelly,

I have not purchased my TR yet but it will be happening as soon as my insurance pays me off on my recently stolen (and HIGHLY farkled) KLR.

Anyways....
    I was wondering how the "wings" option was coming along? I know once you have a prototype completed you will post pics...but I was just interested in how it was going to turn out.

Also (and more importantly to me), is there any way possible to special order a skid plate assy (and the future wing add on) done in the red anodize like your bar risers!?!? I guess I could just get a raw al set and powder coat them...but the red ano you use looks pretty sweet and will perfectly match the other stuff I will be ordering from you here shortly.

Kev.