Tr650 Low On Oil And Coolant, Erratic Idle

Discussion in 'TR650' started by _rieska_, Mar 12, 2018.

1. _rieska_ Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husqvarna WR 250 -87
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZR 1000 EXUP
    I'm currently looking to buy a 2013 650 terra with 20000 km's on it. The bike started and ran good, although the idle was a bit erratic (temperature was about -5 celsius). After that I was checking the bike and I noticed that there were no oil in reservoir and the coolant reservoir was also empty. Owner told me that he had checked the oil level in the end of summer and that it had been OK.

Bike had good service history and it was ridden only 40km after 20000km service which included valve clearances, air filter, oil and filter. Overall bike was in very clean and good condition, couldn't notice any signs of leaks or damage from crashing. Bike had been standing still for 6 months in cold storage.

As far as I'm concerned bike has dry sump on it, so is it possible that the oil had flown from tank into engine during winter? How long should it take for excess oil to return to tank?

We filled coolant and it seemed that only reservoir was empty. Do you think I should be concerned about this?

I checked service history from local dealer and they told me the bike had open recall (ECU remapping). Do you think surging/erratic idle would fix with updated ECU mapping?
  2. LED Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    The oil level needs to be checked certain way. From the owner's manual.
    Capture.JPG
  3. Mark_H Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR 650 Strada; 2015 Nuda 900R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda XRM 125, Kawasaki Curve 115
    Was there "no oil in the reservoir" or was it maybe just off the stick?
    Perhaps at the last service they did not quite fill it correctly and the level dropped a little through being stored standing so long.
    With that kind of recent service and a good history, it would appear to be a pretty good bike.
    Erratic idle is common and possibly due to fuel and atmospheric conditions at the time.
    If it has had the recall and ECU Remapping by Magnetti Marelli then all s good.
    Idling and other fuelling issues are easy fixed by TPS and Idle actuator resets and/or fuelling adaptation resets.
    glitch_oz likes this.
  4. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    Right ^^check the oil level again after its been run and warm. Switching to waterless coolant will be a huge benefit. These run hot and you'll never lose coolant, unless it has a bad head gasket or other obvious coolant leak.
    duibhceK and PaulC like this.
  5. DanD Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    '98 R1200C, '04 R1150RS, '13 WR250R
    Just FYI, the difference between the "Full" mark on the dipstick and no oil showing on the dipstick is less than 1/2 liter.

Best to add only 1/10th liter at a time to avoid over filling. :thumbsup:
    glitch_oz likes this.
  6. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada
    I've only ever run bog-standard coolant in all my vehicles...and NEVER had ANY of them (incl. the TR) "lose" coolant (bar leaks or head-gasket issues).
    And yes, I live in a "hot environment" here in Aus.

Waterless = snakeoil IMHO...
  7. Mark_H Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR 650 Strada; 2015 Nuda 900R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda XRM 125, Kawasaki Curve 115
    +1

Totally unnecessary to run anything but normal coolant. If waterless is so good then manufacturers of high end bikes and race teams would use it exclusively, but they do not.
    glitch_oz likes this.
  8. PaulC F class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2 2018 YZ 450F, 2019 CRF1000AT

Ok ill bite!. If you want to run coloured acidic water that's your prerogative. Each to there own.
    A lot of race teams do use waterless, especially in motocross where mud, no fan and advanced ignition timing all equal more engine heat.
    My gen 1 KLR engine corroded from the inside. I first noticed overheating becoming an issue at about 85/90000klms and it progressively got worse. With 146000 thou & 13 years its was game over.

With waterless theres no corrosion, barely any pressure and expansion, better thermals and its longer lasting.
    If your stuck at the black stump you can add water and why wouldn't you.
    Ive run waterless from the first service. The TR won't go like the KLR
    Cost is the only downside, could that be it;)

ps One should be careful about purchasing an aged water cooled motorcycle
    Huskynoobee likes this.
  9. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    Yeah us dumb Yanks are prone to try anything different. Good on ya for sticking with boil-prone water based coolant. You really should just use straight water for the best performance
    glitch_oz likes this.
  10. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada
    Lots of good points to think about.:notworthy: