Torque wrench comparison : Snap on vs Harbor freight

Discussion in 'General (Main)' started by ptkatoomer, Feb 26, 2019.

1. ptkatoomer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2020 ktm 300 xc-w, 2020 ktm 500exc
  2. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Not surprised really. I have been using their standard line of Pittsburgh hand tools, including their inexpensive torque wrenches. These are a good value for the money.
  3. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    73 450WR 6spd motor in a 75 MK frame
    I've used HFT for decades and have come to refer to them as The Disposable Tool Company. But in recent years a few of their tools have been getting very good reviews on their website telling me that they are working on improving the quality of their stuff. I still think they have a long ways to go to have the same overall quality reputation as the Snap Ons's, Matco's, and Mac's of the world.

As for price, well in some cases these other guys have made a bad reputation for themselves as being rip-offs but then how do justify price when one tool is made in a developing country and another tool is made in a country that seeks to provide things like a living wage, healthcare, and education. And not just for its citizens but for anyone on its soil.

Bottom line, I think a person needs to decide what their personal need in a tool is, i.e. light or heavy use, and if they can buy an import brand cheaper for that particular need.
  4. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    If you want to save on a torque wrench the beam type is the best option. Simplicity and the fact that if they get messed up and out of calibration you can tell because the pointer won't return to zero. Also the click type can easily get out of calibration if you use them to loosen things. They have ratchet heads on them but it's not a good idea to switch directions on them.