1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Tool kit for my new rack

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Joliet, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Joliet Husqvarna
    AA Class

I made a tool container to fit on my recently installed (http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/rear-rack.16022/) Nomadic Rack. I made it out of some 3” abs plastic pipe and a couple of (glue in) internal fittings with screw in insert that I got at the local Home Depot. The container fits down in the rack far enough that the lids can’t unscrew without removing it. The pipe thread lids are very tight when flush, so tight you could never get them off in the field. One end I screwed in as is with tools, the other I worked in and out with grease and abrasive in the threads, until I was able to screw it in flush with just my fingers.

You could make up a nice tool wrap to use, but I am just going to fill it with tools and see how it works. I figure if I get it full enough it won’t rattle (much). 7-3/4” is the longest wrench you can carry. It has a volume of about 55 cubic inches (if my math is right). Empty with lids it weighs just under 1 pound. I am securing it to the rack with a 1” wide by 1/16” thick Kevlar strap with an over-center buckle to hold it tight. It is probably overkill, but I don’t want to loose my tools. I will be carrying this and an MSR fuel bottle on the rack. I will try to get out this weekend to properly test it out.

Next I will be figuring a way to attach my waterproof pelican case to the rack. Ken
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Looks nice and brings back fond memories of Hodaka tool canisters.[IMG]
  3. ioneater Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TXC 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 Sprint
    Are you going to protect the MSR with a wrap or rubber cushions or something? I think it'll chafe through that aluminum bottle real quick if left metal to metal in the rack. Nice solution for carrying "stuff"!
  4. Joliet Husqvarna
    AA Class

I am going to cover the tubing of the rack with some 3/4 id thin wall poly tubing. I am just going to cut 3" long pieces and slit it lengthwise and slid it over the rack. I was toying with the idea of sliding the entire bottle into a sleeve, but I will try covering the rack tubing first, as I already have the poly tubing for that. I am still waiting for my neighbor to finish sewing the strap onto the buckle so I can cinch it down and see how it looks.
  5. Dustsucker Husqvarna
    AA Class

Sweet Find, Do you think This would fit along with a Giant Loop Bag?
  6. Joliet Husqvarna
    AA Class

I am counting on it. I just ordered one last week, and it will be here later this week. I will post up pics when I get it installed.
  7. ThunderPaw Husqvarna
    B Class

I have used old inertubes on MSR bottles in the past. It gives them a little more traction to whatever their cinched to.
    That's a well designed tool tube, i like the way it nestles into the rack.
  8. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 450 - last of the ITA motors
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    I dont think we can get ABS pipe like that in Texas, wish we could, I'd make one of these for mine.
  9. Joliet Husqvarna
    AA Class

My Giant Loop bags came in. The rear bag (MoJavi) will just be for extended trips, and will not be on for day rides. The tank bag (Buckin Roll) carries a spare 18” and 21” tube, second wind air pump, (6) co2 cartridges, tire irons, 75 feet of tow rope, baby powder, patch kit, tire guage, axle wrench, spare nuts, bolts and assorted small parts, and will be on the bike all the time.

The MoJavi bag fits nicely with the rack, Everything seems very secure, but I need to get out and do a shakedown run. I wish the tank bag didn’t cover the gas cap so much, but it only takes 30 seconds to pop it off to fuel.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]