1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st To reiterate, check your sprocket bolts often, or else...

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Crocus Paper, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Crocus Paper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Scorpa 300 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750
    Husky sproc2.jpg

Anyone know who makes a replacement Hub?

Bolts had lock nuts and loctite on. I always check them for a few rides after disturbance, they havn't been touched for ages, obviously need checking every ride. Damn.
    steadydirt likes this.
  2. eurocycle01 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    13 gas gas ec300
    Wow!
    I've never had a problem with this but I purchased the motion pro torque adaptor
    this year and use a torque wrench on the backside nuts instead of holding the nut and
    torqueing the hex on the head side. Good way just to make sure proper torque.
    Paint mark the nuts and check each ride.
    Also did some checking and noticed that it is real easy to use sprocket bolts that have a
    longer shank that ends up having the nut bottom on that shank instead of torqueing properly.
    I've been using Hub-Savers branded euro hub savers sprocket bolts pn#2401-0858 and these
    work perfect in length for wr and cr hubs.
    I sent you a pm also, I might have a hub for you.
    Thanks
    NCSteve likes this.
  3. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    The lock nuts should have held...

but my italian husky's stock sprocket bolts were 34mm total length (everybody elses in the world are 31mm. if you're using aftermarket sprocket bolts, you cannot use the washers that sometimes come with them. even still, with final torque you will only get half a thread out the end of the nut. check them every time until you get them to stay tight for at least 3 rides- then you'll probably never have to worry about them again.

I can't remember if I compared nut heights.

<hate to suggest this--> you could probably ride with the broken hub flange while you wait for a new wheel or hub.
  4. silverstreakNZ Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82cr500,76gp360,90wr250,81 420AXC
    Other Motorcycles:
    74 tm400 , 02 gasgas ec 300
    I would name this thread do your sprocket bolts up properly . That involves doing checking on them until they no longer require checking as mentioned above .
    You can spot movement easily because there will be aluminum paste around the holes in the same way rust stains appear around loose wheel nuts on big trucks
    Trenchcoat85 likes this.
  5. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    Seen this a few times on RHS drive huskies. I guess torque from sprocket is constantly trying to undo them. I check them periodically with spanner but generally just check the thread protrusion out of nut is similar on all 6. I'm sure halls, bills or motosportz mike would have a spare hub
    Trenchcoat85 likes this.
  6. Crocus Paper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Scorpa 300 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750
    The ironic thing is, about a month ago I found my sons RM125 rear sprocket bolts loose so took him under the 'tree of knowledge', he promptly tightened them and keeps them tight.

Bolts were all tight the last time I checked, and before that, and before that etc, correct length bolts were fitted, although I lost one ages ago and replaced it, the replacement was slightly longer but not thread bound, maybe something there? Also I tightened the chain before going out, defo not over tight, but maybe with the gritty mud or even a stone (was a few rocks and stones on the circuit) between chain and sprocket, could have had something to do with it.

Seems like I made a basic error here. But a search on this forum does reveal a few broken.
  7. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

The new hubs that husky went to in 2011 require the longer (34mm) bolts, the rest of them I believe are 31mm.
    Trenchcoat85 likes this.
  8. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Crocus, if I were you- I would just resign myself to taking an extra 23 seconds before every ride and putting a 12mm wrench on every sprocket nut. Once you establish that habit, you will probably never have an issue again. (and forget what I said above about the tight-for-3-rides thing... there's something else going on here).

IOW- putting gas in the bike? check the nuts. Coolant check? then check the nuts. Air pressure gauge is out? check the nuts. Peek at the air filter? check the nuts. Once this gets burned into your brain, you won't be able to go anywhere without a wrench on sprocket nuts.

BTW, just use a light torque 15ft/lbs (~20Nm??) at the most... because you're just trying to detect loose nuts. But once you find one- tighten it up, of course.
  9. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    The 250/300 never used the newer hubs though, always the older, bigger, grey hubs.....I think
  10. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

This is true, the new hubs were used on the x-lites, 125, and 449/511.
    Trenchcoat85 likes this.
  11. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    are the old hubs magnesium? kinda looks that way in the first image... but I don't know.
  12. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM250xc, KTM500mx, KTM440exc
    oh... ouch.
    I've seen this from 1) loose sprocket bolts, 2) chain too tight.
  13. fastkx125 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    I lost a few of mine also. Lucky a friend noticed and said something before it went wrong.
  14. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I loaned my 2005 TE 510 to a friend to do the Idaho City qualifier and the rear hub ended up with a broken ear just like that. I had it fixed and continued to use it on my 510 and it is now running around on the back of my TE 449 more than 10 years later.
  15. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I always loctite my sprocket bolts now regardless of any locking feature on the nuts.
  16. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    rancher1,

do you think the newer hubs were designed to have thicker flanges when husky (or beta, GG or whoever uses 'em) noticed a high number of breakages? or hell- do they even have thicker flanges? The sprocket bolt would indicate that they're 3mm thicker, I guess.

and i wonder why the right-hand drive bikes did not get new hubs? (less torque? too many in stock? too expensive? no huge problem?). Is flipping the wheels around possible (IOW, will a 510 wheel work on a WR300)?

while I'm at it: why is a 125 left hand drive, since the '90s I guess?
  17. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trenchcoat, the newer hubs were produced to go to "japanese indexing" for lacing the spokes. I believe the flanges are thicker but I have not measured them. I am guessing the WR 250/300 was to be done later with the new hubs, but maybe they had an excess ? You can run the wheels on the other machines but you would need to replace the rear chain guide with something like a BRP guide that has more clearance for the chain. The 125 motor was redesigned for 1998.
    Trenchcoat85 likes this.
  18. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    thanks for taking the time for such a complete response to my dam-burst of questions. I'm 60, but I think I drove my dad nuts with questions when I was a kid... and I've never stopped. :oldman:
  19. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I was fortunate enough to have a good connection for information for quite a while and I do not mind sharing it. I also help locals with their husky stuff to save them money since I have a lot of husqvarna shop tools.
    taps, shawbagga and Trenchcoat85 like this.
  20. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    well, I very much appreciate your contributions- I learn a lot. and I too will occasionally lend specialty tools to help a fellow husky rider out, but I don't have many to lend. Actually, a fellow Washingtonian has my entire inventory right now (a flywheel puller and holder- which I bought off a Cafe Husky member who was leaving the brand).

There was another CH member- Caferacerman, that was leaving the brand and had about 5 new K&N oil filters. He sent them to me free and wouldn't let me pay the shipping (thanks Shawn). Months later he sent me a bunch of new gaskets.

The members here are great. rancher1, thanks for the years you've put in (member #18! not many left in front of you 'cept maybe robbertaccio #10)
    Caferacerman likes this.