Thumb throttles

Discussion in '610/630' started by RDTCU, Aug 27, 2014.

1. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    Who has them, and what do you use?

Before you ask, this is why:
    (anticipating it being a little stiff for a while after the cast comes off...)

[IMG]
    [IMG]

I've been looking at the Moose dual throttles and similar, with both a twist tube and a thumb lever.
    Theo likes this.
  2. bushwa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Hawk Gt
  3. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    Scaphoid, one of the three bones that makes up the "hinge" in your wrist. So twisting a throttle will probably be a bit awkward and uncomfortable for a while. I've got a quick-turn throttle tube, but I'll probably want a little something more, at least until I get my range of motion back.
    I will say that riding 75 miles home in the downhill twisties with a broken (I thought it was just a bad sprain) right wrist is not something I would care to repeat.
    I stopped at the waterfalls to stick my wrist in the ice cold water, which took the edge off.

[IMG]
    juicypips likes this.
  4. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gas Gas TxT 300, Yamaha wr250f
    Quads use thumb throttles i cant see an issue an though thumb option on whoops would be a bonus hill climbs etc. go for it
  5. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    We make dual throttles, both twist and thumb. You can find them on Terry 's website @ Terrycable.com
  6. joedirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr250
  7. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    Yes, i saw yours and Moose's dual throttle, and if i go with something new that's probably going to be the way I go... any recommendations on converting a dual cable FI throttle to single? Just ditch the return cable and use a stiffer return spring?
  8. bushwa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Hawk Gt
    Just ditch the push cable. Don't worry about the spring. You could likley get by with a lighter one, as the spring only has to overcome the friction in one cable now. The push cable is a safety thing, allows you to physically close the throttle in the event of cable or spring failure or othe damage to the throttle tube preventing the spring from closing it.
  9. bronzebronco94 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    06 TE610 09 SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Rokon2x2, KZ1000,
    yeah i got a busted scaphoid bone too. i guess the docs had a bunch of stuff goin on with the broken back and leg. they missed it for three months. i was saying man my wrist hurts when i twist the throttle! they said what?! twisting the throttle?! i said yeah im takin it easy on the TW200, trying to work back into the bigger bike again. i thought about a thumb throttle, but just didnt do it. every once and awhile it bugs me still. i opted out of surgery. i had enough metal in me i thought. sometimes i second guess that decision. did you get it screwed together? or what?
  10. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS

I knit up pretty quick, so it's in a cast for 6 weeks right now to see if it will heal on it's own. If not, I get the screw/splice...
    Go back for xrays this week after 3 weeks in the cast to see what it's doing.