1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Thread Insert spinning in fuel tank

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by gergte310, Dec 30, 2013.

1. gergte310 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 250 2st, TC 250 2st,TE 250R 4st
    Other Motorcycles:
    HONDA CRF 150R, CRF 110,Z50,APRILLIA
    Can anyone offer some assistance? tank shroud screws are seized in the insert in the fuel tank and will spin in the plastic if i try and remove them - how can i get the screws out without damaging the fuel tank ?
    thx
  2. RideLI631 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 FE501, 09 TE510
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hypermotard, Honda Shadow ,DR650
    I to have had this issue many times on multiple huskies. Best method I have found is to pull them out with a vice grip or pliers (doesn't really do any damage since they are just slid in there from the factory). Once you get them out loosen the bolt atached to the insert. Get some JB weld or a similar industrial adhesive. Clean the holes out in the tank out of any plastic shavings or dirt and whatnot. Then apply a liberal amount of JB weld into the holes. With the thread insert lightly attached to the bolt push the insert into the tank as far as it can go and remove the bolt. Let dry overnight and wallah! Problem solved for future tank bolt removal. Also doesn't hurt applying a little anti seize lube onto the threads when you re-install the bolts. Hope this helps its worked for me countless times
    ascribner and ptkatoomer like this.
  3. gergte310 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many thx i will give it a go thx for your help much appreciated.
  4. ARH Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '12 TE250, '74 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Oset 20.0
    You could try spinning the insert imbedded in the plastic tank first to heat it up, plastic becomes more supple, much easier to pull insert out.
  5. davek Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310
    Other Motorcycles:
    '09 KTM 250XC-W - '00 Kaw ZG1000
    Just tried the "pull em out" method on one side and man those things just don't want to come out! I think you're going to find the shroud is going to be buggered up pretty good by getting it out, as well as the bolt head. I had to use a big screwdriver to pry it out, a vice grip just didn't hold on enough to pull it out. I only had one bolt seized up on the left side, the one under the seat all the way back which is the easiest to get out, plus the seat will cover the scratches. The ones on the right side of the tank which I haven't done yet (all but one are seized) are going to be harder, especially the one on the side. Maybe use an power impact driver and spin it long enough to soften the tank so it pulls out easier?
    As I said this doesn't seem like it's going to be easy and I'm pretty sure the shrouds are going to get marked up.
    DK
  6. ARH Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '12 TE250, '74 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Oset 20.0
    I spun it with an electric drill, pretty fast, got it nice and warm, still it was not easy, but I am a 120 lb. lady so I'm sure if I could do it, it can't be that bad. The fix is not noticeable with the shrouds back on and really not bad looking when exposed. I was worried about doing some structural damage to the tank or melting a hole in it, but all went ok. It did get me wondering about how thick the plastic is there, anyone ever cut open a junk tank and see how it is made? I would like to see photos of a cross section or inside.
  7. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    well ill try it c if it works on kawi's
  8. davek Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310
    Other Motorcycles:
    '09 KTM 250XC-W - '00 Kaw ZG1000
    OK, I finished the job and found using a small crowbar, about 8" long works best and two people, each with a crowbar, 180 degree apart are required for the job. Once out I cleaned up the hole, filled it up with epoxy and pounded the insert back in. The ones on top are pretty easy, the one on the side of the tank is tougher because the tank flexes in there when you pound on it. I used a drill, hogged that one out a little to make it easier to fit in and then made sure the hole was filled with lots of epoxy, since less plastic was there to hold it in now. Letting everything dry over night before I put the shrouds back on, but found with using the crowbars instead of screwdrivers, the shrouds were less scratched up, but nothing the seat won't cover up.

IN THE FUTURE... I will always put anti seize on bolts like this, but I bought the bike used with this as an existing problem.
    DK
  9. Luddy_81 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2016 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    Suzuki LTR450 Quadracer
    I've just had this happen with the RHS seat bolt on my 2016 FE501 in my Seat Concepts Comfort seat :( Has anyone tried the above method on this bolt location?
  10. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    not me. but when you solve it, hit all the insert threads with a tiny bit of anti-sieze and you'll be good for the life of the bike. pretty much.

there are a few threads floating around here on this subject, btw.

good luck.
    268fords likes this.
  11. gergte310 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yep now that i have new bike i have put anti seize on all the bolts from new.
    Thx for the comments