1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Thinking about trading my DRZ400E for 2012 TE250

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by espacef1fan, Oct 29, 2016.

1. espacef1fan Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    06 Bonneville with dirt tires
    I am in a position to trade my DRZ400E for a 2012 TE250 with about 50 hours and 4000 miles Those numbers seem at slight odds with each other, but that's not a huge concern, I dont think anyways.

Ive read that the two main complaints with the Xlite motors is the frequent oil changes and the narrow gearbox.

However, after playing around on the gearing commander website it became apparent to me that with 13/45 gearing the TE250 has similar rpms in first and top gear as the DRZE I have with 14.47 gearing. I think maybe the gearing isnt as big of an issue in my case?

I love the power the "it runs over what you point it at" character of my DRZ.
    I dislike the weight and its suspension. I was considering spending another grand on suspension and calling it good. Then this deal came along.

Should I do the trade?
    How long will the Xlite motor last?
    Do they just need rings and slowly weaken or do they grenade?
    How will the bike perform with 13/45 gearing?
    How is the TE250's suspension? Is it setup for a 180lb rider without gear?
    How hard are parts to get for it?(scary stuff like engine internals,etc)
  2. espacef1fan Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    As its been almost two weeks without an answer I think I will pass on a Husky. Without community support I really dont like owning a motorcycle, especially one with some parts availability issues.
  3. Ron West Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 TE250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda NX250, & 2000 Africa Twin
    I have a 2007 TE 250 and I love it, so I can't comment on the Xlite motor. I've got a tad over 3K miles on mine with zero issues. When I adjusted the valves a while back two of them were just slightly out of spec.
    I regeared to 14/48 to make it a bit better on the road and faster desert sections, but I still try and keep it under 50 or 55 for any distance at all. Since changing the front sprocket is easy (just a retainer clip) I think that's the way to go. I went to a 15 front once but it lost too much on the low end.
    The gearbox is very narrow, but for everything but the street that's what makes it fun and you can always find a gear to keep the engine at the right RPM.
    I think one of the best things the bike has going for it is the weight. Almost like riding a Mountain bike.
  4. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    I have an 2014 310 xlite with 4400 miles and zero problems. But, like you, I'm a little incredulous of the time/mileage figures for the 250: that's an 80mph average.

I figure with my riding- a 20mph average (lower than most- I do an insanely high amount of 1st gear single track). I'm not burning any oil but I *think* I may have detected a slight drop in hp. maybe. The stock battery just gave up the ghost. I change my oil every 3-500 miles.

My 310 came with suspension set up for an SX pro... which considering I'm 225lbs wasn't too far off for me. It's got great components and can be softened up for your style. The brakes are the best I've ever had.

the 250 is a good bike and you'll like it off road; but it isn't even close to your DRZ on the highway. and I'm not sure what gearing commander is telling you (nice website) but if you gear it for the woods- the highway will suck ...and vice versa. Compromise gearing will probably suck at both, just not as bad: 13/45 is in this category, I'm thinking. You're right- the gearbox is insanely close-ratio'ed. BTW, considering how high the seat is, it's got a fairly cramped "cockpit".

Your DRZ should go 10-15K miles without a rebuild. I'm thinking the 250 might need one at 5-7K. I believe the xlites gracefully degrade like the bigblock generation before them, though not as long- but maybe a little more abrupt. This is just a feeling I get, I have nothing to base this opinion on.

If you're hitting the trails too hard for the DRZ or you wanna do the occasional race then maybe get the 250; otherwise I'm thinking you already own the better bike for you.
  5. rastechPL Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE310 '12
    I have been riding DRZ for 3 years and recently changed onto 2012 TE310. I am about the same weight. My perception not being pro rider:

- DRZ is a great allrounder for so called dual purpose riding, fast go "off pavement" and slower go off road - weight, good low end, softer, comfortable suspension setup, not good for frequently hitting the ground.

- TE is the one for going fast - likes revving high, for slow sections good clutch skills needed :). Good KYB suspension "starts" working great at speed that DRZ's one ends. (However it seams working stiff even on softest settings when going slower especially on tones and rocks - traction issues. The bike is quite new to me and I'm working on this. I am not sure about the fork oil used by last owner). For the right SAG the stock spring needs to be preloaded significantly for our weight. Gearing may seem narrow when expected to be used for "DRZ's style" riding because it is made for using full power band. If you do you will find the gearing right.
    In my opinion TE250/310 is not one for really a dual purpose even having street legal set on it. It is more sport like bike for going fast and so it behaves (weight, handling, power delivery - you go or you stall style :), brakes, clutch, suspension and also service intervals). I have put the street legal stuff into the box and bringing the bike to the tracks on the trailer.

I love my TE but I new what I would be using it for. If you are going to make more than 30 km/mth not racing, you likely have the right bike now. In my opinion it would be better to get a bike in similar range of about 450 but with a different suspension (WP?) than spending on redoing DRZ's one. Then on top you will get a way better handling, likely gearing and fun factor :).
  6. espacef1fan Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks for the replies. I assume you guys had to wait for "approval" too. This process REALLY hampers the forum I think.

I think rastech is probably right about getting a 450ish thing with a plate which is honestly what I REALLY want, but I have been tempted badly by this TE250 as it is a Husky I can own immediately. I've had a soft sport for Huskies since about 2005, when I discovered dirtbiking and dualsporting.
  7. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    In reality, there's only about 40-50 active members. There's 3 factions (Austrian-KTM, Italian-BMW, and Vintage maybe) with some- but not a lot of cross-over. And We only have 2 moderators; even the forum owner has been MIA for a year. Getting approved used to take a day or two- now it depends on how much you post (3 posts in a year won't get anybody's attention).

There is a slight shortcut: post a request in the office forum thread called "New Accounts Approval System"; if you're nice (and lucky) one of the two mods may notice and make you a full-fledged member. Maybe- they're awful busy with other stuff. BTW, there may not be any official notice; suddenly you'll have full functionality.

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/new-accounts-approval-system.17889/page-6

I'm a 6 year member who lost my account via some software glitch... and it took 2-3 months to get re-approved on a new account.
  8. espacef1fan Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks for the tip on the threads.
    I am REALLY hoping to own a Husky soon!
    Trenchcoat85 likes this.
  9. espacef1fan Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    I think emotion is going to win on this. If this guy is still interested in my DRZ I'm going to go for the TE250. I want a lighter bike in the woods and I have a Bonneville for gravel touring.
  10. NH-JP 2nd Fastest Old, Slow Guy!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2017 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    1988 Honda Hurricane,
    Just saw this.
    I owned a DRZe that was everything a DRZ could be.
    470 kit. Full yoshi. Full factory connection. The e has the better carb.
    Ridden mostly on New England trails, using roads for connecting trails.
    Since then went to a 2011 te310 with the injector and a jd tuner. Put 3k on that bike.
    Then went to a 2013 txc310 with a rekluse and REP suspension. Put 1600 miles on that.
    Now on a 2015 te250. Put 1300 mile on that.
    It really comes down to your riding style and terrain.
    The DRZ will do better as a dual sport. Maybe as a 50:50 bike.
    The huskies will be better in the woods. I actually liked the higher revving in the woods. The bike is in better shape to clear obstacles with the light front end.
    Also, the euro bikes seem put together just a bit better.
    The Italian huskies are a very fun platform and I think as close to feeling like a 2 stroke that a 4 stroke can feel.
    Certainly pros and cons to each.
    Good luck.
  11. espacef1fan Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    I find I only really ride the DRZ around when I want to feel "illegal" on the street or more so when Im bangin around the woods with my family or by myself.

I had an RM250 for a week. I traded it to get my son's dirtbike but I cant stop thinking about two strokes now.. It sounds like the TE250 might be pretty close to that, but without the mixing. It would also likely be better for the street.
  12. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    There's lots of good 2 stroke machines out there. Having a magic button on one is like nirvana I hear. I wish we could plate 2 strokes out here, but that's been verboten for decades now here in Cali. If I could I would plate a TE300 and have that one bike for everything. I don't ride my dirt bike on the street unless I'm heading for a local trail, that's what the Harley is for.
  13. NH-JP 2nd Fastest Old, Slow Guy!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2017 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    1988 Honda Hurricane,
    One of the benefits of New Hampshire. No issue in plating the 2 stroke so long as you have the title or cert of origin. So the 250 2stroke for me with the oversized tank works out well. Maybe a 300 kit next season, but really don't need it, just want it. Not enough altitude here to really warrant it.
  14. espacef1fan Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    I've actually been pondering that as an option too. I'm just not sure how I feel about mixing at the pump accurately and how long lived the beast would be with street use.

The mixing is probably my biggest concern though.
  15. NH-JP 2nd Fastest Old, Slow Guy!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2017 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    1988 Honda Hurricane,
    Not to start an oil thread. I have the 4.1 gallon tank which gets me 120 plus miles.
    I run amsoil saber at 80:1 so I carry a small 3.5 oz bottle that mixed up makes another 2 plus gallons.
    Really takes up no space in the pack.
    Turns out to not really be a big deal.
    I ride with a hydration pack anyway with my tools in it
    At that ratio if I mix too rich not a big deal.
  16. espacef1fan Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    I guess I'm overthinking the mixing at the pump now that I am thinking of it. As long as I have a small graduated bottle or a few small premeasured bottles I could easily calculate the oil I need. Hell there is probably an APP if I wanted to be completely lazy.
  17. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

No comparison for dirt riding. TE much better. DRZ is a tank.
    No comparison for road riding. DRZ much better. 55 vs 70 mph top speed.

DRZ bulletproof.
    TE needs to be maintained. Small oil capacity needs changing often, FI needs filter changes.

That's it.
  18. NH-JP 2nd Fastest Old, Slow Guy!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2017 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    1988 Honda Hurricane,
    The DRZ's that I had (an E and an S for a short time) both ended up having stator issues.
    Ended up having to once leave mine at the top of a canyon for the night while I ran out in my gear with the battery to recharge it overnight, then run back uphill in the morning to retrieve it. Another time I had to hand off my battery for someone to take away and bring back to me charged. Was in the middle of nowhere out in White Wash Sand Dunes and was unclear if I was going to spend the night out. Ended up building a shelter and directional fire pit so I could get through the night. Luckily at the end of the day I heard my guy coming back to keep me from a long night out.
    No Kick start made me a little sad.
    The older TE and TXC had small oil capacity, and yes was less than ideal on the road but man it was so much better on a trail.
    The new TE has about the same oil capacity .8L, but that is only for transmission and clutch. Yeah I have to mix gas now, and while I thought the Italians were light, even though the 2 stroke is not that much lighter on paper, it certainly feels it all day long.
    On stock gearing it will get to 80mph, at around 50 I am just coming onto the start of the pipe so not bad on gas if you can keep out of it for the road burns. I could turn down the power valve, or change the gearing, but I try to keep my road burns to a minimum (usually no more than a few miles at a time), so not an issue for me.