Thermostat Delete

Discussion in 'TR650' started by Baddrapp, Apr 22, 2015.

1. engineerk9 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki ZRX1100
    True the TR thermostat does not operate in the same was as 90% of other installations, that's why I think it's a good design, even if the Thermostat it's self might not be reliable
    mag00 and PaulC like this.
  2. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    You guys need to take one apart and look again. When the thermostat is closed, the only coolant that can flow by is passing by the poor seal around the thermostat frame body. Coolant never flows through the thermostat when open, it flows around it's top plunger. There's no bypass, it's either leaking coolant past the thermostat body or when the top seal is opened.

[IMG]
  3. Mark_H Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR 650 Strada; 2015 Nuda 900R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda XRM 125, Kawasaki Curve 115
    Exactly like he said !
  4. Highfive Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Husaberg FE390, BMW F800GS
    So.....just to be certain.....Tinken, do you have any of these whizmos left to sell? Or, is it a dead-end now?

Put me on the list if you have one. It's an interesting piece.

HF
  5. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    I no longer work for ZipTyRacing, but as far as I know, ZipTy still has a few of them.
  6. engineerk9 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki ZRX1100
    I have the dimensions for the simplified version, any machine shop with a metal working lathe could machine one up out of 50mm aluminium bar stock in only a few minutes
    mag00 and PaulC like this.
  7. Highfive Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sweet.....appreciate it, engineerk9. I've got people that could do that. Can you email it to me?

HF
  8. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    You can also make it out of Delrin. Delrin machines very fast and will never corrode.
    mag00 and engineerk9 like this.
  9. Mark_H Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ok so I finally got my Thermostat out of the casing, I had tried before and found it near on impossible, but this time I persevered.

Following on from the 'Real Radiator Fix' thread where it would appear there is a possibility of Thermostat failure causing overheating and potential for damage to the radiator, I was keen to do away with the nasty little fitting all together. Here in Philippines I really see no need for a Thermostat and anyway I always allow my bike to warm up to normal temperature before I ride it.

Removal of the actual was very much more difficult that had previously been described, the unit did not just tap out of the casing. I had to remove the radiator completely and go to work with a fair sized hammer.

The results were not really as planned, but as this was a 'do or die' job I only needed the bottom part of the cage assembly. mini-IMG_2732.JPG

So....with the bottom part of the cage assembly intact (that was about the only part actually)

I set about building my own Thermostat Delete using these parts.....

mini-IMG_2733.JPG

The spring is actually the one from the original Thermostat, it is not really necessary to have but it adds some stability to the set up.

The only modification is to drill the upper part of the cage assembly to accept the small self tapping screws which hold the washer in place.
    When drilling this make sure you do it at the point where there is a 'leg' or support so that there is plenty of material for it to work on.

mini-IMG_2735.JPG

Next I assembled my parts, the nut and bolt goes through the washer and sits in the spring which sits in the base of the cage.
    I did cheat and put a coin in the bottom to spread the load and make sure there is no way for the spring to rub on the plastic base part.

The four screws hold the washer down against the spring and they also act to hold the bolt head in place so nothing can come loose.

mini-IMG_2738.JPG

The washer is not a perfect fit in the recess, there is about 0.5 - 1.0 mm gap all round to allow a very slight by-pass, but not much.
    (The Spring set up is not really necessary but it adds stability to the washer and stops the whole lot rattling around)

When the unit is fitted back into the radiator the four small screws are held in place against the outer casing and so nothing can come loose and cause any problems.

Results are excellent, my thermostat worries are gone and I shall be doing exactly the same to my Nuda 900R as soon as I possibly can.
  10. engineerk9 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki ZRX1100

Attached Files:

mag00 likes this.
  11. Highfive Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kind thanks!

HF
  12. M1A2TechPI Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    1998 KLR 650, 03 SV 1000N
    Hi Mark, Excellent Field Engineering resulting in a Work Around and a somewhat cheaper. Regards, Chris
  13. teamkitty Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    '75 Suzuki GT185, '67 Ducati Sebring
    Hi Tinken, I finally got around to installing the thermostat delete last night. Everything came apart and went together without a hitch (thanks to Thor's hammer), but I'm wondering if I might have pushed it in too far? It's nice and snug, but when looking into the top hole, it sticks up about an 1/8 of an inch from flush. Does that even matter? (sorry for the crappy pics. )
    IMG_3615.jpg IMG_3620.jpg
    Tinken likes this.
  14. Highfive Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Well, good news.....I went ahead and placed an order for the Thermo-Delete in ZipTy's website last weekend. Never received a confirmation email from them. Bu the part arrived today at Rancho HighFive, just 3 business days later. Cost was $49.95 plus $9 shipping. Very nice looking piece, I must say. So, they obviously still have stock on this item.

I'm not really having any radiator or temp issues. Just thought it would be a good idea to have something like this on hand, in the event problem arises. Undecided yet, if I will proceed with install at this time. Kind of the 'ol "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" rule.

My compliments to Tinken on a nicely designed part. Aaahh heck.....I'll probably end up installing it this winter, just to have a "project" when I get bored.

HF
    Tinken likes this.
  15. engineerk9 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki ZRX1100
    Mark_H why didn't you just epoxy/glue a small disc on top of the cage? Somewhat simpler
  16. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada
    As long as the C-clip goes into the bottom grove of the T-delete unit, all's well.
    engineerk9 likes this.
  17. teamkitty Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    '75 Suzuki GT185, '67 Ducati Sebring
    Thanks Glitch! The c-clip is in. We're good!
    engineerk9 likes this.
  18. Mark_H Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:

Epoxy glue and hot water is not the way to go when you cannot see if the glue is remaining intact. My design cannot disintegrate and is quite simple.
  19. Caiman Senior Vice Procrastinator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SWM SM500R
    After much annoyance and unnecessary kerfuffle I managed to order a Thermo delete for my Nuda. Can't wait to see Michaels expert design works :)
    Tinken likes this.
  20. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    You are missing something on your drawing. At first I thought the little tab positioned the spacer for flow, but it really doesn't matter which way it is turned. Pretty sure BMW designed it to keep it from moving under expansion and contraction. Might want to think about putting that in there.