1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

The story of my air cooled 2010 TE510

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Rot Box, May 5, 2017.

1. Rot Box Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 Husqvarna TE510
    Other Motorcycles:
    1994 ATK 605 DSES
    Hi everyone, sorry in advance for the novel. Haven't been to the Cafe much since I reluctantly sold my 02 TE570 a few years back. I picked up this 2010 TE510 a few days ago. Pretty excited, odo reads 1100 miles and it has a lot of nice upgrades/add-ons--great looking bike and well cared for.

PO said it ran pretty hot. I'm familiar with the areas he used to ride so I figured high altitude + Rekluse clutch + technical single track = hot bike. It has aftermarket radiators, Evan's coolant, silicone hoses and a 1.8 cap...

I took it for a ~15 mile ride up the canyon on street and dirt. Yep... runs hotter than crap and kinda nice having the overflow blow hot coolant all over my leg. Once home I read a few threads here that helped me out. Popped the water pump cover off to find the impeller had slid off of the spindle and the retaining nut is mia. The flat spot on the impeller is completely wollered (technical term) out!

Anyway in case you are wondering these engines can run an extraordinary amount of time in harsh conditions with no coolant flow! I'm betting the cooling upgrades were added long after the impeller let loose..

The electric start doesn't work. I tested the button and it's good. All the fuses are good... Anything else obvious I should look for? I'm betting it's something simple.. Still getting familiar with the bike I need a wiring schematic before I can do much else I think.

Thank you.

PS. Right side kicker on a Husky is just wrong on so many levels :naughty:

[IMG]
    starrblade and Trenchcoat85 like this.
  2. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Nice job on the research and finding the problem, to bad the PO didn't bother.
    Rot Box likes this.
  3. Rot Box Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 Husqvarna TE510
    Other Motorcycles:
    1994 ATK 605 DSES
    Figured out the e-start issue. Clutch switch doesn't work with a left hand brake haha. Speaking of which... that auto clutch/left brake thing is going to take awhile to get used to!
  4. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    very clean bike.

the 2010 did not have an overflow tank on the radiator? hunh. ...also, you might wanna spend a little time looking for that impeller nut. I'm thinking the thermostat.

enjoy it.
  5. 268fords Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08' TE510'
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CRF 100, Kawasaki KLX 110
    There's an overflow tank below the shock. The cap is pointed right at your right boot.
    OlderHuskyRider likes this.
  6. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    Tie off the the two wires from the clutch. That will then not require to pull the clutch in to start and should solve your starting issues.
    Go for an aftermarket higher flow impeller.
    I have never had an over heat in OZ during summer on my 510, 310;s 450;s or 449 by using a hiher rating radiator cap and a quality coolant such as ICE or Evans.
  7. ptkatoomer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2020 ktm 300 xc-w, 2020 ktm 500exc
    Nice looking scoot. What's the rear tire- some kind of trials hybrid?
  8. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    Looks like a MT-43 or a Mountain Hybrid
  9. Rot Box Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 Husqvarna TE510
    Other Motorcycles:
    1994 ATK 605 DSES
    Thanks everyone. I was able to make my impeller work temporarily---long story short it works now but I will be ordering a new pump on Monday for peace of mind.

Turns out the suspension was re-vavled and re-sprung by Race Tech. Unbelievable how well it rides!

Rear tire is a Motoz Mountain Hybrid. So far with what little riding I've done I am very impressed. It seems to grip like glue in the rocky/loose terrain around here. Can't wait to get some more miles on it.

I have a feeling I'm going to really love this bike. Plan to pull it down and check the valve lash soon, grease the linkage and go over it with a fine tooth comb. Good times.

Hope to get some better pics soon.
    Trenchcoat85 likes this.
  10. Rot Box Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 Husqvarna TE510
    Other Motorcycles:
    1994 ATK 605 DSES
    First real ride.. Fire roads, two track and single track. I'm in love oh wow I really-really like this bike. The power delivery/curve is outstanding it reminds me a bit of my ol' 610 in some ways.

My water pump repair held up fine but I'm not chancing it again. I removed it tonight and guess what I did?? Yeah pulled the backing plate which in turn pulled the impeller shaft out and dropped the timing gear---rookie mistake haha :rolleyes:

I think I have the timing re-set properly. At TDC the two dots are aligned perfectly with the notch on the head. The dots on the cams are opposing each other and are flush with the surface of the head. Does this sound good? I really don't want to pull the cam caps off if I don't have to... what do you think?

One more thing. Every valve but one is well within spec. Right hand exhaust is pretty tight @ .004" Is there a shim chart somewhere? I looked in the repair manual and I can't figure out how to get the correct shim.

Thanks everyone. Really looking forward to putting some miles on this one.
  11. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

That is great machine for open spaces.

Gutsy motor and great handling.

You might say it was the best evolution of the Cagiva Husky

Enjoy!
    Rot Box likes this.
  12. Rot Box Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 Husqvarna TE510
    Other Motorcycles:
    1994 ATK 605 DSES
    Ugh.... better safe than sorry. If I'm going to take the bike to far off places I need to know the condition of the top end given the impeller issue and a retaining nut (that I still haven't found!)

All seals and o-rings were hard as a rock (which doesn't surprise me) Head gasket not in great shape between the combustion chamber and coolant passage which might explain it pushing coolant out the overflow. And the intake manifold busted off when I breathed on it.

Everything else appears to be in really nice shape. Neat bike kinda fun to work on :thinking:

[IMG]

[IMG]
    Trenchcoat85 and 454x like this.
  13. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    Looks like you're down to the bottom end. How does the jug and piston look? Call Halls or Bills to get your shims for the valve lash.
    Rot Box likes this.
  14. Rot Box Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 Husqvarna TE510
    Other Motorcycles:
    1994 ATK 605 DSES
    The piston and cylinder look good. Surprising amount of carbon buildup on top of the piston.... other than that it looks fine enough to reuse it.

I ordered everything I need to re-assemble the top end including the high flow water pump. Hope that does the trick!!!
  15. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Well you are not mucking about and thats for sure. Good luck with the resto.
    Rot Box likes this.
  16. Rot Box Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 Husqvarna TE510
    Other Motorcycles:
    1994 ATK 605 DSES
    Engine is back together and running. Waiting on a valve cover gasket as mine is leaking pretty bad. Once the new one is here I'll be able to test out the cooling.

Hope she's good to go now :excuseme: better be haha
  17. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks for the update.
    Rot Box likes this.
  18. Rot Box Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 Husqvarna TE510
    Other Motorcycles:
    1994 ATK 605 DSES
    Ugh.. starts fine and idles well. Nasty bog when you hit the throttle when cold and hot. After that it pulls great the rest of the way through the rpm's.

I can't seem to get it sorted. I've checked and rechecked the timing several times now... plug, wiring etc all look great
  19. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    TPS might need a look see. Also a remap might sort out the bogging
    Rot Box likes this.
  20. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Yup!

You will need I-Beat to fix this

Check TPS 1st. Set to 100.3 or so, check the EFI section on this site for the exact setting for the 2009 TE510.

Then raise (richen) or lower(lean) the COs and see if it effects the bog. (note might be FBs for this year bike.) Again Check the EFI section for info. The older bikes have a different set up than the newer ones.

The Mikuni EFI Huskys run great but they MUST be properly set up on I-Beat.

Below is a link that might work for you.

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/ibeat-semco-efi-info.6079/page-4

I guess your bike has CO's and not FB's....that is good.
    Rot Box likes this.