The Perfect 610/630 Sidestand Fix!?

Discussion in '610/630' started by BiG DoM, Feb 9, 2012.

1. BiG DoM Husqvarna
    AA Class

IMG_0728.JPG IMG_0729.JPG IMG_0730.JPG

Ok so we all know about the kickstand issues... well I saw a pic of a TE310 stand off a bike being parted out - very similar to thye 630 sidestand but definately longer. Worth a $20 gamble I thought.
    Well here it is and a beauty compared to the Italian cheese mild steel affair on my 610 that has already been welded and tweaked but still wonky. This stand is strong annodised tempered cast alu, seems the perfect length, perfect offset angle and slots right in - I added a thin fibre washer to reduce the inevitable slight slop on most stands. Will post pics of it fitted up later ... here are the teasers. The solution may have been on our doorstep all the time. (This is not to say that the bespoke ones that are being made here and on AdvRider do not have a place but for ease of a possible plug and play fix I think this is it!)
  2. johngil Husqvarna
    A Class

I have one from a 449/511. Needed to be shortened about 1 3/8".
  3. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    I've got a 630- not the 610. Can you tell me the precise end to end measurement of the 310 stand? Thanks!
  4. johngil Husqvarna
    A Class

The 310/449/511 stand is 2.375" longer than the TE 630 stand. Too long unless you want your bike totally vertical.
  5. BiG DoM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Ok the stand works very nicely but needs minor tweaking. I adjusted the hinge stop by filing it back about 5-8mm with an angle grinder - this allows the stand to angle further forward creating a much improved and more stable 'tripod' and also improves the lean angle by ''shortening' the upright length. I have also adjusted the angle of the foot so that it sits horizontal to the ground (seems like a common fault with these stands). It would not be difficult to shorten this stand to exactly the length one wants through having the foot rewelded - gives one a great OEM look sidestand IMHO.

PS Remember that your static sag suspension settings affect the height of your bike and therefore kickstand angles and required length too...
  6. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Very helpful, thanks. I didn't realize the 310 stand was the same as for the 449/511. For a second there I thought this was going to be a bolt on/no-mod type of thing. :)
  7. Xpat Husqvarna
    AA Class

I had big problems with the sidestand when I bought the bike and used it for trips - with luggage it was almost comically difficult to park the bike without it falling over or looking that sidestand is going to break - it was very finicky and unstable. I asked serviceman in the dealer (Primrose, Johannesburg) for an alternative. However he said he is going to try to set-up the standard one and somehow by putting/adjusting screws around the sidestand (sorry, no clue which, except that he did not put any new screws in - may have replaced some) he fixed it and now it works with no problem. Maybe give it a try (I'm useless mechanically) and see if that cannot fix the problem without forking out for a new one.
  8. Xpat Husqvarna
    AA Class

Whoops - sorry read this only after I posted my reply. I think I can safely assume that the modification Big DOM did is the one that was done on my bike. Works perfect after the mod.
  9. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Maybe I'm looking at taking the low road here, but am looking for the easiest and most cost effective solution. I am thinking of taking a block of hard plastic or teflon and then cutting that in the exact same shape/size of the foot and then bolting it on under the foot (counter-sunk from the bottom, so the bottom of the foot stays flat, w/ a small pin in it so it wouldn't rotate.) May try this come spring...hopefully before.
  10. BiG DoM Husqvarna
    AA Class

I did this with my old 610 stand - in fact drilled and tapped holes into the steel foot and bolted with SS screws countersunk from below. I also made the foot a 'big foot'. Still not the perfect answer.
  11. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Thanks Dom- good to hear it's been done w/ some success before. I know it's not the perfect answer, but it seems to me that it should fully suffice w/ the minimum of fuss/cost.
  12. Busted RS Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630, WR300 '09
    Other Motorcycles:
    DT360A's
    I did this about 12 months ago using round nylon approximately 30mm thick. One counter-bored bolt fitted in the centre from underneath with a Nyloc nut on top of the original aluminium stand foot. A second screw also counter-bored from underneath to stop rotation.The round foot is 50mm diameter.
    I can report this setup has worked perfectly for me. It is light, simple to install, easily replaceable if need be, and stands my bike at the correct angle to be stable on hard or soft surfaces.

Could provide pics but not at home right now.

Power on regardless :D
  13. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Even better to hear- someone doing this simple fix in a well done way and satisfied. Thanks- I'll certainly be going this route!
  14. BiG DoM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Here is a pic of my old repaired stand (welded at the hinge) and then a polyprop bigfoot fitted - an OK get-by fix but still too short and clunky...a 30mm piece would just be too much IMHO and look like a tart in platform shoes ... this is an Italian bike after all ... needs stilleto's... so see my perfect fix below.

IMG_0734.JPG
  15. BiG DoM Husqvarna
    AA Class

IMG_0737.JPG

Ok my PERFECT FIX is complete. Took the TE310/449/511 stand and shortened it by about 15-20mm (first pic of adjusted stand) and adjusted the angle of the foot to be correct with ground. Also ground the hinge stop back a bit to allow for a better tripod stance with the stand kicking further forward. TIG welding worked great on this alu stand which is chalk and cheese compared to the OEM steel one - is lighter, stronger, and has stronger springs. Think this is the definitive answer on the 610 and 630 as well and really is a pretty quick fix.

View attachment 14438 IMG_0748.JPG IMG_0743.JPG
  16. johngil Husqvarna
    A Class

Shortened up my 310/449/511 stand today. Welded fine w/ my MIG and using a spool gun.

[IMG]
  17. BiG DoM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Looks exactly like my job ;) Are you also using it on a 610/630?
    Pic below of the filing/grinding I did to the mounting tab to improve the forward reach and stance of the stand (gave it a quick coat of Hammerite).

Attached Files: