Terra Or Strada Dash Needed

Discussion in 'TR650' started by russell culley, Apr 21, 2020.

1. russell culley Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Can Am Spyder F3
    hi all
    i have a terra with a dead dash(dosent power up)
    the repairer is awaiting parts from China to repair it (still waiting)
    as a back up...does anyone have or know of a second hand dash available as my fixer says he can clone it...can be damaged,as long as it powers up
    maybe a link to a wrecker(worldwide)
    also(perhaps) is there a crossover dash from bmw to make use of the internals?

thanks russ
  2. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada
    Your one and only local bet and it will not suit a Strada without re-flashing the ECU in Europe (to enable ABS function/ adjust for different wheel sizes etc)
    https://ishr.site/nXBM

If your "fixer" can "clone" a TR dash I'm sure there is a dozen or so owners around the globe who would LOVE to talk to him/her before the week is out!!
  3. russell culley Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Can Am Spyder F3
    thanks for the link man
    i bought it
    ill fit to my bike and when the fixer mends my dash,i will either swap back or onsell either
    the problem is mine has been mossed? and now runs really well(dont know as i bought bike with dead dash)
    seller said not to go with recall as bike now runs really well
    it also has a bosch injector
    if the new electrics are not accept ,i will try to get the bike recalled will see how it goes
    thanks again
    russ
  4. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    There is considerable misinformation re the Dash & BMS-E on the TR650 as well as the BMW Diagnostics/Programming System

First the term MOSS refers to Motorrad Online Service System which is the name for the old BMW bike Dealer Diagnostics and Programming system, the bike dealers were upgraded to the ISTA system used by the BMW car dealers around the time of the release of the TR650

The dash on the TR650 has the connections & interface circuits for the key system but only holds EWS temporary data, the BMS-E is the master for EWS, the dash does have master info on the ODO with BMS-E holding back up data.

To be able to have 2 dash assemblies with the same EWS info ISTA-P is used to program the 2nd dash as a "replacement" of the first dash, if the original dash is still operational ISTA-P gets the current data from the dash then prompts for connection of the 2nd dash, checks the firmware revision level, updates the firmware if needed (only one firmware release for the TR650) & then loads the ODO & EWS data to the replacement dash, if the original dash is not operational then back up data from the BMS-E is loaded into the replacement

Once programmed when swapping from one dash to the other there will be an error thrown up if ODO values differ from the value in the BMS-E & there is a routine in ISTA-P to sync the dash & BMS-E ODO values

Russell, the Key/Dash/BMS-E set you purchased was good value assuming a key comes with it but should be kept as a set, the BMS-E has the data for a different VIN & EWS key data, the VIN cant be changed, the dash can be swapped over with ISTA-P & then changed again to swap back to the BMS-E you are purchasing

There is an ability to program up to 4 keys into the BMS-E so you should be able to add the key from the ECU set you are purchasing into your existing BMS-E and also add your current key into the replacement BMS-E

The above means locating a tech with the BMW ISTA system set up to do the work & there will be more than a little time taken to achieve the optimal result
  5. russell culley Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Can Am Spyder F3
    thanks Wayne
    i was hoping to get a second dash to donor parts to my dead dash eg from terra,strada,bmw
    now that i have the replacement ensemble tho,i can wait for parts from china to repair my dash,and if not then it wont matter,i will still have a functioning bike

i found out that new ecu has not had the recall,so if the fuelling problems are evident,then i will get the ecu to ktm

i rang Dahlitz to find out what they did to the oem ecu,when the PO took it to them,and they said it was prob the recall,albeit thru MOSS so i should get the same result thru ktm,once recalled

ktm sends the ecu to MM in italy,and i am not sure if they (MM)are back to full(or part)production as yet

once i get a functioning bike,i will prob sell the second ensemble

i cant get to the bike until the borders are relaxed,as i am in Tas and bike is in Newcastle,prob another 5 weeks

russ
  6. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    Trying to donor parts from one dash to the other is crazy, & no the recall was never through that horrible term MOSS, there were BMW firmware updates through the BMW ISTA system & if Dahlitz updated the BMS-E to the last BMW version that is all you need not the dodgy MM update

As for parts from China, what parts & who is attempting the repair on the dash ?

As to the bike being in Newcastle is there any chance the people there can do a GS911 autoscan on it ?, that will tell what firmware version is in the BMS-E plus it may tell us whether the dash is actually still communicating via CAN BUS & is merely not providing display
    nev.. and glitch_oz like this.
  7. russell culley Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Can Am Spyder F3
    the bike is at my nephews house in nelson bay
    the dash is at fixers in wentworthville
    part required to power up dash coming from china..the only place in the world who has the part(dont shoot the messenger)

the start button dosent work which suggests no dash power as start button is canbus?
    ECU meistro will be my next stop if wenty cant fix the dash...i may need 1 key from them for my "new"ensemble anyway
    when(if)i get my dash fixed,then i will keep the orig ensemble and onsell the new parts,as performance is good(so im told)and VIN is correct

maybe bmw not letting us update to the latest bmw version...ive got no idea...just going on what ive learned here
    i dont have a whole lot of choices

russ
  8. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    I find it hard to believe the IC is only available out of China, the dash is made in Spain or Portugal (cant recall which off hand), same Mfr as BMW Dash assemblies, ST Microelectronics is the major supplier of auto industry IC's along with Infineon, what is the IC No needed ?
    The reason for no start is the BMS-E will not activate the Injector & other items as it has not completed the EWS routines to confirm key etc
  9. russell culley Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Can Am Spyder F3
    what is the IC No needed ?

sorry....no idea
    but when/if i get a result i will def post it up
    nothing worse than following a post,and the OP gets a fix and dosent share his findings

the new ensemble arrived today and sure enough,only one key
    ECU meistro claims they can make a key,so if i go with this new set,ill get 2nd key made

have booked the Ferry to melb and just waiting for border restrictions to soften so i can go and get the bike

russ