1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Ten Fins Version of the intake blade - Ten Fins Wings of Fury

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by hawaii-rider, Apr 22, 2009.

1. hawaii-rider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2018 TC250, 2015 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    04 CRF-270x, 95 CR500, 93 CR250 etc
    Ten Fins has her wings!

Well.....I was messing with jetting on my Miss Ten Fins and her 40mm carb.

In search of cleaning response up a bunch and searching for a bit more punch off the bottom and transition into mid without replacing the 40 for a 38mm as I have read was the hot ticket.
    so.......HR begins thinking...(dangerous mind you)

I have had incredible success and results out of intake blades.
    I have fab'd a whole bunch of my own and purchased them as well.
    so.....what did I have to loose, about a tiny tiny piece of $5.00 of .025" sheet aluminum and some time.

so I sketched and mic'd out a full up intake bell unit and after working through how to stabilize it in the carb I went to the two blade cross design.
    I had a contour guage so I copied everything over for both vert and horizontal and went to work.

fit perfect, extra tabs to secure it to the bell.

Jetting, I went back to stock settings, pure stock.
    there was a 310 main in ol Ten Fins, I went to a 340
    Stock needle at the 3rd clip
    Stock needle jet
    Pilot WAS at a 40, bumped it up to a 45.

Had a race last weekend....

OMG what a transformation in power!
    :cheers:
    she is just as smooth from bottom to top but has wonderful punch and snap off the bottom now where before she was super soft until you got things rolling.
    I could now run her 2 gears up and just almost lug it.

I holeshot the 2nd moto, and one of the guys I was racing with said that after the first turn I simply checked out.

Bike ran simply incredibly well and for me, a huge improvement in power, snap, throttle response from mid to very very low.
    Cost, oh if I figure how much of the sheet of alum I used (not counting my therapy time in the garage) about $.24

here are some shots.

Pieces before fitting

the "ring" piece keeps the blades from moving.
    only thing I had not done to the two blades was 1/2 notch at center to side them together

[IMG]

Here is the mounting ring
    there are three tabs that you can see here, those are what I used to secure the Ten Fins Wings of Fury to the carb, they simply roll over. No glue or anything holding the intake blades to the carb, tight fit + the tabs

[IMG]

Here are two shots of everything together

[IMG]

[IMG]

It isnt sell it pretty, but its solid, and most importantly it works!!!
    :thumbsup:
    Hand tools only, dont have anything fancy.

HR
    :cool:
    :usa:
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Scott looks good and nice effort.

Some observations. For these to work really well it needs to seal to the carb bell pretty well (semi tight fit) and more importantly butt right up against the carb slide. Your tapered end is rounded and would work a lot better if it was squared off and straight. The more leakage around the bell and next to the slide the less effect it will have. Your trying to fool the carb into thinking the carb throat is half the volume under half throttle openings and cause more velocity. The more can leak around the fins the less it will have this effect. I don't believe the vertical fins do anything. Your not really looking to straighten airflow as it just dumps into the crankcase and tumbles around before being pushed through ports anyway.
  3. Leftcoast leftkicker Husqvarna
    AA Class

Scott- really cool but have to somewhat disagree with Motosportz's observations, look at what Boyeson's done with his PowerWing and X-Wing (both reinforce a tight fit being critical: http://www.boyesen.com/cwo/Online_Store

I considered contacting them to have one done for my 38mm Mikuni, now I'm really jazzed!
  4. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Do you mean agree? My point was a tight fit. Also I personally believe the vertical wing is to get around the Power now patent and support the horizontal wing more than it is to do anything performance wise.
  5. Leftcoast leftkicker Husqvarna
    AA Class

Tight fit is best but was unaware of the patent issue with Power Now.
  6. hawaii-rider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2018 TC250, 2015 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    04 CRF-270x, 95 CR500, 93 CR250 etc
    thanx for the feedback...
    I dont have a machine shop
    I dont have MIG/TIG
    Dont have a mill
    dont have a lathe
    dont have a CNC
    If you saw the clearances I have now between the slide and the end of the blades, well, I dont want the slide stuck open but I am very close now.
    the sides are formed with a contour guage, traced then hand cut, then worked down by hand with jewlers files, piece by piece.

I used a four blade design and the outer ring due to no mig/tig so i ONLY have the vertical blade to secure the horizontal and insure that there is NO movement of the horizontal blade and there is NONE, its in there tight.

1980s era air cooled big bore motor.
    I may go back and redo it and add the couple hundred thousands to the end of the blade to make it a bit more square but without the ability to measure flow/before and after vs. the massive improvements I felt with what I have, not sure some one of my skill set, and importantly an almost 30 year old two smoke, I could feel any signficant difference in the few hundred thousands of an inch of material to the left and right, but we will see how I like this one and if I want to play in the shop again.
    it was fun to build...and even more fun the first time I took ol Ten Fins for a spin.

That said......love the input and advice....
    How did you build your intake blades for your Huskies, I am open for ideas and suggestions? What kind of gains did you feel/notice with your EVO/vintage motors?

I may be old but I aint afraid to learn....

HR
    :cool:
    :usa: