TE630, teeth off 3rd Gear

Discussion in '610/630' started by MOTOXNUT, May 1, 2013.

1. MOTOXNUT Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TXC510 & 2012 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Suzuki DR650
    Well this one could be the straw that breaks the camels back.
    Last Year i brought a brand new TE630 from my local dealer, with supposedly a 2 year warranty

It is now 13 months old and has done 5800 kms.
    A few weeks ago now i had organized a local ride here in NZ around some back country gravel roads with 12 other riders.
    About 10 kms into the ride the gearbox made a load bang and then started clunking. I could feel it coming through the driveline and originally thought that i had a stone caught in the chain. Stopped and checked the chain out, no faults there. Maybe its a sproket bolt come loose and hitting the swingarm.

No they are all tight, started the bike and pulled away again and as soon as i got into 3rd gear the banging and clunking was back with a vengance.

So bike was trailered home and dropped off at the dealer the following monday morning.

9 days later and the dealer had not looked at it yet, he blamed Husqvarna saying that they had only just given the okay to pull it apart.

Anyway another 2 weeks down the track the bike is still in pieces with 3 teeth missing off 3rd gear.

Husqvarna is trying to get out of the warranty by saying that because the Lambada sensor had been bypassed ( done by the dealer before i even took delivery of the bike ) and because i had fitted an FMF exhaust that the bike is no longer standard.

I am a mechanic by trade and dont treat my gear hard,oil changes have been done every 3000 kms with quality motul synthetic gear oil.

Now the fight for warranty will begin.

No matter what the outcome, after all the other issues i have had with this bike i am seriously considering a trade on a KTM690.

Pretty much lost faith in the bike and brand now.:thumbsdown:
    Shame really as i have had such a great run out of my TXC510.
  2. bax3 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE250R
    Other Motorcycles:
    wr300 2010
    As Far as I know all bikes here in Australia are derestricted before delivery and im sure the husky aust knows this. (NZ may be diff)
    I know mine have (wr300 & te250r they don't even ask). So I here I would argue that fact. ( doesn't mean it would get me anywhere)
    As for the pipe my dealer would have said put the standard one back on before dropping off at shop. Cause if he wants your business back he should do anything he can for you.
    I only had one warranty claim on the wr for a rubber intake boot and some reeds (after 11 mths), I contacted them direct and they sent then in the mail.
    Obviously your gear failure is a lot worse sorry.
    If it was me I would be putting pressure on dealer.
  3. pinocono Husqvarna
    AA Class

Here in the US, we have the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. Warranty claims cannot be denied for modifications unless the manufacturer can show that those modifications caused the failure.

Is there something similar in NZ?
    JonXX likes this.
  4. MOTOXNUT Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TXC510 & 2012 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Suzuki DR650
    Havent heard of that act over here, so probably not.
    The reasoning behind it sounds pretty logical to me though and that is the approach i will be taking with them.
    The pipe has only been on the bike for 450 kms, so my question to them is ...... are you gearboxes soo weak that they will fail after this amount of time.

Half the reason for fitting the pipe was to lose weight and have somewhere to mount the tool tube.
  5. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    SuperTenere-GL1800-CBR900RR-KLX250S
    I'd think most developed countries have similar consumer protection laws protecting from unreasonable warranty denials. Track down the regional Husky rep, sometimes it's easier for them to tell the dealer "no" than you the customer.

6. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I'd be interested in some photos and it is extremely puzzling how three teeth would shear off?? I think there is more to this story. What caused the teeth to break off? Was there something floating around in the gear box that caused the issue?
  7. MOTOXNUT Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TXC510 & 2012 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Suzuki DR650
    Just heard back from the Husky dealer yesterday. They have finally accepted the claim. Only have to wait another 2 weeks for the parts to come from italy now.
    DYNOBOB likes this.
  8. WickedWill Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    some little red ones
    Good to hear husky will fix it.
    Over here in Aus we get the same 2 weeks from italy deal but sometimes they come in a week.
  9. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Did they determine what caused the problem?
  10. CJBROWN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    '15 R1200GS
    This sounds highly suspect. It doesn't take 4-6 weeks to get a factory warranty authorization. My guess is your dealer is jerking your chain.

I'm glad that for the most part dealers just can't exist like that in these parts - they would just go out of business. Word gets around, and you either have a good reputation or a crappy one and if you don't fix it you just lose more and more business. We had a local KTM shop like that - great work but over priced and the owner had a shitty attitude. His top people, the ones with the factory certifications, jumped ship and started their own company. They were the ones carrying the dealership, so who can blame them.
  11. bac9i4mo Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    630 SM
    I saw this thread a couple of days ago and couldn't believe this happening on a new bike.
    And now i'm back here cause i just lost my 3rd gear on a 630 SMS. I hade the same reaction - checked the chain first, but then realized that trashy sound comes on 3rd only. I took the risk and rode home on a bike using other gears.
    I seem to feel fine about the engine removal and opening, but i am really scared of the fact that BMW doesn't give any support for Husqvarna anymore. I already received a decline from them when been looking for a rear sprocket, how would i be able to find gearbox parts then?
    damn o_O
    I love my Husky anyway. Its the best ever bike i've ridden.

If someone wondering what caused that fault, i have a guess.
    First - i do wheelies a lot. Really, i ride in a city only and i do a wheelie on every occasion. I don't know how an oilpump is picking oil from the pan in a Husky, but i know KTM LC4 engine is not getting enough lube when on a wheelie. I'm not sure but maybe the gearbox is not gettng oil on a wheelie also.
    Second - when wheeliing, i switch gears without a clutch. Well when i ride normally i switch through a clutch only. But when on a wheelie i cant use clutch, so i have to switch with a short throttle drop.
    Third - i have sometimes experienced a 'false neutral' between 2nd and 3rd. Pretty rare, but somedays it could be pretty often - like 5 times a day. Now i understand this had a development - lately i had that false neutral happening much more often. I'm thinking maybe that caused the damage to the gear? Can anyone tell what is the cause for a false neutral to be happening? Maybe bent gear switching forks or something else unadjusted?
  12. mekanik Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Started my warranty claim in March, still waiting for parts :mad:
  13. loften630 Husqvarna
    A Class

I just lost 3rd gear on mine couple days ago as well. 9000 miles on the bike. Bought the bike may 11' so Im assuming its out of warranty.
  14. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    Husky Sport in the UK has gears, they're the only place in the whole world with a 630 3rd gear as far as my weeks of searching told me... Mine started with a bent fork, my fault. No broken teeth, just rounded dogs...
  15. tommyk Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    630 sms
    Other Motorcycles:
    zx10r
    lost 3rd today....
  16. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS

Oopsie... At least you can get parts more quickly now...

My guy charges $250 for a bottom end rebuild + parts, most places charge much more, don't get robbed.
  17. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    What's it doing, exactly? Won't put down power in 3rd, or won't shift into 3rd? Find any chunks yet?