TE630 Surging and stumbling off closed part throttle

Discussion in '610/630' started by bushwa, Apr 15, 2014.

1. bushwa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Hawk Gt
    Hi all. Here's my issue. Recently picked up a 2011 TE630. It has the JD Jetting tuner installed, but in my opinion, still runs like poo, especially at small throttle openings and on off throttle transitions. It bucks and stumbles when opening the throttle from steady state cruise at low rpm, and on off throttle transitions are very jerky. It still has the O2 sensor in the pipe, but I haven't been able to dig deep enough into the wiring to confirm it's still plugged in or has the power up plug/resistor installed. Otherwise stock. I'll check the JD Jetting settings tonight, but wanted to get some input with respect to tuning or suggested settings. Should I just do the PU plug if it's not already installed and reset to default JD jetting settings? Guess I have some digging to do?
  2. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    SuperTenere-GL1800-CBR900RR-KLX250S
    How low rpm? They don't like 5th or 6th gear much below 3500 rpm.

You're on the right track - determine if you have PU plug and look up the JD Tuner thread for good settings.

3. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    Assuming it has the PU plug, based on the symptoms, my first blind guess is that your green/blue setting is too high, I run it around 2 and that smoothed me out. My SMS has a TE ECU, so results in that area should be similar. If you want smoother power delivery, I'll trade you my original SMS ECU, it's not as responsive (jerky) as the TE.

If the O2 sensor is still connected (no PU) it's still in closed loop and could be trying to fight your JD by leaning it back out.
  4. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I would suggest determining the answer to this before anything else you do.
  5. bushwa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Hawk Gt
    Going to check it out this weekend. No better way to get to know a new ride than to remove and replace the tank 3 times within a week. And to clarify, it happens in all gears, and seems to be at it's worse between 3000 and 5000 rpm.
  6. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    SuperTenere-GL1800-CBR900RR-KLX250S
    For shit/grins throw in a new spark plug and make sure you've got fresh premium fuel. Might also try bypassing the tuner...

good luck

7. bushwa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Hawk Gt
    Alright. The o2 sensor is unplugged. Po has installed and taped up a 2200 ohm resistor across the two terminals on the clip side of the plug. The jd jetting is set with
    Green 4.5
    Yellow 4.5
    Red 5.5
    Green/blue 3
    Yellow/blue 4
    Red/blue 6
    Anyone know what the resistor value of the power up plug is supposed to be?
    And, how does those settings look for the jd jetting, stock bike.
    It stumbles and surges in any gear between 3500 ish and 5000 rpm.
  8. Joshua Olson Husqvarna
    B Class

With my personal experiences I would try turning red/blue down to 3.5 or 4. I had similar issues where everytime I would go to shift and I would let the clutch out it would stumble so hard I thought it had died and then just take off again. For comparison sake I have an sm model, pu installed, air maze removed, stock exhaust.
  9. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    Take the yellow/blue down to 2 and see what that does.
    This setting determines when it switches from low to medium in the range and setting it too high can cause it to stumble on transitions.
  10. mekanik Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    2200 resistor equates to homemade power up, no sense in buying the factory one.
  11. bushwa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Hawk Gt
    Thanks all. She's more or less sorted out :-). Desnorkled, added 3 1" holes in the air box lid under the side panel, returned the power surge to JD's recommended set points, with the exception of red was set at 5 instead of 3. No more stumble. No more jerky throttle transitions. Happy!