TE630: Safari 25L Tank with Scotts Sub-mount

Discussion in '610/630' started by genghis9021, May 17, 2014.

1. genghis9021 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM950 Husaberg FE570 Suzuki DRZ400
    I'd hoped to piggyback this on the 'Overland Project' thread but seems almost like a hijack at this point.

This was important to me as my TE630 was being prepped for some remote riding in Siberia/Mongolia/Central Asia where my KTM 950 has lived since August 2011. The KTM is now resting in Osh, Kyrgyzstan. I'll pick it up this summer and try to exit via Russia - the other choices are China (expensive, adventure-less) and Turkmenistan/Iran (fantastic but difficult paperwork to obtain).

After lots of emails and phone calls with Scotts in Montrose, CA (which isn't that convenient since I live in Thailand) I took the bike over to Eric & Steve for a "look-see", which they'd both recommended and were generous enough to perform. My 630 was residing in Simi Valley where my father-in-law lives and Montrose (Scotts) is a 30-minute drive.

[IMG]

Two weeks later the new post mount was made (and is generally available). However, there is a small rub to the good news. Steve feels there have been several generations of at least minor versions of the Safari tank. If yours has a VERY thick tab (> 1") where the tank mount bolt goes through the new post mount won't work. Otherwise, it seems the largest issue would be the SHAPE of the hole in the tank. Mine was rectangular and Steve says earlier ones were round. This would necessitate some gentle filing or material removal on the post mount and/or the tank.

If your tank forward mounting tab looks like this . . . Scotts has a mount ready to go.

[IMG]

I'll post additional work done on my bike (and give credit to contributors) ASAP. At the moment I'm getting ready to depart for central Asia and an attempt to ride the KTM 950 back to London and shipment back to the US.
  2. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    SuperTenere-GL1800-CBR900RR-KLX250S
    Safe trip Kurt

Yes, more pics please..

3. Huskyfatman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Scotts is the best company when it comes to supporting low production/exotic and even out of production bikes. Most companies won't give you the time of day unless you have a high production bike. Scotts is dedicated to our sport and are a class act. Thanks for the post.
  4. SilverBullet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 300EXC, V-Strom650, Super Tenere