TE630 - Any Buying Advice?

Discussion in '610/630' started by SimpleOne, Jan 4, 2014.

1. SimpleOne Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    09 ZX-6R Trackbike
    Hi,

I'm looking at a TE630 to replace my DRZ400SM, I was wondering if anyone had some buying advice in terms of:

Common problems and their solutions
    Any Recalls
    Common aftermarket upgrades that are 'must haves'
    Common aftermarket upgrades that are 'nice to haves'
    Model Year history (i.e. what changed between the different model years, if anything)

I'm buying from interstate since there is nothing at all locally, so I'm trying to get as much info as I can.

My major concern is anything that might cause engine damage. I've read comments saying that these bikes are so lean from the factory to meet emissions regs that you are risking engine damage if the bike doesn't have a P/U kit installed and a remapped ecu. It seems absurd to me that this could be the case, but is there some truth to what is probably a big exaggeration?

Cheers
  2. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    SuperTenere-GL1800-CBR900RR-KLX250S
  3. SimpleOne Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    09 ZX-6R Trackbike
    Great info, thanks!
    The only real alternative to the TE630 is a KTM690 Enduro and they're literally twice the price.
  4. SimpleOne Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    09 ZX-6R Trackbike
    So the bike I'm looking at has a VIN ending in 'V000058'. I'm guessing that means its a very early build (possibly number 58?)
    Were there any issues i should be aware of in the early bikes in particular, like serious issues that were quickly fixed by the factory?
    Bike has 16k km's on it, so I'm guessing it can't be all bad, but all of those km's have been run without a PU kit or anything like that, so maybe dangerously lean, is it possible that it could have suffered damage or premature wear?
    If so, would such damage show up with a simple compression test?
  5. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes on the compression test (even better a leak-down), and you'd see what the plug looks like.

Does it say 2010 or 2011 on the vin tag? Only recall I can remember was the clutch push rod. My dealer said it was done before I bought my bike.

6. SimpleOne Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    09 ZX-6R Trackbike
    year model seems to be 2010 (based on the registration papers), though there is nothing in the VIN itself that directly indicates that.
  7. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Pretty sure some 630s say 2010 on the frame sticker and some say 2011. Mine is a fairly early 2010.

I would think that any damage from leanness would have shown up long before 16k kms passed (my opinion is damaging leanness would be more of an issue on a SMS bike where it sees more sustained high load/high rpm/high gear riding). Still I'd do a comp test if you can. Beyond the wear you can see (chain, sprockets, etc), you could be due for cup spring washers, cam chain, wheel bearings, fork refresh, etc. If the price is right most of us would agree the bike is special and worth the effort. And after some refresh you'd know what you had.

8. SilverBullet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 300EXC, V-Strom650, Super Tenere
  9. SimpleOne Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    09 ZX-6R Trackbike
    Excellent thanks gents, I'll probably give it a try for the price.
  10. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Believe there was a TSB on the clutch push rod for difficult shifting which should be investigated if you experience that problem.
  11. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    Mine is number 0027 and the paperwork says it's a 2011.
  12. SimpleOne Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    09 ZX-6R Trackbike
    Yeah this one is a B, so 2011 as it turns out thanks to Silver Bullets handy link!
  13. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    Just checked my vin. It's a B.
  14. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Mine is B #205 made in 6/10. IIRC, Jim's is a lower ser# than mine but was made after mine. This is what made me think mine was a '10 and his an '11.....?

15. SilverBullet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 300EXC, V-Strom650, Super Tenere
    The ending numbers of the VIN is sequential production for the given year. It resets to 000001 every year hence the need to use the Alpha code to determine model year. This is the same for all vehicles and all manufacturers.

_
  16. Philthy Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yammy WR250f
    I believe there was some changes made along the way, when I went to buy a safari tank I was asked if my tank had the 5 hole or later version 6 hole attachment for the pump assembly.
  17. WickedWill Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    some little red ones
    Yes and different stickers.
    You can use the 6 hole fuel pump plate on the 5 hole tank.When i got my 5 hole tank i thought about putting another thread into the tank.It hasn't leaked so haven't worried about.Odd they decided to change the mounting plate on the 2nd generation bike.
  18. Philthy Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yammy WR250f
    I had heard of a few fuel leaks from the early bikes, I'd had no problem with the 6 hole versionl tank, however the safari tank I received got fitted to the bike 4 times and it leaked every time,even with extra thick nitrile rubber gaskets. Its now in the safari graveyard, the tank itself would have been great but the crap surface of the pump housing was very second rate. Original tank straight back on a not a problem, just the limiting 200k range or carry extra fuel. Credit to Safari though they agreed to refund the purchase.
  19. SimpleOne Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    09 ZX-6R Trackbike
    hmmm, tis bad news on the Safari side as this bike is coming with one, hopefully its alright!
  20. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    Lots of people love the tank. Just watch for leaks. I never bought one because of the price and the looks. I can get by without one, anyway.

One of those nomad tanks has always been tempting, though.