TE610 outer clutch hub spring retainer fix

Discussion in '610/630' started by Toddler, Jun 9, 2012.

1. 630 driver Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    sms 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    honda, suzuki, yamaha
    Yes you hit the counter sunk side or the head of the rivet with a flat rivet tool in the air hammer the side that gets smashed is called the shop head. And no I have not done mine yet, I was going to replace the fifth and sixth gear this Jan but now I am moving so it will have to wait till I get settled. I will put the TE gears in and do the clutch at the same time along with the valves and timing chain.
  2. Grump Husqvarna
    A Class

Ok great, thanks for confirming that and also explaining the "shop head" terminology.
  3. Spice Weasel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 SM610
    I found my clutch cush spring seats were worn out after my chain snapped, its lain in bits since.
    Well im finally getting around to seeing about fixing it now.
    Im going to attempt to make my own spring seats, but a bit thicker so they will wear a bit longer.
    I could only source some EN8 round bar locally, so that will have to do.
    It is supposed to harden relatively well.
    Its going to keep me busy for a while, so...
    We will see what the outcome is, watch this space.......
    [IMG]
  4. Stujam Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09te610, 11te630
    Talking to a mechanic and fabricator about these cush/cush wasers.... he has some idea but need some info from the cush ...

Can anyone get the overall uncompressed length of the spring, the number of coils and the wire thickness, also the length of the spring cavity in the clutch hub.

** i got the spring sizes just need the cavity size in the cush please .
  5. Stujam Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09te610, 11te630
    Also I may have source for new washers in Australia soon ...
  6. Spice Weasel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 SM610
    I ended up not making my own spring seats, i dont think it would have worked very well with my little lathe.
    I got my spring seats made by Bespoke Bits Click for link from tool steel. They were a great company to deal with.
    These are the dimensions i got mine made to.
    16mm O/D, 8mm O/D spigot x 4mm long, total length of seat 7mm
    Just to be clear, small part (spigot) that goes inside the spring - 4mm long
    Wide part that spring seats on - 3mm thick
  7. Stujam Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09te610, 11te630
    Spiceweasel you got you washers made @16mm while stock & indys are 14.5..
    They fit up ok ? Was this so they might spin less
  8. Spice Weasel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 SM610
    I took my clutch apart and measured the springs with my vernier caliper.
    The springs simply had a 16mm diameter, so i just got the seats made to match.
    The diameter of the wire the springs are made from is 4mm, so i got the spigot length made the same.
    The slots where the springs with seats go could only fit seats with 3mm thick bases, there isnt enough space for thicker seat bases
    I also peened the rivets myself, cold. I put a hammer in my vice, put the back of the rivet on it and used another hammer with a large flat ended drift to flatten the end. It was surprisingly easy and is still good 5000 miles on. HTH
    Theo likes this.
  9. justintyme Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    HD Superglide
    Can you tell us approximately how much Bespoke bits charged you for yours??, I wonder if a person ordered a few sets if there would be any discount
  10. Spice Weasel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 SM610
    I used Bespoke Bits because theyre not too far away from me and they were recommended by another biker.
    They charged me £72 delivered for a 1 off job.
    If youre from outside the UK i recommend finding an engineer local to you and using either mine or Indys measurements.
    Youd be better off going in on Stujam's group buy.
  11. scudster Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 610e
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 1090 Adventure R, DT250, CBR900
    Spiceweasel can you send me on and order number you used or something so I can ask your supplier to make another set please.
  12. Flynn Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    I will be calling that shop tomorrow and asking them about this. No email address on website, only phone number. It would have been convenient if I could have emailed them a link to this thread, I figure they must be really old school and thus wouldn't be able to read it anyway. Any chance I could send them a whole spare clutch hub and get them to do it that way!?
  13. scudster Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 610e
    Other Motorcycles:
    I asked them to make an exact replica of Spiceweasels order and they asked me to send them dimensions so there'd be no confusion. I'll have a dig for the email I sent them with dims on it.
  14. CJBROWN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    '15 R1200GS
    The indyunlimited dimensions should be easy enough to track down. Post up if you need help with that.
  15. scudster Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 610e
    Other Motorcycles:
    Here's what I sent them. Email address is there too. IMG_2254.PNG
    Spice Weasel likes this.
  16. Spice Weasel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 SM610
    Indy Unlimited's dimensions -
    http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/he...0-630-clutch-issues.16604/page-11#post-541994
    I went for the maximum thickness of seat i could fit in, this leaves a very small gap between the coils of the spring for it to compress and obviously puts them under a higher preload. My OEM washers were worn through at 4000ish miles with bits of them in my sump, so this made me go for the thickest replacements i could fit. My logic, more metal takes longer to wear through, wont have to take it apart again so soon. Anyways, i only got to do 2500 miles last year, so i have 7500 miles of paved road only punishment since fixing it, and nothing has broken yet, and the spring seats and basket beneath the seats barely look worn. The basket fingers are notched from the edges of the plates beating against it, but not bad for 12500 miles and i will file them out for a bit extra life.
  17. Flynn Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Thanks scuster and Spice Weasel, very useful information there! Looks like I will be able to get my clutch hub sorted after all!
  18. GeekVenture Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Africa Twin
    I have a set of these cup washers w/ rivets for sale if anyone is looking...
  19. bunyips Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE 610 IE
    Hey Geekventure!! Do you still happen to have a set of these? Please :)