1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

TE511 Voyager Tachometer

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Riding Again, Jan 4, 2018.

1. Riding Again Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sold TriumphTiger800xcx, TR650 Terra
    I just recently purchased a completely farkled TE511. Has every thing on it. Although the tachometer does not work on the voyager, Never hooked up. I believe there is a way to do this and would like this to be my start of working on the bike.Any help is appreciated.

So I have tried a search and read the first 25-30 pages of this thread and can not really narrow down how to hook up the tachometer to a 2012 TE511 through the voyager unit. I see some one mentioned there is two methods. Can any one share some information on how you hooked your tachometer up and has it been reliable so far?

Thank You,

Edit: So after some research figured I would add this link for future reference of Trail Tech Voyager rpm wire with resister for tachometer. It is on Page 2

https://gallery.trailtech.net/media/instructions/computers/vapor/010-ELV-07.pdf
  2. Riding Again Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ok so I found this about the tachometer.

Evan Griffith said:
    Sorry about the broken pic link, but my Vapor has been up and running (RPMs) for over a year (for about 1500 miles) directly soldered to the coil lead. I spoke w/ Trail Tech support and they sent me a lead with a smaller resistor in-line, but I haven't tried it. I probably won't try it until my setup quits on me. I recommend you call Trail Tech and have them send you a new RPM line w/ resistor. Good luck.

Trenchcoat85 likes this.
  3. Riding Again Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    I went on the Trailtech Voyager website and saw there is different Tachometer accessories. I sent a message to Trailtech about the information I found and if they could offer any assistance. I will post back what I find out. Seems I like just need the right part and solder into the coil lead with a resister.

I would think some one else has done this by now many times over?
  4. Riding Again Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Going to place this information here as it seems could be a good description of one person doing it.
    I reconnected (soldered) the red tach lead to the red/black lead going into the coil connector. I connected ground to the engine just behind and below the oil filter housing. Then per Trail Tech recommendations, I set the pulses per revolution to 0.5. I rode the bike to work afterwards and the tachometer appears to be indicating correctly. I only have 10 minutes of ride time on the working tach, but so far so good.

Evan Griffith, Aug 13, 2013

Updated - After riding about 30 minutes the tach went haywire, bouncing all over the place, indicating 10,000+ RPM, and the LEDs were flashing. I reset the Vapor and the erroneous readings came back after a minute or two. Then it just started working again before I shut the motorcycle off. I'll ride it for a week or so and repost my experience, but if anyone has the Vapor tach hooked up and working correctly, PLEASE HELP!

SOLVED (Well, sort of)

Read in Acewell motorcycle computer install manual that if getting erroneous RPM results when connected to coil, to install a 1M Ohm resistor in the circuit. So that's what I did. I spliced the red line and soldered in a waterproof resistor (remember that I have my red tach lead soldered into the black/red wire off the coil connector). Well, that gave me nothing on the Vapor. So I began experimenting. I figured I added too much resistance, so I jumped the resistor so I'd have a direct connection. The RPMs went haywire. Then I noticed that if I just moved the wire I was using to jump the resistor near the line on the other side of the resistor, I got RPM readings that looked good and stable.

So, my solution was to solder in a wire from one side of the resistor and wrap it around the red wire on the other side (I did strip the end of my jumper wire before I wrapped it around the red Tach lead). See the picture below. It's ugly, but it works. I suspect there is a simpler solution using a smaller resistor, but I only had one size.

I have about 30 minutes on the bike since I got the tachometer working and it's still working great. I'll provide an update in the future if something goes wrong.

Motosportz and NCSteve like this.
  5. Riding Again Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    So the second to last paragraph seems to have worked. I think I understand what Evan is saying but that picture would be worth the thousand words.
  6. Riding Again Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    So I do have a wire run from under the coil to the voyager head unit. This method is not working. Next step is to take it out and splice one of the 3 wires to the coil to the rpm wire and see if that shows the proper tachometer signal. More to come on this by next week.
  7. Riding Again Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    I have been doing some more research and realized that if hooking to a coil you need to use a different sensor rpm wire altoghter.

Part Number: 7000-1004
    This has the resister built inline and should read the rpm signal with no ground according to the Justin on the technical side. I had just ordered a new rpl wire and glad I researched because I called back and spoke to justin and got the 7000-1004. This should solve every ones problem for the tachometer when hooked up to the red/black wire off of the coil.

This all sounds good. When I get my wire I will need to dissemble my bike and find out how to tap into the coil wire as I have not seen it yet. I will try to get some pictures for every one as I go too.

Here is a link to installation of rpm wire with resister for coil pack mounted tachometer:
    https://gallery.trailtech.net/media/instructions/computers/vapor/010-ELV-07.pdf