1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

TE511 or TE449 Dead Throttle Question?

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Desertyucca, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Oh okay. Yes, that little brown ground wire needs to be attached to your sub-frame location away from harms way. It's not even a high voltage ground and should never of been added to the head. I wish the coil ground wasn't epoxy potted so we could add braid instead.
    TE in RC likes this.
  2. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Fascinating and brilliant! :thumbsup:

Part of me is curious if that might help the xlite motors with the starter motors burning out. Those bike seem to either have the problem, or not have the problem i.e. if a starter burns out on a TE310, then the replacement tends to burn out.
    TE in RC, fasteer and oregonsage like this.
  3. Desertyucca Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 511 & TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    DR650, IT490 a few others.
    TE511 in LA-B2LV! Close to 500 miles over two days, 100's of miles of sand, Rocks, Hill climbs, miles and miles of whoops with little rest for the bike or rider. Only experienced two throttle error's out of who knows how many hundreds of thousands of throttle twist! My opinion, additional grounding, cap move, coil ground relocation help reduce this problem. :thumbsup: Bike ran like a champ! No mechanical issues :cheers:
    fasteer, TE in RC and Tinken like this.
  4. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    I believe the reason why the xlite starter motors burn out is because they are unable to handle the higher current draw. Current draw from the starter varies with battery condition and as the voltage drops from the battery the current is inversely increased. Lithium ion battery packs which typically run at higher operating voltages may help solve this problem with the addition of a start capacitor.
    [IMG]
    http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=151308
  5. TE in RC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 449
    Other Motorcycles:
    98-ATK 605 2011-TE250
    Way to go Husky! I am seeing a more and more Husky's on the trail!
    Great job on the LA-B to LV. I got to work Friday, Saturday & Sunday!:thumbsdown:
    Desertyucca and Tinken like this.
  6. Radar Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE449
    Desertyucca I think you are on to something. I am one of those Te owners that has electronic and mechanical experience that you are looking for.

I am amazed that the throttle body is nor grounded. Anyone that has used a shop vac or air compressor knows that air movement can cause static electricity to build up. With the throttle body on the TE449 the arc path to ground is through the TPS into the ECU. This could not be good.

I added a ground to the throttle body.

I also grounded the ignition coil directly to the frame. I think this will help prevent ignition noise from entering the ECU as well as hopefully preventing a failure of the ground wire.

I had already moved the battery ground to the nearby sub frame bolt and increased the size of the battery leads to #8 wire. This was in an effort to prevent the starter from stalling and resetting the trip meter. It helped a little.

These changes have improved the personality of my bike. It runs smoother and the few flame outs that I have had since can be attributed to pilot error. I think these are must do upgrades.

My bike is a 2012 TE449 that is mostly stock. It is not powered up. I have removed the vacuum leak they call the evap canister. I have just over 1000 miles on it. It gets 50 mpg. I have changed to a 14 tooth counter shaft sprocket. It will now idle at 5 mph and the top speed is 78 mph. I think the top speed is electronically limited because it gets there quickly and easily and stays right at 77,78 tucked in or not.
    Coffee likes this.
  7. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    My TE511 was used for JD jettings EFI setup. Seat of the pants told me it would not rev out as far as it should and JD confirmed this. Was due to an overly lean condition. My personal bike would not pull over 8000 on the dyno before falling
    on it's face due to way to lean. The JD jetting EFI tuner richens up this WFO map and allows it to rev the other 2000 plus RPM. My bike will do over 90 no problem now.

From JD's dyno, the EFI tuner and my TE511

Blue is stock but with race map and decatted muffler and red is the same but JD EFI tuned. As you can see here the bike will not pull past 78 mph.

[IMG]
    Robster and TE in RC like this.
  8. Desertyucca Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 511 & TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hi Radar! You work on Radar? I work in RF areas :thumbsup:

I was also amazed the ground wires from the battery to the engine as well as the main wire harness grounds were so undersized. Resistance increases when copper is heated. Indication why the starter is dragging when hot.

The entire grounding idea was a long shot and so far the bike as you indicated has a new personality once all the grounds were added.

Thanks for your feedback! :cheers:
  9. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Just WOW!

:thumbsup:
  10. Radar Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE449
    Desertyucca, Yes I am a retired marine radar and HF radio tech and old busted up desert racer.

Motosportz, I am unburdened by any knowledge of the facts so I can speculate at will. I think the 2012 TE449 in reduced power mode may have a speed or rev limiter feature. In race map of coarse it would not. The only lean running symptom my bike has is it won't go to warp factor 12 like yours will. But I don't want that. What I have now is the ultimate trail bike running in impulse power.

SDPUTTER and Desertyucca like this.
  11. mikebru Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 WR250; 2012 TE449; 2005 TE450
    Radar can you please post some pictures of your grounding modifications? I am tentative to make electrical mods so the more photos the better. It would be greatly appreciated.
  12. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
  13. Radar Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE449
    I will do that next time I have it apart.
  14. mikebru Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Thanks Tinken and Radar.
  15. Desertyucca Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 511 & TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    I hit this problem often with some of my links. :excuseme:
  16. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    The images are link locked. You can download the images and then reupload them.
  17. Desertyucca Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 511 & TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    I tried a few concept's, I wanted a Buss type ground to attach all my grounds to.

With all the great minds and experience we have on this forum someone will find the magic install that works and looks nice :thumbsup: I am worried the solder will work loose some day, back to the drawing board. I would like to see other installs :cheers:

1st design, test phase. Few desert runs and one GP. Worked great.
    https://plus.google.com/photos/105926185939846057121/albums/5816752609275266801

Used this on the LA-B2LV run.
    Photo Link using two braided ground straps from Napa. Some 400 deg solder. Shrink tubing.
    https://plus.google.com/photos/105926185939846057121/albums/5816753331101514769
  18. Radar Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE449
    [IMG]

This photo shows my ignition ground modification. I spliced the existing ground wire into a braded wire. I kept the ground wire as short as practical and solid mounted the splice to the plug. Hopefully this will reduce vibration induced metal fatigue.

The braded ground wire connects to the frame under a hose clamp and continues on to the engine ground lug.

[IMG]

In this photo you can see the larger battery leads with the negative lead connecting to the new ground point at the sub frame bolt. Also you can see the green ground wire on the throttle body
    Desertyucca likes this.
  19. Radar Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE449
  20. mikebru Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Awesome, thanks Radar and Desertyucca.