1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Te511 oil shower

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Josh Feller, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Josh Feller Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 te511
    Has anyone had any luck with dealer support on a solution for the oil puking 511, I'm at 350 miles now still not getting any better I did the break in oil change at 100mi and was fine for a while but when I hit the twistys the other day she was puking again and now every day sense! I am about ready to be pissed off, and see about a refund and a new bike!
  2. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R
    Josh, the vast majority of us are getting by fine by keeping the oil level in the lower half of the window (the point at which it runs out the fill hole if sitting upright) and doing regular oil changes to keep the oil fresh. Under that scenario my 511 hasnt blown a drop of oil in over 2 years, and its still running strong. I am going to try the Zip-Ty valve cover breather to see if it allows for a bit more oil to be run, but running the typical 2-3 hours GP/XC races in the northwest and changing the oil after every race it has held up fine so far as-is.

The only bike I personally know of that had a persistent blowby problem was lacking a piston ring after a rebuild. Once the rings were replaced it was fine.
    Josh Feller likes this.
  3. James Patton Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511 2012, WR125 2006
    Other Motorcycles:
    1250S Bandit, DRZ400S
    How much oil? My 2012 TE511 does not puke oil, I use 1 liter 0/40 Mobil one. This is removing both oil screens,
    And filter and letting it drain awhile. When I was using 15/50 on first oil change it did, since then, none.
    Josh Feller likes this.
  4. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I think running the 0/40 weight helps a lot.
    oregonsage, Tinken and Josh Feller like this.
  5. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R
    Im planning to go the full liter with 0-40 on my next oil change....which is due on the 449 as soon as I get in the right frame of mind.
    Josh Feller likes this.
  6. 511BRAAP Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    He who dies with the most toys wins
    Hey Josh, I have been around the block with the oil bs and know your frustration. There are a few posts on this, here's a summary of what I have found to work. The first 3 oil changes I noticed a fair amount of fuel in the oil, in addition to oil puking everywhere. I tried running 800-900cc of oil and it worked... but its considerably less than the 1150cc the motor was designed to run on. On the third oil change I made the mod to the breather hose and oil fill plug cap in the pics below. The clear hose still goes to the air box nipple to vent the gasses and the hose on the bottom left returns oil through the tapped oil fill plug. -Zipty has a nice aluminum fill plug adapter if you f up your plastic one.

When I made the breather return mod I also changed to 0w-40 Mob, running 1200cc and haven't had any motor oil in the air box the last few rides. Since I changed to the 0w-40, I can now find neutral when stopped and have noticed that the clutch basket and motor sounds quieter. There was considerably less fuel in the oil at my last change at about 1300 miles, so I think it just took awhile (around 800-900 miles) for the rings to seat up...

I am also waiting for Tinken's / Zipty's 2 part breather mod and bottle set up so I have better piece of mind with the torque limiter, when wide open in the flats or on the highway.

View attachment 24732
    511 oil breather return mod 1.JPG
    Josh Feller likes this.
  7. 511BRAAP Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Not sure why the first pic didn't post...
    511 oil breather return mod 2.JPG
    Josh Feller likes this.
  8. Josh Feller Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 te511
    I used about a quart, filled to 1/4 up the sight glass and was fine for about 100 mi but now it shows full on the glass (when warm) and is puking. I guess I am getting very frustrated because I spent 9k on a motocycle that cant keep oil, I could have bought and old triumph to get the same thing!I dont like the idea of running a motor low on oil for fear of warranty issues, I am almost ready to tell the dealer where they can put this thing and I've only had it for a month! I also want to try zip ty's mod but it has yet to come out yet, and I am still kind of pissed that we even have to re-engineer the motorcycle! I dont mind tinkering but when you buy the bmw of motorcycles you expect precision not slop! (pun inteneded)
  9. 511BRAAP Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yeah I hear ya. At the end of last summer I told the manager of Sacramento dealer to keep the f'n thing until they had a viable solution. While I waited 4 weeks for them to tell me that BMWs solution was to run less oil, I did a fair amount of reading here and decided there must be an alternative solution. I followed the 50 page breather mod thread for a couple months, then decided to do the above mod about a few weeks ago, no problem since. When I get the breather bottle and do the mod, I'll just swap and plug the hoses. I'd also bet that your rings need some more time to fully seat, so the exess fuel in your oil is also contributing a lot to the execessive blow by.

Other than the piss pour breather vent design, I do really love this bike and plan to keep it for a long time. The CTS is different than any other dirt bike I've been on. I say spend 20 bucks on the parts for this mod and a gallon of 0w-40 Mob 1, you'll be a happy rider again. Takes less than an hour to do.
    Josh Feller likes this.
  10. 511BRAAP Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    If I did mine over, would tap the filler plug with a 90 deg elbow instead of a straight fitting, so the hose could be better routed around the clutch, closer to the motor.
  11. Josh Feller Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 te511
    will the breather mod affect the warranty? I spoke to my dealer about his recomedation (run less oil) and that the manufacturer recomends alot more oil than the 800 cc's they suggest, I have not had problem with the fuel in the oil yet we will see I am going to change the oil again and see. you are right about it not being broken in yet, just be patient right?
  12. 511BRAAP Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    What I did shouldn't, just returning agitated oil back to the fill chamber in the case and you could always swap the hoses back to stock. I would imagine that Tinken's mod will... but depends on whats more important to you I guess... Mine has been out of warranty for awhile, so different story for me. And I had the race map plugged in before I left the dealer! I think the torqe limiter is definitely something to be worried about if you ride at 60 to 70 mph for any extended period of time.

Oil doesn't just grow in volume,(beyond heat expansion) so its either coolant or fuel. You can't see the fuel in the oil, but can smell it and can do the paper towl drip test if you can't really smell it. I had fuel in mine that seemed to go away around 8, 900mi, which is kind of a long break in period for a bike with a 400-500mi service interval... but hoping this will mean longer engine life in the end... You'll feel a lot more patient if you re-route that excess oil back to the case! No oil mess = lower rider blood pressure:thumbsup:
  13. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    0W oils and high flow stainless steel oil filters will definitely improve the lifespan of your engine. Thinner oils do not expand as much as thicker oils, so they tend not to come out the oem breathers as much. If nothing else, just diverting the hot blow by gasses away from the torque limiter, up the timing well and out the valve cover is a huge step in the right direction. Oil tends to exit my valve cover breather during extended high rpm's. No matter where I put the breather, atomized oil is going to exit the breather no matter what. My new breather bottles are billet, anodized and actually cool the atomized oil and return it to the crankcase while residual blow by gasses are re-burned by the engine. Ty even talked about adding cooling fins to the outside, just for Kelly... not sure if they will actually have those though. LOL
  14. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    :D

I'd like mine multi i color anodized too please.

[IMG]
  15. Rearwheelin Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 XCW 300
    Mine will never, ever, ever puke in the airbox or reconsum blow-by gases again.
    [IMG]
  16. James Patton Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511 2012, WR125 2006
    Other Motorcycles:
    1250S Bandit, DRZ400S
    My manual says 1 liter for oil change and filter replacement. The 1.15 liters of oil is max, usually refers to a disassembled
    Engine. This is using 10/40 oil.
  17. Rearwheelin Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 XCW 300
    George at Up-Tite says 20 hrs to break in these engines.
  18. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    BMW G450X
    MOTOR OIL POWER 1 RACING 4T 5W-40
    Engine oil, capacity max 1.15 l, with filter change
  19. Rearwheelin Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 XCW 300
    Like ..... yeah I got frustrated and built my own too .
  20. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Lay it down on the right hand side and give it a few throttle pulls :thinking: (just kidding...)
    Re-burning the blow-by gasoline is actually a good thing and you shouldn't have oil in the air box with the valve cover vent.
    Rearwheelin likes this.