1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

TE310R rear axle stuck

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by 310 newb, Jul 6, 2018.

1. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    Normal chain wear. Yep I've run 2 masters before without issue. Wheel too far forward
    310 newb and Trenchcoat85 like this.
  2. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    Turn chain around so other side wears
    hhdwtmtw likes this.
  3. fire1998 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I always use the 3 finger method for chain adjustment. 3 fingers between chain and swingarm right behind chain guide. Been doing it for years.
    NCSteve, 310 newb and shawbagga like this.
  4. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    Yeah I do the same except on top of slider(end of it where it screws into swingarm)
    NCSteve and 310 newb like this.
  5. 310 newb Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    te310r
    Other Motorcycles:
    cbr900rr
    Yeah, i thought about that too, but I dont know if you can see in the pics, but the sides of the chain are worn too.. the outer links are chamferred and the rivets are worn. One side more than the other admittedly, but i thing the guide block is worn too deep that it is enveloping the whole chain and its getting to the point there are ridges that reach between the links up into the o-rings. Ive ordered a new one.
  6. 310 newb Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    te310r
    Other Motorcycles:
    cbr900rr
    Ok, just a sanity check; that is with the back wheel off the ground, yeah?
  7. fire1998 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Yep....it has never failed me in 25 years of racing and riding!!
  8. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    Nah I just do it on static stand(partial weight off suspension but not fully off ground)
    Trenchcoat85 likes this.
  9. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    Most chains are around the 3-3.5T breaking strain so don't get too panicked by a bit of wear. They're tough!
  10. jetmani Husqvarna
    AA Class

I agree with the" better too loose than too tight comment", I always thought the chain on my TE250 was loose but apparently it was too tight and ended up chewing out the auxiliary bearing and stuffing up two gears.
  11. NCSteve Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 WR300 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    02 XR250R 00 XR100R
    Me too except I do it with the bike on the stand. Easy to confirm it's right with bike on the ground, belly on the seat, reach down and check chain slack. Same here, been doing it this way forever without issue :cheers:
  12. 310 newb Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    te310r
    Other Motorcycles:
    cbr900rr
    Ok so the RHK* chain guide, is pretty much dimensionally identical to the stock guide, except due to lack of wear it has exacerbated the problem of lifting the chain up against the larger rear sprocket due to lack of wear (the stock one is nearly finished, maybe 5mm left to go?
    Is this kind of savage angle normal?
    If i pull the chain taut to create a straight line, it seems the guide needs to go down a good 20-25mm for it to rest against the chain gently.
    I can make up brackets but it seems like a lot of unnecessary naffing around, although if i did I could just get a new OEM guide and be done with it.
    Or am I being overly fussy? Is it normal for the guide to lift the chain that much? It seems like there would be quite a lot of force acting between the block and the chain at that kind of angle. chain guide 014.jpg

*RHK Taiwanese made, about the only aftermarket parts you can get over here. Market is flooded with them. Seems ok quality, the blocks are milled from the proper nylon plastic. Much less friction than the stock one. The stock one really wants to grab the chain when i slide it over by hand.

Just wondering if the TM Designs chain guides mount a bit lower to accomodate a bigger sprocket? I could swear the OE one is designed for the 40t sprocket.
  13. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    It's the chain guide, as in guides the chain onto rear sprocket so doesn't derail. All the drive force/torque goes through the chain above swingarm, below is generally slack so won't stress it much at all. Danger is bending chain guide from rocks/crashes so not aligned with rear sprocket properly. Just ride it!
    310 newb likes this.
  14. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    your wheel is too far forward. move it back or get a smaller sprocket.
    shawbagga and 310 newb like this.
  15. 310 newb Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    te310r
    Other Motorcycles:
    cbr900rr
    ^ yeah I know. Im waiting on a master link. Local parts desk took 4 hours to get back to me so bought one online from the other side of the island-continent lol. Hasnt arrived yet.
    Like buggalugs says, I think ill just ride the effin thing lol. On a side not it turns out the tabs on the swing arm are holding both chain guides outboard waay too far to the point the chain drags on the inboard side and doesnt ride on the "gunsight" at all. Looks like a job for the big shifting spanner. Funny thing is there are no signs of damage or big hits,, and even if there were it should be bent the other way.
    The tabs themselves look like they are cut from an extruded section and welded on,, pretty hard to get wrong. Maybe this one was welded on a friday afternoon?
  16. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    chain guide: if it's rubbing on the side, it could be for one or more reasons: mounting tabs are bent, it's mounted wrong, or the sprockets or axle spacers are mounted wrong. I think on your xlite the spacers (with the lips) are the same for both sides.

if the slider is rubbing: wrong slider or one of the above problems.

my '14 came with a 40z rear sprocket and the stock chain guide handles a 52z just fine.
    310 newb likes this.
  17. 310 newb Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    te310r
    Other Motorcycles:
    cbr900rr
    Ok thanks. Yeah that is pretty much all ive been asking for the most part of this thread. 40t to 50t is a pretty big size difference though. Did the tc's and txc's come with the same guide? I believe they came with a 50t stock where as the te came with a 40t and an optional 50t included.?

As to the guide brakets being skewed, it actually works in my favour if i decide to make a braket.. it looks like i can simply bolt a 5mm aluminium plate to one side of both brackets.
    Will wait until i have my extra link to put the axle where its supposed to be first though. Been flat out with work and next ride is not next week but the week after (i think?) so not in much of a hurry lol.
  18. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    not only will you need an extra master link, but you'll need an inner female link to connect it. press out the pins of a compatible used chain, get some o-rings (don't worry about about x-ring or z-ring or whatever) fill the center with a dab of grease and you're good.

TC and TXCs used the same guide.
  19. 310 newb Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    te310r
    Other Motorcycles:
    cbr900rr
    Yes I have a whole matching 8 brand new links that came with this brand new chain so no worries there. The master will come with grease so no worries there. I got a rivet type so it looks neater.
    Ok, good to know they all used the same guide.
  20. rschneider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TXC310

I have the TM Deisgns block on mine with a 52 sprocket. I can confirm that it pulls the chain up slightly as well. I run my rear axle almost all the way back so it is not quite as bad. I was kind of surprised at how short the wheel base on the these bikes is. Right after I got it, I had my buddies RMZ250 loaded in my truck next to it and the wheel base was probably about an inch longer on the RMZ than the TXC. I never actually measured it, but it was very noticeable. For me, the bike seems to get better front end traction with the axle farther back.
    310 newb likes this.