1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Te310R ´14 rattles on low and midrange

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by gsxrbee, Jan 16, 2017.

1. gsxrbee Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 250 R `13
    Hi Guys!!! I read all the posts on this forum and I learned a lot about Italian Huskys; Many thanks!!!

A friend of mine own one of the lasts TE310R ´14 model year. It has 2700km "easy kms" trail ride, not hard enduro.

The bike has been running perfect, but a few weeks ago, started to rattle in low and mid range, with a little vibration. At high rpms. at high rpms the engine works perfect.

The symptoms is like if the engine do not work "perfect" (valve clearance has been checked and seems ok)

Some of you know what´s starting to happen?

Thanks!!!
  2. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    A 310R owner had the same issue, and in that thread there were some good suggestion of what the problem could be: http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/red-head-txc-310-engine-noise.85674/

In that particular case, it turned out the idle was too low- causing the auto-decompress to engage and also some chain slap noise caused by the erratic idle. The idle speed should be 1950rpm's and some people think maybe higher.

give it a read and see if you pick up any clues; keep us informed.

good luck.
  3. gsxrbee Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 250 R `13
    Hi Trenchcoat85, thanks by your help. I read all the post and it is not exactly the same problem.

Our bike idle normal, without noises, but when running on low or low to mid-range, you can feel that the engine doesn't work perfect. It rattles a little bit. Mid to high rpm's works perfect... Maybe it's a fuel pressure regulator system defect or something like that.

My friend always start the bike when cold with the kick starter (choke on) and the bike stars really easy, but after that, the idle goes up and down. When the choke is off, the bike idles really well.

Sometimes, cold or hot, if you open the throttle fast, the engine stall.

More ideas?

Thanks in advance
  4. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Sport Classic / Ducati Multi.
    I end up answering these the same way.... How is the battery? Stock, a few years old? Does it charge the battery running and hold above 12v just sitting? Maybe mis firing. It's got a load for headlight and tail light so may be something to at least check. I assume it has an appropriate map and power up so has been running cleanly till now. The stock Yuasa was always temperamental compared to an EarthX or similar Lion, but a weak m/c battery always is a cause for poor running. If misfiring could cause a mild ruckus.
    Trenchcoat85 likes this.
  5. gsxrbee Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 250 R `13
    Hello Johnrg. Many thanks for your accurate answer. The bike settings are fully open with Leovince Map. Never tried map 2 becuse the bike is not equipped with the map change switch. The battery is OEM Yuasa and give us 12,5v cold. Bike was manufactured in July 2013 and runs fine until now that rattles a litlle on low and mid range. Electric starter still works great with OEM battery, but my friend try to use it only on emergency situations due to known problems. The bikes starts easily (with kick starter) with choke ON, even hot. Sorry but I do not understand what you mean with "mild ruckus"...
  6. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    I just mean if misfiring will stumble and lose power. In any case most people are running map 3 and only thing I note is Map 3 is slightly rich from 0 rpms to 15% throttle. 10-20% rich(I installed a pcv and autotune so could monitor fuleing and see how Map 3 was).. Can affect cracking the throttle until warmed up, higher elevation hot starts and cause some pops on deceleration. Other than that I never noted any rattling but the fueling started to bother me at high elevations especially and the pcv cleaned it right up.
  7. gsxrbee Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 250 R `13
    Negative... the bike do not missfires and do not pops on decceleration. Bike runs great at high rpm´s but from low to mid range is a little bit "lazy"
  8. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Could the rattle be the chain slapping the swing arm if it is a little loose ?
  9. gsxrbee Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 250 R `13
    Hi Rancher1, no, the chain tension is Ok. The problem is not a sound... is the engine performance al low and mid rpm´s, but yes, the feeling on board is similar to chain slapping
  10. LAHuskyrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    1983 Maico 490, 2013 KTM 300 XC-W
    My temp sensor failed on my '13 TE310 and it ran crappy on the bottom and mid-range. Ran fine on top. When I replaced it, bike started running normal again.
    Trenchcoat85 likes this.
  11. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    *this*

I did not realize that a failing CTS could cause the bike to run rough down low... but still run fine in the upper rpm's. (I've heard of the opposite though; including not running at all). This little sensor can cause all kinds of weird voodoo- and for $15-20 USD it'd be good to have one on the shelf if it turned out not to be the problem.

[oops- I forgot you may not be a native english speaker; if you have a difficult time translating let me know and I'll straighten out my post]
  12. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    It could if you are sitting idling in traffic I would think. I overlooked that as well since was one of the first things my dealer replaced on initial sorting, in late 2012.
  13. gsxrbee Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 250 R `13
    Hi guys, thanks by all your ideas... The winner is.... Poor battery voltage!!!

We changed the battery AND both cables, positive and negtive (they seem very slim and one of them feels like broken) and now the bike runs perfect again.

Problem solved!!!
    motorpsycho, Johnrg and Trenchcoat85 like this.
  14. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Excellent! Thanks for posting your results.
  15. wags Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 te310r
    I changed the battery and both cables with #6 welding cables, larger wire and a lot more flexible.
  16. gsxrbee Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 250 R `13
    Very good improvement. 100x100 advisable!!!