1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

TE/TC 250 Adventure Bike build (street legal conversion)

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by TitaniumJedi, Aug 9, 2013.

1. TitaniumJedi Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TC/TE 250 Adventure Bike
    Other Motorcycles:
    FZR600R, BMW K100RS, Pegaso 650
    Hi, I'm about to outfit my 2007 TC 250 for a trans-world trip from Labrador to Patagonia. Although I found the voltage regulator on ebay, I am having trouble locating a TE or other enduro stator so I can get lights on the TC and plate it for street use. Can someone point me in the right direction?

I would also like a center stand, kick stand, passenger pegs, and rear luggage rack (preferably one with pannier racks), thanks!
    bud7041 likes this.
  2. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Welcome! :cheers:

Curious. Why a 2007 TC250? Seems like a bit of an odd choice, narrow gearbox for starters. :confused:
  3. Huskinator Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,TE510,TE450,TXC450,WR165,TE511
    Yes, very odd choice. That would be the last bike I would want to take on a trans-world trip! Even a TE250 would be a stretch.
  4. TitaniumJedi Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TC/TE 250 Adventure Bike
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks for the welcome! Good question.. i rode a big 1000cc BMW from Dublin to Venice and Tangiers in 2010, there were too many times I wanted up or down off a curb or to turn around on a dead end where the bike was too big and too low. Then in 2012 i returned for a 20 country trip around all of Europe (as far as Bulgaria) on an Aprilia Pegaso 650 dual sport. It allowed me to take dirt trails and set up camp at the base of castles etc for the night, but it was problematic and used more gas than I had expected. Those bikes are now gone and while hunting a dualsport I found an absolute steal on the TC 250, weighing a remarkable 220lbs i fell in love the first time I turned it around on a trail. It will get great gas mileage, never bottom out, and I will be able to easily crate the bike back from Patagonia. I've contemplated the gear spread, so far it's pleasing to me... chain drives in general however are not my favorite, requires constant adjustment as well as extra sprockets / chain to pack.
  5. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Well it certainly sounds like you know what you are doing, and know what you want.

The 2006/2007 TE250/450/510 and TC250/450/510 were all virtually identical with regards to the items you are desiring. I found this, maybe? It does not state what year it is for:
    https://tciproductsusa.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=144_155_189&products_id=657

I do not think that a center stand was ever made for those bikes, though someone over on ADV may have fabbed some up.

A standard TE kickstand should in theory fit fine (I think?), but not sure about the passenger pegs.

Keep in mind the subframe was not that strong on those bikes, and will need some work to make them strong enough to hold anything.

Good Luck! :cheers:
    bud7041 likes this.
  6. TitaniumJedi Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TC/TE 250 Adventure Bike
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hey thank you for the link on the rear luggage rack! That's awesome! Here is a link my brother sent me for passenger pegs, he picks his son up from football practice with them. http://www.rescuepegs.com/index.htm

I had the lower subframe bolts shear off on the pegaso, in Germany the first one broke and i drilled it out replacing it with a thicker bolt, then the second broke in Lithuania and I had to make a splint with a screw driver and hose clamps.. so I share your concern. The actual subframe broke on ewan mcgregors famous "Long Way Round" journy, I've taken a good hard look at the husky.. it honestly seems well engineered and I'll be packing lighter than last time. :thumbsup:

I could make do with the metal triangle stand and a back pack, but i must get the electrical system converted or I can't even go..
  7. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    That rescue pegs link is pretty nice.

You list your location as PA, so maybe take a peek here for the stator? Or email/call them? That is a fairly recent bike, and they would probably know off the top of their head what you would need
    http://www.halls-cycles.com
  8. Huskinator Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    What about a Trail Tech stator w/DC conversion and headlight, I put one on mine and love it. I hope you are not planning to go very fast. Top speed is like 55mph.
  9. TitaniumJedi Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TC/TE 250 Adventure Bike
    Other Motorcycles:
    I didn't see anything on Trail Techs website for Husqvarna, but i emailed them as well as electrexworld.co.uk and Hall's Cycle. I've not had a place to wind it out to top speed... if 55 is it I guess i'll need to add new sprocket(s) to my shopping list, does the TE have a higher top speed? and if so, is that because of the transmission or the sprockets?
  10. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 450 - last of the ITA motors
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    Sprockets. The close ratio 6 speed transmission that are on most race inspired Huskys is the equivalent of a 4 speed gearbox, you have a tall first gear (slip the clutch to get going from a stop if you are loaded down) and a short top gear (55mph unless you make the first gear even taller)
  11. TitaniumJedi Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TC/TE 250 Adventure Bike
    Other Motorcycles:
    I found some sprockets listed here near the bottom of the page.. http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/927/Chassis Do you have a recommendation? 15T/46T would give the highest top speed from their products i think.. haha but i have no idea what that would do to first gear. I don't plan on needing a good stop-and-go first gear, i'm more of a centerline/shoulder kind of guy in traffic. :)
  12. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 450 - last of the ITA motors
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    http://www.gearingcommander.com/

Your specific bike is not loaded at gearingcommander, but your bike IS a 5 speed, and it might be next to impossible to get the bike geared to where you could actually take off without burning your clutch up and then being able to do 55 mph.

As far as gas mileage goes, I thought my 450 would get maybe 50 mpg....I'm lucky to get 32mpg, high compression motors require alot of gas.
  13. Huskinator Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    It's a KTM stator, but it fits Husqvarna. I bought mine from Motosportz, and it came with special instructions to connect over to husky wiring. I don't see it on the website anymore but I know the parts must still be available.
  14. henson802 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    While I want it to be a success, your asking for trouble trying to maintain / sustain higher speeds with an engine built as a racer.

That's not to say it can't be done, but I have a feeling you will run into some issues. Also, are you going to have extra gear or baggage?

Good luck
  15. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    I ride my 010 TC250s (13\50) on the streets alot here but I'm only doing 30-35MPH (and less) and not for too many miles at a time before back on the dirt ..Gas mileage is ok at this speed but it is pretty slow for traveling very far ...

Good luck ... And it will be a balancing act on gearing for street vs dirt .. If you can stand to ride slow enough on the street, you'll have a better than average time in the dirt ...
  16. nineronesix Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 TE510
    Other Motorcycles:
    2003 DL1000 1978 CT90
    I have some passenger pegs in a box I got with my 2007 TE510. I haven't checked to see if all the parts are there, but you can have them for the cost of shipping.
  17. TitaniumJedi Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TC/TE 250 Adventure Bike
    Other Motorcycles:
    I'm 175lbs and always put a bunch of stuff in tank panniers to keep the tail light. My brother said supermotojunky might be able to advise the best highway sprockets to use.. I'll likely be passing old buses on crappy roads most of the time, and here in western PA you're lucky to find anything posted above 55 anyway.

I'll be pretty disappointed if the fuel consumption is high, engine parts fail, or altitude becomes an issue. I think a trek across the Rockys this fall would prove the husqvarna is worthy, if their bikes are anything like the chainsaws I use at work then I'm highly optimistic.

Now that Halls Cycle found a stator I'm busy trying to MacGyver an REI self-inflating butt cushion onto the seat haha http://www.rei.com/product/845302/rei-sit-pad

*edit: hey thanks for the pegs nineronesix! I'll PM you for details, thanks!
  18. Jumbwa Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 te 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    None
    What type of kickstand will fit a 2006 te450? The one that came on my bike is way to short.