TE 630 won't start when hot in hot weather

Discussion in '610/630' started by Cyprus Husky, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Cyprus Husky Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    GS, Africa Twin, XRL
    I'm getting desperate here. So the problem is that the TE 630 won't start when hot and in hot weather, the fuel pump doesn't charge up when the ignition key is switched on, the relay clicks but the pump doesn't make the usual sound. If I let the bike cool for 15 minutes, the bike starts again. I changed the thermostat valve, changed the coolant, and oil. Still the same problem. The bike is all stock. I'm suspecting the water temperature sensor, the fuel stop sensor, or maybe something else. I tried opening the gas tank to relieve the pressure, also tried push starting it but that didn't work either. Anyone else had the same problem?
  2. kirbybikes Husqvarna
    AA Class

The water temp sensor is a known problem. Try that first. Could do a search on here for more info.
  3. Oldscool Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    RM125, SWM RS500R & Superdual
    You say the fuel pump doesn't prime when hot??
    Confirm there's power to the pump, don't just assume the relay is good because you hear it. If the pump has power but isn't operating......that's your problem.
    You could try hitting the fuel tank when the problem is presenting to see if the pump comes alive.....if that makes the pump operate then it too indicates a failing pump.
  4. Cyprus Husky Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    GS, Africa Twin, XRL
    I will order one and replace cause it's not that expensive and it's cheaper than having the dealer take the bike apart and try to guess
  5. Cyprus Husky Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    GS, Africa Twin, XRL
    I'll try tapping the pump to see if this fixes the problem. The thing is that it's hard to replicate the problem when I'm at the mechanic's where he can test the electricity to the pump.
  6. Spice Weasel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 SM610
    when i was having trouble with my bike i connected it to ibeat & sat watching while it idled, turned out to be an intermittent temp sensor fault that i wouldnt have caught without ibeat.
  7. Cyprus Husky Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    GS, Africa Twin, XRL
    Sensor ordered and should arrive in 10 days. Stay tuned! Thanks!
  8. Cyprus Husky Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    GS, Africa Twin, XRL
    Still waiting for the sensor but today it happened again and I noticed a whistling noise coming from the bike. I opened the gas tank and it made a hissing noise. Then I noticed that the gasoline was boiling. The fan is working so I don't know what's causing this. Any ideas?
  9. Robert L Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE-630
    Other Motorcycles:
    No
    Did you find out the problem with the TE-630 that won`t start when it`s hot and when it`s hot weather ? I have also this problem
  10. Ungarisch Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 SM510R, 2007 SM610, 2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2010 Z1000
    it's the fuel pump, mine had the identical issue. It would usually not start beyond 70*F, below that (such as early mornings) it would start fine but would not restart afterwards. Relay would click but the pump would be stuck and would not spin up.

replaced it with a $65 Quantum pump kit and it's never been an issue since.
    Robert L and willie like this.
  11. willie Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
    Any info on pump kit?
  12. Ungarisch Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 SM510R, 2007 SM610, 2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2010 Z1000
    see link below. I suggested the $89 kit since it include the pressure regulator and it's a good idea to change those while your in there. Mine only had 800 miles when the pump failed so i just replaced the pump, but for an extra 25 bux I probably should have replaced the regulator as well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/160807967682
    DYNOBOB, Robert L and willie like this.
  13. Spice Weasel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 SM610
    Well my pump became faulty, ive just replaced it with this - https://www.ebay.co.uk/fuelpump £20, came with the short hose for the filter output, 2 filter bags & 2 hose clamps, we will find out how long it lasts
  14. Spice Weasel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 SM610
    I cut the failed pump open to see why it failed, just looks like wear.
    IMG_1209.JPG IMG_1210.JPG IMG_1211.JPG IMG_20210430_132618.jpg