Te 630 steering lock engaged while I was riding!

Discussion in '610/630' started by Scott Eldredge, Oct 15, 2020.

1. Scott Eldredge Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 Te 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW F850 GSA. Gas Gas Txt 300
    But I'm still here to ask about it. I was driving in a parking lot and had just started to swing into a spot when my handles bars hit a hard stop just left of center, and I fell down. Key was still in the run position, and I could not get it to move into the lock position. The unit where you insert the key was not loose. I was able to get home with one very wide left turn and the rest right turns.

Is there a Steering Lock Mod I need to know about?
  2. kirbybikes Husqvarna
    AA Class

No steering lock mod I have heard of. But I did change the handle bar mounts on my bike and one of the bolts from the mount would hit the lock stop. I had to take it apart and grind one of the bolts shorter to clear. Might be something like this if the previous owner has done anything to the bar mounts. If the lock had engaged I would suspect you would get no steering at all.
  3. Scott Eldredge Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 Te 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes, it was only block in one direction. I did think it odd that a steering lock could do that. Bars are changed with risers. I'll look into that. Thanks.
  4. Scott Eldredge Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 Te 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Got to look in there this morning, and I found a bolt lodged in just so. I remember hearing a metallic sound just as it locked up. Can't find where this bolt might have come from. Perhaps kicked up by front tire.

Attached Files:

5. kirbybikes Husqvarna
    AA Class

Aircraft call that FOD : Foreign Object Debris. Glad it happened at very low speed and not on the highway or something.
  6. Scott Eldredge Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 Te 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    I don't think it could have happened at speed. I looked at the angle the tire was at and the trajectory the bolt would have to have taken. Bolt had to lodge between knobs of tire and be dislodged and tossed gently up at a precise speed, angle etc. Could only happen with the right tire. Amazing. Started as a WTF and ends up an FOD.
  7. Scott Eldredge Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 Te 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Not what I thought. When I was removing the headlight to install a fairing, I found the 14mm socket that went with the bolt. Gift from the previous owner.
  8. willie Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
    What fairing did you go with?
  9. Scott Eldredge Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 Te 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Lynx S (https://www.britanniacomposites.com/us/lynx-r-dual-sport-fairing-husqvarna-te-610-and-te-630/). My previous bike was a KLR650 with a Madstad windshield, which was my first bike with a shield. I really liked it, especially the adjustability that allowed for complete protection or wind depending on the temperature. The Lynx is also adjustable, plus it was the only one I found. It's not just a windshield, though, It's a complete fairing and instrument panel and wiring etc. My Lynx is a bit different from the standard one in that my bike has 2-inch bar risers, which they didn't think would work well with the standard Te 630 dash piece that mounts under the the bar clamps, so they provided one that mounts differently (but otherwise looks and works same).
    WoodsChick likes this.
  10. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    We need to see a photo of your bike with the Lynx on it! I love the look of the Lynx, and probably should've invested in one before I did all those trips on my 610 :lol:

Also glad to know I don't have to worry about some weird glitch with my steering lock unexpectedly putting me on the ground someday! :applause:
  11. Scott Eldredge Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 Te 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Should be done in a day or so. Waiting on apart. Will post pictures.

Finding the socket to go with the bolt made me think things could have been a lot worse. Dodged two bullets.
  12. Scott Eldredge Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 Te 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    I just posted pictures of the Lynx in the "Pics of your 630!" thread.
  13. kirbybikes Husqvarna
    AA Class

14. Scott Eldredge Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 Te 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes, that was one of the first things I bought. For local rides the vented one is more convenient. The vent tube keeps the cap from wandering off while I fuel. I'll use the locking one on trips. Speaking of fuel, I've noticed the smell of gas occasionally, which I though was from the vent, but it seems small amount of fuel is seeping from the fuel pump seal. And from I just read, I'm not the first with this issue. I wiped it off before I rode just now, and it's still dry. Will see what the morning brings.
  15. Valheru Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki ER6N
    Reviving sorry, does anyone know what size bolt is needed to mount the ignition barrel to the handle bars? Turns out they aren't very secure and one feel out a while back it seems, never noticed. The other one just fell out today when I was riding to work and now the ignition barrel is just hanging loosely and I have no way to lock the steering when I'm parked.

I checked the manual for specs but I doesn't give specifics.

Thanks in advance
  16. Scott Eldredge Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 Te 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hello. I can't give an exact answer. It's a standard size, but needs to have Allen wrench type head and be the right length. I'm not home now. When I get back, I'll see if I can access it easily. I might not be able to. Best bet might be to check the parts diagram at Hall's Cycle. It's #11 on this page (Digital Instruments) Partsstream | Hall's Cycles | Springfield Illinois(halls-cycles.com)

Doesn't give the specs. But you can order it.
  17. Scott Eldredge Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 Te 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    A metric hex head bolt will work. Won't fit up inside the recess, but will keep things tight. My bike came with one.
  18. willie Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
    8mm x 20mm Allen screw. 25mm if going with bolt. These were known to fall out on new bikes. Loctite when installing.
  19. Valheru Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki ER6N
    Thanks so much guys. Appreciate it.