TE 630 - Source for a 1.6 or 1.8 Bar Radiator Cap

Discussion in '610/630' started by jasonmt, Oct 19, 2014.

1. jasonmt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11' TXC 449, 11' TE 630, 11' TE 449
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ninja 1000, ZX7R, 300 XC-W Christini
    In Phoenix for a bit and my TE 630 with a Safari tank is puking out half a liter of fluid per ride, fan is working and I am staying in a condo so would prefer to avoid any parking lot mechanical work. Hoping someone knows of a 1.6 - 1.8 Bar cap that will interchange from another manufacturer that I can use as a band aid fix to get me through the next 8-9 days? I know the cap off of my riding buddies KTM 530 does not work.
  2. Theo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM 610 I.E.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 YZ250
    I don't know any suitable cap from other bikes, sorry.
    Anyway, I'm afraid that it wouldn't be a good solution, because the engine was built to work with the coolant at a certain pressure, which is, for the 610, 1.1 bar; I don't know the one of the 630.
    I think that a much higher pressure could increase the possibility of gaskets failure, for instance the ones in the water pump area. The radiator hoses could also fail. I remember that, on another forum, I read about a guy who installed an high pressure radiator cap on an Husky 570 and, when the engine became hot, the hoses broke and the hot coolant scalded one of his legs. Then he added silicone hoses with anti-cut clamps and
    his bike worked fine. I noticed that some KTMs (probably like your buddy's 530) don't have silicone hoses but they have 1.8 bar caps and they work fine, too. I don't know what could happen with a 630, probably nothing, but I suggest that you don't increase the pressure by more than 0.2 bar. I understand that you're not at home and so you probably don't have much choice about the cap, but if something fails, you'll be in a bigger hurry and you'll have to fix it in a parking lot.
  3. maxyb Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630, classica 105
    Other Motorcycles:
    CB350, CD90z
    I probably wouldn't recommend running a higher pressure cap either, if you could get one that is.

Husqvarna has designed the system to run at 1.4 BAR, any higher you have the chance of: -rupturing hoses, -leaking at the joints or -rupturing a radiator. All of which will cause a pricey repair.

When you say it is puking out half a litre, are you filling the radiator back up when it's cold (also, is it exactly half a litre? the cooling system is only 1.2L...)?

And do you notice if it is boiling? (usually you can hear it)