TE 610 Good First Bike???

Discussion in '610/630' started by jdmdavey, Jul 31, 2009.

1. jdmdavey Husqvarna
    B Class

Hey Everybody,
    I'm new around here and to the sport of motorcycles.
    I came from an automotive backround but since moving to Rural
    Chelan,Washington I've found my love of cars slipping away
    and have noticed all the endless trails and hills around me calling
    to be ridden. A few guys from work ride dual sports and they took me
    out on a ride for my birthday last year. Ever since I have been completely
    hooked. I think about riding all the time and even ask the guys at work
    to let me take their bikes out for a spin (07 WR250R and 99 XR650L)
    at least 3 times a week. I buy every bike magazine I can get my
    hands on and spend tons of time reading online articles. I've since
    sold all of my automotive stuff, including my car, and am looking
    for a great Dual Sport. I want something new, with EFI. I've done
    a TON of research and I believe that the Husqvarna TE 610 far and
    beyond the best true "Dual Purpose" moto available. Now, I will be
    riding about 60/40 Dirt to Pavement. Would this be a good bike for
    me to start out on as first? I am 6'3" about 205 lbs. Would it be
    something I can grow into over time? I am a quick learner and take
    to things really well. when joyriding the friends WR250R for the first
    time, he had me jumping off of a small mound in our gravel pit
    launching 15ft length wise going 30mph in 15 minutes!
    He was suprised how quick I took to it. I plan on going on as many
    dual sport and over night camping rides as I can.
    Your input is appreciated.
    thanks!

-Dave

I posed this same thread in Thumpertalk also, just to get a second opinion! :)
  2. BikeSDP Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None @ moment
    Other Motorcycles:
    990 Adv, Multistrada 1200, 500 EXC
    The 610 was my first dirt bike that I didn't have to pedal. I had about 10 years riding street bikes, starting from 600-class going up to liter bikes. I'm about your size, OK, a few lbs more, and maybe not quite so tall (and pushing 40). The power is easily manageable. As far as street riding, it's basically a bike with about 50 HP, so I wouldn't be too concerned about getting in over your head there. Now, on the trail, the 610 can be a bit of a handful on more technical terrain and rocks. Of course, keep in mind that I've only got about a year of riding dirt.

There are a few quirks and a few must-do fixes that are pretty well documented, but I think for what you want to do, the 610 is a good choice.

Your friend with the WR250 is either very trusting or is scheming to get you to pay off his bike? He encouraged you to get air on his bike?
  3. rajobigguy Administrator

You're right about the 610 being the the best true dual sport bike on the planet. The 610 does great as commuter or even a mid distance adventure touring bike. Off road it's more capable than you would think and for you're size and weight it shouldn't be to much to handle. There really isn't much that it won't do but remember that it is a 300 lb. machine so depending on the type of trails that going to ride it might be a bit of a work out. The bike has a long stable frame that make it great for high speed but it doesn't carve through the woods like a surgeons scalpel. The engine and trans. combo is pure magic, big broad power band and the widest gear spacing around mean that you will always have the right gear for any terrain or hwy condition. The engine itself is simply incredible and can be lugged around all day without complaining, it is very docile until you wind it up to about 5000 rpm and then it unleashes a vicious animal so if the terrain that you will ride most has lots of open areas where you can let the bike stretch it's legs it will shine for you, as a matter of fact it can hang with the big dogs on the open trails.
    So far as being a first bike, it just depends on what you're shooting for. If you just want to be a good trail rider then it's forgiving nature will do that without getting you in to trouble but if you're looking to be a competitive rider then a smaller lighter bike will hone those skills faster.
    Overall it sound like exactly the bike that you're looking for.:cheers:
  4. jdmdavey Husqvarna
    B Class

Thanks guys! Love the comments.. And yes I'm looking to become a trail rider and explore this new area that I call home. I am not looking to get into any competitive riding what so ever. And yes BikeSDP he encouraged me to jump it, hahah. I did really well though. I was having a blast! One time though I just about endo'd over the front bars, but I saved it some how...got lucky I guess. I am sold on the TE 610 and am excited to get it. My closest dealer is KDR Powersports in Spokane,WA. They have ONE 09 TE 610 I think I'm going to purchase in the next few weeks!! My parents and some family live over in Spokane(only 2 1/2 hours from where I live now) so it is logical for me to buy there since the wife and I visit often. Thanks again guys, hopefully I will post some pictures of the new bike in coming weeks!!!
  5. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    There were not many brought into the usa this year, I would not wait a few weeks if you are sure you want it.
  6. I'll run the risk of being the cafe killjoy....

I'd get an '06 or earlier version with a carb rather than gambling on a newer FI model which could suffer from surging and stalling. Getting it fixed will cost you either in time, money or patience.

If you're dead set on red and white, TEST RIDE THE BIKE.
  7. jdmdavey Husqvarna
    B Class

have many people had issues with the EFI? they have been out for atleast 2 or 3 years now.. I havent read much about that. clue me in..
  8. Up-tite Husqvarna
    Pro Class

There are no problems with the EFI just a learning curve which has long past. Once the bikes have easy breakin miles then powered up and EFI adjusted it's a done deal. No problems worth mentioning most if not all are owner induced. Later George
  9. LRPct Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks George for bringing sanity back with your comments on the FI.. :)
  10. jerbear610 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    14' WR300, 11' TE511, 06'TE610 sold
    Other Motorcycles:
    11' Husaberg FE570, 15' Beta 300RR
    I replied to your post on TT, as "JoePass" (screen name is in reference to the late and
    IMO, the greatest Jazz guitarist ever to walk the earth). I think "Big guy" nailed it for the
    most part. If you're going to use it for camping trips and exploring dirt roads there is nothing out there better suited for your needs. As I said previously it'll go anywhere you
    want to take it but when you get into tight woods trails where you're traversing up and
    down steep mountain sides with 90 degree switchbacks you have to really take it slow
    and careful. If you plan on riding single-track I would lower the gearing a bit as it's too
    tall stock for serious trail riding. All in all it is great for just about every scenario that a
    dualsport should encounter and if there is such thing as "one bike that does everything
    well" the 610 is that bike. Jerry
  11. Hi-jack in progress...

Joe Pass - impressive taste :thumbsup: . I saw him several times during the Dick Gibson Jazz Parties in the 90s. Great guitarist. Lotta jazz giants are gone now....tough to see them pass.

I imagine Coffee is on the verge of rupturing a vein about now with this hijack so, yeah, the 610 is a well-rounded bike :D.
  12. TheDutchman Husqvarna
    C Class

I literally just bought an 09 610 as my first bike on Saturday (thanks MotoXotica!)!

I was basically on the same boat as you, had been in to cars for some time but always wanted a bike in the back of my mind. Through my research and hours of mindless clicking of forums, I too was sent in the direction of the 610!

Let me just say that I am in love with the bike! Took it on a 100 mile ride yesterday through canyons, fire roads, dried up creek beds, etc. and must've had an ear-to-ear grin the entire time.

Another funny thing is that I am just about the same size as you. 6'4'' 210lbs This bike fits me like a glove! haha

Go get one! :)
  13. jdmdavey Husqvarna
    B Class

sweet im sold! I cant wait to go get one. Probably weekend after next. did your 09 come with black wheels? and did they fix the adjustability with the front forks?
  14. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
  15. jerbear610 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Right on Dutchman, Dan and Ann will definitely treat you right and they know
    their stuff. Isn't Watsonville down by Laguna Seca? Probably not too far from
    Hollister Hills as well. Just be carefull with that brand new bike. I'd do dirt roads and the like until you get comfortable on it. You'll have a blast and I'm sure there's no shortage
    of off-road terrain for you to explore in that neck of the woods. Santa Cruz Mountains are
    near by, I believe. Have fun................. Jerry
  16. tqmdave Husqvarna
    C Class

WR250R to a TE610

I started with a TE350, but was tired of kicking it in the heat...went to a bike that had a red button (my 2004 crf250x which i still have & love). I needed a bike that my kid (15 1/2 at the time) & I could dual sport so we bought (2) 2008 WR250R's (I wanted the F/I)when they first came out which we loved--these are awsome bikes for the 250 -400 non-race class (we did not want a race bike.) I did all the modes & it was great on the trails, but did not feel safe on the open road...OK, I'm 5'10", 47 yrs old, over weight & outer shape so the WR250R was a bit of a stretch for me on the street. My kid now owns my WR250R and I bought a used 2008 TE610 two months ago that had 600 miles on it. I put 1,000 miles on the bike and I am just starting to learn how to let it slide through corners -- it's a different animal, but I LOVE it. Going up hill it rips, but down hill takes a little more technique (again, I'm riding with my 16 year old kid & I'm an over the hill desk jockey.) George took care of the improvements and the poor set-up from Malcolm Smiths. The bike was my only choice -- it's a great bike!
  17. TheDutchman Husqvarna
    C Class

Hehe yeah they're nice people! And their dogs are cool too!
    It's North of Laguna Seca but yes, it's pretty close. Hollister Hills are also about a 20-30 minutes drive from my house :D

I've been cruising on dirt roads everyday since I got it, I'm taking it nice and slow until I feel VERY comfortable though haha! Santa Cruz mountains are about 15 minutes away and there is soooooo much to explore out there!

I appreciate the welcome! :cheers:

To answer the OP's question. It came with silver rims, they look nice and shiny! The dealership already had the bike setup for someone my weight so I haven't really adjusted anything like that thus far.

Nik
  18. jerbear610 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    NothingClever, I'm envious as I never did get to see Joe Pass live.
    I do have an extensive collection of his music on records and cd's.
    There's no one who could captivate an audience alone on a stage
    like Joe Pass. The pioneer of jazz improv guitar, imo. Jerry

Sorry Coffee for the O.T. banter....