1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

TE 511 Brake/Clutch Lever Angle

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Cosmokenney, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Cosmokenney Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '17 TX300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ-09
    Man do I want to get my levers pointed down! After twenty plus years of mountain biking, I cannot get used to having them horizontal. I started out on BMX bikes with the lever vertical. Then on mountain bikes I settled in with them at about 45 degrees down -- maybe even more. Standing most of the time while riding just makes matters worse.

I also would really like to get some short levers. I've seen other posts on this site talking about ARC levers, but I can't tell if they're shorter or not. I mostly use one finger on either lever (two in an emergency stop situation). Longer levers tend to hit the knuckles of my pinky and ring fingers.

So as to getting the levers pointed down, I can't because the hydraulic lines bind against the bar. Is there a way to slightly loosen the clutch line and rotate the 90 degree fitting a little? If I did that, would I introduce air into the line? Not sure what to do with the brake line, its straight out from the reservoir. Should I be looking at different bar bends?

Suggestions?
  2. New511Guy Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE511
    I hope someone who knows replies. I come from the same background (bikes) and have the same issue.
  3. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    The Zipty racing team uses Arc levers and so do I. They are a little shorter, but they just work and don't break. Pull weight is decreased, so the clutch will feel lighter. You can rotate your brake and clutch down, I do. Just don't pop your reservoir caps until in the horizontal position and you will be fine. Ty recommends the composite levers, but I use the aluminum ones with Cycra guards, they are a little thinner and precise.

[IMG][IMG]
    [IMG]
    Cosmokenney likes this.
  4. Cosmokenney Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '17 TX300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ-09
    Tinken, do you use the stock handlebars?
  5. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    No, I use 116mm Flexx bars that are tall to help me with my height. Flexx bars reduce vibration and fatigue over long rides. They are a must if you have previous shoulder, elbow or wrist injuries. Ty and I mainly use them because we love the comfort.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  6. Cosmokenney Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '17 TX300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ-09

Oh. Isn't it weird feeling them flex while you ride?
  7. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    It's weird that I don't feel washboard bumps or small rocks anymore, otherwise, I never notice them there.
  8. reveille Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XC W
    What type of handguard set up works with the flexx bars? Me being tall i already have tall lower bar clamps with the HDB guards but I don't see how these would work with them.
  9. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    They will, you have to add BRP billet arms and the guards will swing on the same pivot.

[IMG]
  10. New511Guy Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE511
    I took off the brake lever (2 8mm nuts) then I hacksawed off the tab on the reservoir that stopped the upward rotation of the brake line. I loosened the hydraulic just enough to allow it to rotate up then immediately tightened it. No fluid loss or air in line. I was then, after reinstallation, able to rotate the brake lever down... some. Still not as far as I'd like, but better.
  11. Aaron8 Husqvarna
    AA Class

12. Cosmokenney Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '17 TX300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ-09

Reveille, what bar clamps do you have? I'm 6'1" tall, so I put some home depot 22 mm nylon spacers under my stock bar clamps. I also spent the $s on the low, set back foot pegs from Touratech. They got me closer to where I want to be, but I don't like the flexy feel I'm getting from the bars.

I really don't think I want to go higher. I'd rather have my bars farther forward.

It's sort of seems that BMP might have something, but I cannot decipher their site.
  13. Cosmokenney Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '17 TX300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ-09

Yea, I came across those too. I'm about to place an order. I like the idea of them being both short and lighter pull. I almost went with the ARC levers. But the shorties got me.

Still gotta figure out how to get my levers down to where I want them. Like I said in my initial post, the hydraulic lines are binding against the handlebars. Maybe with the shorties, I can move the controls farther out (toward the grips) to create some clearance.
  14. Cosmokenney Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '17 TX300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ-09

Oh, just saw this after I posted #13. That's exactly the info I was looking for.
  15. Aaron8 Husqvarna
    AA Class

If you get the MME levers, do let us know how you like them. I almost got a replacement one for my broken OEM clutch lever, but I balked when I priced both brake and clutch levers together (can't have different clutch and brake levers, right?). I'd really like to know if it makes 1-finger clutching any easier. Thanks.
  16. Cosmokenney Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '17 TX300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ-09

Order placed for Clutch lever. The brake levers are out of stock until about two weeks from now. The reviews I read make it sound like the pull is a bit easier on the clutch and that one fingering is quite possible.
    Aaron8 likes this.
  17. N4544D Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE449 sold, 2018 TX 300 sold
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 250 XCW, KTM 500 XCF-W
    ordered a MME clutch lever as well, will report back.
    Aaron8 likes this.
  18. danny318 ___________

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    TTR230, '72 CT90
    Is it this one that is the right lever for our bikes?
    Brembo Clutch Lever - Not for 350 F.

Any idea how much shorter it is than the stock lever?
  19. N4544D Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE449 sold, 2018 TX 300 sold
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 250 XCW, KTM 500 XCF-W
    That's the one I ordered; I haven't received it yet, but can take some measurements. I'd guess 1.5 inches shorter based on looking at my friend's bike. My biggest complaint is the length and trapping my pinky and ring finger...pull force is not really an issue on our bikes.
  20. danny318 ___________

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    TTR230, '72 CT90
    Cool cool, let us know how you like it