1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

TE-510 leaking intake boot

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by linkandcuff, Jan 18, 2012.

1. linkandcuff Husqvarna
    A Class

I have a 2006 TE-510.

I was putting my studded tires on and decided to start it up and let it warm up to make sure its ready for tomorrow. While idling with the choke on i was checking things out and noticed that if i touched the carb it would idle up like a intake vacuum leak and i noticed if i pushed the carb towards the intake boot the idle would lower. So the boot isnt sealing properly on the cylinder head. Its like the carb is too far away from it and is pulling on it. The intake boot is less then one year old and in great shape. I feel like there should be metal in the boot to help it seat better. I'll look more into it later but has anyone else noticed this problem??
  2. pjbiker Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE-510
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 KTM300mxc, 2003 KLX400sr
    I had the same problem. I had to replace the Union 8000 A578 that goes between the Carb and the Cylinder. The Rubber Delaminates from the Aluminum and causes an air leak. Take the Union off and start pulling on it and you will see the rubber pulling away. This is a common problem. The Union needs to be replaced every 3-5 years based on how much you ride.
  3. duggoey Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 690, Yamaha WR200, FGS650(800cc)
    My boot split on the transition where it meets the head. I guess it is the fatigue caused by the throttle body/carb bouncing around unsupported.

I was able to see a clear crack form along the top of the mouth of the join, I just glued it closed.

Not sure if mine was even letting any air in but if the bike had a carb im sure that this crack would minimise airflow (past the carb) where it is needed to pull the fuel through.

Maybe have a closer look and make sure the boot is sealing.
  4. duggoey Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    Does the bike do the same thing without the choke on? If not then it may be a loose rod on the choke lever?
  5. linkandcuff Husqvarna
    A Class

yea it does it on idle as well. I can easly apply pressue to pull the carb away from the engine to make the leak worse. I have some zip ties to pull the carb closer to the engine to apply pressure to the intake boot to prevent a leak. I think i'm going to losen the engine mount bolts and see if i can move the engine towards the carb to help it and also check the air filter box and see if i can move it closer to the carb.
  6. TRIPLE-M Husqvarna
    AA Class

Mine had surface crack lines all over, not deep crack but it was giving me bike starting and water riding problems. I cut a section off a bicycle inner tire tube and used it to wrab around the manifold. That stop the leak for a few rides untill the inner tube broke. I will replace the manifold with a new one but the inner tube idea could work well if you can make it last.
    GrooveThang likes this.
  7. duggoey Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    My local Husqvarna dealer wanted(wants) $140 AUD for that boot! Expecting it to cost $10-$20 I told them to shove it somewhere, somewhere very bad :censored:.

Think of a scenario where the leak you have was theoretically in the same place as mine -If you pull the carb away from the motor (presumably making the hole bigger) you would expect more air to "bypass" the carb making the bike run leaner, so hypothetically you would expect the bike to rev slightly fatser being in a lean condition.

It really does sound like you have a crack or a poor seal in that head boot - Maybe remove it completely and examine it.

Triple-M: Dont know what you would do once it completely snapped.. But good quailty super glue has withstood a few thousand kilometres for me :)
  8. linkandcuff Husqvarna
    A Class

The boot is only one year old and in brand new condition when i took it off to see what might ber the problem.
  9. TRIPLE-M Husqvarna
    AA Class

My new intake manifold lasted less then 3 mths, when I found a 1cm opening. Just got a 2nd new one that I hope will last. Just sharing my experience.
    Btw, suggestion on sealing a manifold opening anyone?
  10. linkandcuff Husqvarna
    A Class

I think if this is a commom problem than the intake boot should have a metal ring coated in the rubber where it bolts to the cylinder head to make sure its a good seal.
    Hopefully i'll have time late this week to see if i can shift the motor or air box to make the two closer together which would fix the problem
  11. Runner Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE510
    I've got a 2006 TE510 and never noticed this. Can somebody post a snap?
  12. linkandcuff Husqvarna
    A Class

"post a snap" means take a picture right?
    I'll take some pics tonight if i get the chance
  13. Runner Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE510
    Yes, thank you.
  14. 7point62 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2004 TE450
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 Kawasaki TR250
    Timely thread... I just got a misfire and found that the intake boot was sucking wind. It's been on the bike just over a year because the previous one failed too. This one isn't just split, it's completely rotten. Aaaaaaarrrrrghhhh! :lol:

You gotta laugh, but why did it have to happen just before the weekend?!!
  15. duggoey Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    Glue
  16. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 450 - last of the ITA motors
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    2010 TE 450, manufactured in Sep 2009, 1 year of real service, 6500 miles, mine died on a ride on Jan 27, I taped it shut and rode home. I applied hi-temp silicone on the 2 surfaces shown, the 2 surfaces do not touch the air stream of the intake, and pressed it back together, put 2 C-clamps on it for 6 hours, installed it, let it sit overnight. I rode it again the next day, no problems. I've ordered a new one for $70USD, but I may put that one in my kitbox, and leave this repaired one on the bike.

If yours is undamaged where the intake air flows through the rubber tunnel, I would repair it with hi-temp silicone.

If yours has any damage/rot to the actual tunnel that the air stream touches, I'd replace it.

[IMG]
  17. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    I wasn't gonna post this pic, but what the hell, I've got so much other stuff on my Husky kludged up, this fits right in.

I wanted to assure that if the boot separated from the metal flange again, that at least it would all stay in place and not go walking around, opening up huge openings to the intake, so I tied the throttle body to the head, snug but not too tight, it DOES reduce the amount of bouncing around that the throttle body does, from the vibes of the engine, and I am seriously considering leaving this tie-job on the bike, after having read so many others tales of woe on their boots.

[IMG]
  18. 7point62 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2004 TE450
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 Kawasaki TR250
    Not a hope. It isn't just split, it's crazed. Probably been sitting on a shelf in Italy since 2003.
  19. Runner Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE510
    Thanks for the photos, OHR. Now I know what to look for.
  20. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    Something like this eh 7point?

[IMG]