1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

TE 510 88 Rebuilt

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by rcastro, Mar 5, 2019.

1. rcastro Husqvarna
    AA Class

Yes! I finally found it! It´s very rare here in Brasil. I do not have notice of any other. This one came from the North, the Amazon area. It was arrested by local Customs Authorities and kept for years (don´t know how many) without any protection. She finally went for auction and a guy in Manaus bought it. She was placed for sale at the sidewalk in front of his house so a friend passing by took some pictures and mailed to me. 30 days later (including 8 days sailing thru the Amazon river) and $800 later she arrived here at the sunny northeast brazilian coast.
    Spent quite some time searching for parts catalogue, owner´s manual, etc. Understand that i have the necessary literature to start with.
    As you see, she was converted into a Super Motard !!! With nice Excell rims and a single Leo Vince exhaust system...
    Will sure ask for you guys tips, directions, etc and will keep you posted on pictures as soon as i proceed with a full restoration. IMG_2130.JPG IMG_2130.JPG IMG_2136.JPG
  2. rcastro Husqvarna
    AA Class

I completed full disassembling and im amazed with the shape of things and the quality of the material. Front and rear wheel bearing are the same size/type. Nowadays you have 2 or 3 different types of bearings.
    If i have this type of air box why is it fitted with the round air filter type?
    So the search for parts starts. Exhaust pipe and mufflers and plastics mainly otherwise i can deal here.
    Is the rear fender the same as for the WR model?
  3. rcastro Husqvarna
    AA Class

More pictures.

Attached Files:

4. 86 400 XC Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    75,82,83,2x84,85,3x86,87,88 and 89
    Other Motorcycles:
    more Huskys
    Congrats on the project rcastro.
    You will not need the round air filter, you have the better set up and it takes the same filter as the 85 to 88 2 stroke bikes.
    I like the exhaust set up kinda, maybe it points up too much for me. Would like to hear how it sounds some day.
    Good luck on the bike and if you are facebook. There is many great groups and guys there to help out too.
    I have 1 group for just 87 to 90 510s
  5. ajcmbrown Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    400WR 250WR 07 WR500 430AE 360AE
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 500CR Ducati Multistrada 1200S
    That will be loads of fun when you finish it, are you going to leave it Supermotard or change it back to dirt wheels and tyres?
    Tony.
  6. rcastro Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hi Tony, will change it back to dirty wheels. I dont have the original rims but have a pair of old style DID from an 88 YZ250. Will unlace and lace by the end of this week. it takes a bit of a time as i do everything myself. Only sand blasting, painting and plating i send outside. Already spend quite a few hours cleaning parts. RCastro
    Eurofreak and ajcmbrown like this.
  7. rcastro Husqvarna
    AA Class

That´s what is thought. Will look for the clamp/basket/filter for the 85 to 88 2 strokes them. Thanks for the info! If i dont find the original exhaust by the time i finish assembling i will put this back as im also curious about the sound as well. yes it points up too much.I am at facebook and will search for the 510´s groups! Brgds
  8. rcastro Husqvarna
    AA Class

Im amazed with the small size of the water pump impeller!!!
    Found some side play on the rocker arms. Is that normal?
    Valve gap were much bigger then the 0.10/0.15 mm indicated at the manual. Shall i leave it like that or follow the manual?
  9. Krudd Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    89A 510TE, 89B 510TE
    Other Motorcycles:
    '81 Yamaha XT500
    Hi Rodolfo, I saw on FB you were looking for a wiring diagram. I never post there so I'll add it here.
    On my 1989 510TE basket case the wiring looks very much like below.
    Actually it hasn't changed much compared to the wiring on my 1981 240WR. Hope this helps!

Elschema 250-wr-1987 1988.jpg
    ajcmbrown likes this.
  10. rcastro Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thank you again! The idea is to install an electric start on it as im getting old an also not familiar with left side kicking. We have already installed e-start on several TE 400/410/570 and its working fine. The main issue here will be where to install the battery as the bike has 2 exhausts. Anyhow, we will find a solution and keep you posted.
  11. DeathFromAbove My Cat Says AREAR!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    70,71 360 8s 72,74 450 73 360 73 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    66 Triumph Trophy 99 ZRX1100
    I would love to see some pics of that installation!:thumbsup: Lots of pics!:cheers: