1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

TE 449 oil change interval

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by kevinsterner, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    The account you are referencing is a spammer.
    Joined using a confirmed proxy server in California, then a short time later confirmed the confirmation email from Islamabad Pakistan
    EDIT: The reason I looked into it, was because that account made 5 random posts to 5 different 4st threads advertising an Australian car rental company...

If anyone has any input for Q&A people will see when joining, go here
    http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/questions-and-answers-when-people-join-cafe-husky-input.33619/
  2. McKay Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE350S, 2016 TE300
    But he left before explaining modifying the narrow!
  3. Radar Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE449

Relax Tinken, it will be OK. The engine in my bike is just loafing along. My wife's Honda CRV goes 10,000 miles between oil changes. And my truck goes 7,500. At 1000 miles the oil in my bike is not even dirty yet.
    Centerline and McKay like this.
  4. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    So.. Can we burn him on the stake? *gathers marsh mellows*
    oregonsage likes this.
  5. henson802 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I wouldn't change automobile oil any more longer then 3,000-5,000 miles, any more and you're pushing it!

As for motorcycles, it obviously depends on type of use and engine. But I do believe type of oil (Viscosity and Synthetic) is just as important as frequency of oil changes.
  6. danny318 ___________

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    TTR230, '72 CT90
    henson802 likes this.
  7. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    We'll see when I split your cases :D
    *Calls Dale, "hey we need a new TL, clutch, piston/rings, ..." Just kidding :P
    henson802 and Radar like this.
  8. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R

My wifes former Mercedes V-8 had one of those service countdown things and typically went 8-10k between changes...however I usually did it sooner.....and it held 8 quarts of 0-40 Mobil 1.

I know synthetic change recommendations from car mfgs are now typically in the 7.5k range....but I still get twitchy past about 5k.

Where the bikes holds so little I find it cheap insurance to change on 5 hour or less intervals (2 races basically)
  9. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    cars don't have wet clutches to contaminate the oil.
    Coffee and oregonsage like this.
  10. McKay Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE350S, 2016 TE300
    Would you know how to interpret them? The company sure wont.
    Not being a smart ass here but if Husky does not provide metallurgical data to the facility (they wont) these tests are not better than arbitrarily picking a service time to change your oil. They will be able to tell you if your oil is dirty is best they can do without data.
  11. streetlethal100 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TCX 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha XV1700 Warrior
    Ok guys, I have had four wheelers, and dirt bikes, and street bike.... The numbers you are throwin out seem absolutely crazy to me. Please tell me why a one cylinder engine needs the oil changed every two rides or 10 hours? My street bike revs at 12k RPMS and hits 160mph, its high compression and I still change the oil maybe once a summer.
  12. streetlethal100 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TCX 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha XV1700 Warrior
    Most street bike have wet clutches.

As long as you are not blowing smoke, the oil shouldn't get contaminated that easily. The engine doesn't get much hotter then any normal motorcycle so I cant see that being a cause. I mean its liquid cooled as well. So tell me what causes the oil to need changing?
  13. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Oil is everything in these bikes and they run a lot hotter than most others.
  14. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    I love oil threads! My work vehicle has gone as long as 10k++. I have to tell the computer that it had fresh oil two to three times so it would leave me alone. I run the extended performance mobil 1. I'm a little more careful with my bikes. Oil is way cheaper than a motor rebuild.
  15. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R

First, it is cheap insurance since our bikes hold barely more than 1 quart of oil. Rebuilds are expensive, oil is cheap.
    Second, we are talking about bikes tuned for racing conditions...I bet road racers change their oil every race tool.
    Third, we like to work on our bikes and looking at the oil gives us clues to how well the engine internals and the oil are holding up.
    Fourth, dusty off-road conditions present more opportunity for contamination than normal street riding.
    Fifth, the oil condition actually does indicate that longer intervals would be OK, however #1.
    Huskynoobee likes this.
  16. Moespeeds Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TC 449
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha Super Tenere
    Just curious, you guys using mobil one 0-40, you're using automotive oil, or is there a motorcycle version i don't know about?
  17. Teambowles Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    19 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    19 ktm 6 days excf 450 n excf 500
    Auto oil
    Trenchcoat85 likes this.
  18. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    ...and it's the euro car stuff you want- not Toyotas, Hondas etc.
    Teambowles likes this.
  19. River-Runner Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE511, 2012 TE310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 KTM690 Enduro
    I put the Breather Mod on my MY 12 511 Tinken designed. This is a great mod, no longer do I get oil gushing out of the breather box because blowby overwhelms the stock system.

I also run 1,500 CC's of oil versus the 900 CC's Husky says to use without Tinken's Mod.

1.5 liter is better than 0.9 liter of oil. This is just an easy and inexpensive way to increase the life of your TE450/511.

I ALWAYS do a second look at every Tinken post. This guy knows our bikes and has been good about sharing his knowledge.

He also put together an oil return Mod for the MY12 TE310 I installed on my wife's bike. No longer have to mess with the oil return hose plumbed into the oil drain bolt on oil changes. I also run 1,100 CC's of oil versus the 900 Husky spec'ed for the 310 motor. More oil in this motor is much-o better! Tinken's mod is a simple, inexpensive way to solve a factory design problem.

I use Mobile One 0-40 "European Car Formula" oil and change every 300 to 600 miles. This oil is usually $22 to $24 bucks for a 5 QT jug at Walmart.
  20. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    Hey RR, I'll try to pass your compliments to Tinken. He's still trying to come up with new lubricant products and stops by the shop occasionally. The 449 doesn't push oil as hard as the 511 so I routinely run 1300cc.
    Trenchcoat85 likes this.