1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

te 449 not starting

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Peter H, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Peter H Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 te 449
    HI, my name is Peter H, I have a 2012 te449 since new i had problems with it starting. It would start fine most times but then would stop cranking the motor. I thought that the battery was just a dud, I replaced the battery with a higher crank power. this seemed ok for a day or two but then it did it again it would start turning the motor then would die as if battery fail, hit the start again and would crank over? thought starter motor, removed it and cleand it up and tested seems ok put it back and problem continues. has any one had the same problem as I need some advice where to look next thank you.
  2. teuchter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC449 2011
    Other Motorcycles:
    ZX6R track bike
    Same issue on my bike. Easily resolved by cracking open the throttle just a touch to open the butterfly and introduce air. Too much throttle and it won't start.

Ps, you're probably thinking I'm crazy. Cracking the throttle seems to decompress the engine enough to allow the teeny starter to crank the engine over. At least that's what it feels like.
    shrubitup and Shovelhead85 like this.
  3. Peter H Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 te 449
    ok tried it and seems to start all the time , thanks for your advice. cheers
    ray_ray likes this.
  4. teuchter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC449 2011
    Other Motorcycles:
    ZX6R track bike
    My bike starts fine when cold but have to crack the throttle when hot. These bikes are known to have hot starting issues. The TC version has some kind of hot start provision since the compression is a bit higher.
  5. Shovelhead85 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR400R, '75 DT400B, FLH Shovel, CT90
    I will admit thinking you might be crazy... ....but I can not argue with success (well- I can, but I won't win). Good call.

Actually, going over (in my mind) my hot starting procedure, I do something similar: if the starter stalls, I give it a lot of throttle and re-hit the button- and roll off the throttle while it's turning over. It usually starts up with the throttle just above idle. Which is a harder way of doing your "cracking the throttle" from the get-go.

Thanks. I'm gonna hafta think about this a bit.
  6. teuchter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC449 2011
    Other Motorcycles:
    ZX6R track bike
    On reflection, here's what I think is happening:

1) The stock battery/ starter are marginally sized for cranking the compression of this engine, especially when hot. Increasing the size of both = heavier and/or more expensive bike.
    2) Most hot start levers work by opening an air bypass to lean out the air/fuel mixture. When operating the electrical start on these bikes, the primary throttle butterfly is completely closed, relying on the fixed air bypass (brass screw) to set the air fuel mixture. This is too rich for hot starting. Cracking the butterfly just right leans out the mixture and allows the engine to roll over and start.

I recall others have had success with hot starts by changing the air fuel ratio in the idle range on their PCV units.
  7. Peter H Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 te 449
    I have been opening the throttle fully and the engine cranks fine and then roll back the throttle and starts every time thanks for all the advise.
  8. teuchter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC449 2011
    Other Motorcycles:
    ZX6R track bike
    I worked something else out. My problem only started after installing quick turn throttle. My throttle cable tension was off. This probably happens over time as throttle cables stretch too. A little stretching can upset TPS for starting. Adjusted tension on my throttle cables and hot starts better now.