1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc TDC timing tool for my WXC 360, good idea?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Dauer, Nov 25, 2017.

1. Dauer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1992 WXC 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    '89 Yamaha TDR250, '01 ATK 605
    Hoping to get some opinions on the accuracy/reliability of using a simple TDC timing tool such as this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bultaco-Os...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I installed a powerdynamo ignition on my '92 360, the timing procedure is relatively simple: mount stator plate, set piston to correct position (1mm/.040" BTDC in this case), align magneto timing mark with stator timing mark, hold flywheel and torque. I used a very rudimentary method to set the timing consisting of inserting a wooden dowel down plug hole, mark TDC with razor, measure up 1mm from TDC and make another mark.

It got the job done for all intents and purposes, bike starts easily and runs pretty well. Although I'm hesitant to really hammer on it because I'm skeptical of how accurate my timing method was. Inspecting the plug reveals an asymmetrical ignition pattern (uneven light brown only partially coloring plug), an indication of detonation/pinging perhaps? As mentioned the bike seems to run well to me, perhaps my ear is not trained well enough to identify detonation?

I surmise using a dial indicator to set the piston position then somehow holding the piston in place would be the ideal method to set timing. Problem is that there is no room for a dial indicator with the motor in place, at least not any that I have attempted to use. My question is: What tool(s) do you folks recommend I use to reliably set my timing with the motor in frame? Also: Anyone in close proximity to Asheville, NC with experience in this matter who's willing to barter their assistance/knowledge for beer/food/gas money would be more than welcome...ha!
  2. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    that would work...but im not sure how you would zero it? i guess you could just do the math..
  3. Dauer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1992 WXC 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    You make a valid point regarding the lack of capability to "zero" the gauge. I have seen timing gauges that can be zeroed then the correct BTDC measurement can be dialed in and locked in order to hold piston in place. Perhaps I'll hold out for such a tool. Upon further consideration the tool I posted a link to is essentially a glorified wooden dowel.
    justintendo likes this.
  4. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC
    it is tight to fit a gauge in there
    as I recall I used one with a small dial
  5. Dauer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1992 WXC 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes, insufficient clearance for a dial indicator, at least the one I attempted to use. It was a motorcycle specific, genuine Yamaha dial, had some age to it, may have been better suited for air-cooled motors. I'll also keep an eye out for a small dial.
  6. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    this one fit in the chassis of my 93, I used it to check and set piston squish

IMG_8921.JPG
  7. Dauer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1992 WXC 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    Good to know there are dials out there that will fit with the motor in frame. Guess I'll have to take some measurements and cross reference my findings to various dial dimensions. Thanks for the pic.
  8. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    it is snug but it fits

IMG_8912.JPG