Tanks Shroud spinning nuts...help

Discussion in '610/630' started by MonoShocker, Jul 29, 2013.

1. MonoShocker Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Cagiva Gran Canyon
    After lurking here since coffee started the place i finally signed up...bought time huh?:D

Anyway over the weekend I spun the back two tank shroud nuts on the left side, I've read about the same issue here with the airbox and putting it in the freezer but there is no way I can get my fuel tank in the freezer so are there any other ideas to get the bolts out? I've tried putting some extraction force on them while turning them, tried hitting them with the quick jolt of a electric screw gun, kinda like and impact but no luck. Right now I'm at a loss, don't want to destroy anything, least of all the fuel tank, so who's got this one figured out???
  2. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
  3. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    Unless you're changing plastics, there's no real need to pull the shrouds.

I've pulled my tank half a dozen times without removing the shrouds from it, just undo the two bolts into the radiator brackets and the one bolt up top and the whole shebang comes off together.
  4. MonoShocker Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Cagiva Gran Canyon
  5. MonoShocker Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Cagiva Gran Canyon

Hadn't thought about that, does the 630 tank lift off from the back, in other words up on the back first then slide out under the handlebars? My TE610E tank does just the opposite, and with the oversized Australian tank on it I have to loosen the handlebars and it's still tight to get off.(gotta see the 610 dont need em both) Plus just knowing that the fasteners are spinning in the tank doesn't sit well with me until I get it fixed...
  6. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    Pull those three bolts, disconnect the fuel pump line and power, crossover (close the petcocks), and vent lines and just pull the whole thing straight up until it's off the pegs, about two inches, the come straight back and you're off.
    Coffee likes this.
  7. Sizzler Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    CBR600, SZR660, TLM260. DRZ250
  8. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
  9. MonoShocker Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Cagiva Gran Canyon
    Freeze spray did occur to me, I may try that. I think I'm on my way to drilling the heads off, unless I get lucky with something like the spray. It's even worse since one is on top and one is on the side of the tank, you cant get any force under them to either help break them loose or go ahead and pull the fastner out.
    Thanks for the replies, when I get them free I will pass it along for the "what it's worth file"...
  10. MonoShocker Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Cagiva Gran Canyon
    The cold spray did not work.
    Well I got the shroud off, I drilled on bolt head off, the problem is they have that big shoulder on them so by the time you drill thru it the heat causes the shroud to melt in that area and of course the insert spins with the bolt on it and since the shoulder is the size of the hex head you can only hold the hex until you get up to the drill size that removes it....
    I'll spare you all the details, I know what I'm dealing with here and it's not looking good, getting the inserts out of the tank will be difficult to say the least. I will probably get the smallest dremel mill bit and go around the top of the insert to get it out. I'm assuming they are round inserts with teeth on the them? Anyone taken one of the the tank and have a picture or at least a description of the shape of the insert? I have designed many plastic parts and believe I know what i'm dealing with ..... I'd like to get a hold of the engineer that designed these...

A WORD TO THE WISE....if you can still get your bolts out without spinning take them out NOW and put anti-seize or at least some grease on them and don't over tighten them when you put them back in!

Anyway sorry to clog up the board with the same old story that many have had already but I didn't find in the beginning...
  11. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    For me it's more headache than it's worth, which is why I just pull the whole mess together now...:p