Swm Rs500r, Hard To Start When Warm

Discussion in 'Non-Husqvarna Motorcycles' started by Jumpn, Mar 9, 2020.

1. Jumpn Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SWM RS500R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki Versys x300
    I have a 2019 RS500R that has difficulty starting after it's been running more than 15" It cranks well, but can take 5-10 seconds of cranking before it fires. I don't know if it's not getting enough fuel, or if it's valve clearances at the moment. I've read others are having similar problems. It's not the starter, and it's battery is strong. It's frustrating to have it crank for so long, that I didn't turn it off during short breaks on a ride yesterday, for fear of depleting my battery. Any ideas? Where else would be a resource for answers on this forum? Thank you.
  2. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I would guess it is the fueling for the streel legal settings. I would think something like a JD tuner might help. I know someone on here was using one.
  3. ray gamache Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SWM rs500
    Other Motorcycles:
    2019 GasGas XC300
    Jumpn
    I agree with rancher1 that you are running lean. It might help to raise your idle but the long term soln is the FI tuners. This will correct the flame out as well.

Ray
  4. Jumpn Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SWM RS500R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki Versys x300
    Thanks for the replies. I did turn up my idle to around 2300, and it hasn't flamed out since. Is backfiring on decel a sign of a lean condition?
  5. Jumpn Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SWM RS500R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki Versys x300
    I read of one guy saying not to use the JD tuner, but it did sound like a troll, didn't give any useful or valid information.
  6. ray gamache Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SWM rs500
    Other Motorcycles:
    2019 GasGas XC300
    The JD tuner works great and I paid an additional 125 to have the bike put on a dyno and it was adjusted perfectly I am very happy with the bike now. BTW most of the tuners are made from the same company with different brand names.

Ray
    rancher1 and Jumpn like this.
  7. Boomer2124 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SWM
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha MT09
    Jumpin,
    I had similar issues and the fix is to have the latest Euro 4 map loaded (w/wo Arrow exhaust) and your TPS voltage checked. Also, always use the 'hot start' pull knob when engine is warm-hot. This will lean out the fueling as the air temp sensor will tell the ECU to add fuel to the engine. No more hard 'hot' starts and decel popping virtually gone, except when I forget to push in the \hot start' knob.