Supermoto East Coast

Discussion in 'Super Moto' started by K5PL5, Jan 26, 2014.

1. K5PL5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    03 Suzuki SV1000/73 Honda CB350
    Who's interested? I was talkin to Johnny Lewis about this new series and I think Im gonna do some races on the 449 this year. I know it wont be as competitive as a TC449 or my old 510 but it should be fun.
    http://supermotoec.com

I know a few of you race late Huskies. Any thoughts or tips on race prep for the bike and catch cans etc? I already have the whole Zip Ty oil system.
    Thanks!
    LandofMotards likes this.
  2. ks9mm Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 TE 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 Beta 300RR
    I raced one event at englishtown, nj 2 years ago on te510 ...it was awesome and scary at the same time. Finished both races mid pack ( while being dead last in the dirt) and did not crash!

Why do you think TC is better than TE? 6 speed of TE is much better I think..
  3. K5PL5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    TC has a more dirt friendly package overall.
  4. K5PL5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    I was trying to avoid goin bananas on this TE with suspension and what not but oh well lol. So it begins...
  5. R. Stephen Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I've raced all the late models, TE511, TC449, and a TXC511. I ran my 2013 TC449 last season, and my 2011 TC449 the year before that. Honestly the best set up so far is 50mm marzocchi forks and my Ohlins rear shock. The 50mm SMR forks are 1' shorter than the TC, and TE. The rear Ohlins I run is shortened 0.5". The TC suspension that has the closed cartridge KYBs work well for SM no issues for an average paced rider. I could never get my TE511 to handle well, the open cartridge KYB suspension was too soft for me. I kept washing out the front. Probably crashed 12 times that season and I just could not get along with that bike. These bikes are some of the best handling bikes out there when set up correctly. I've had numerous Pro SM riders on my bike and they all love it except the lack of power. But you don't need all the power if the bike handles well. It's just a nice to have. Holler if you have any questions.

this is my video form the SMEC final at my home track.
    J.R., Kyle Tarry and K5PL5 like this.
  6. K5PL5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    I was gonna have my suspension guy tweak the bike for me. Johnny Lewis actually works at Solid so I think i should see good results with them sorting the suspension out. Theyve done great things for my WR300.
    Can you tell me what youve done in the way of breathers, catch cans, and track prep? What kind of tires are you running? I like the michelin 2 ct. Ive heard the goldentyres dont last for sh1t. Anyone make peg sliders for the stock footpegs?
  7. K5PL5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Awesome vid and great song choice in the beginning. Im in love with Lana Del Ray lol.
    Kyle Tarry likes this.
  8. Husq-a-daygo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    15' TE300, 16'FE450
    That track looks so much fun! Or I just had too many whoops to deal with from desert racing...
  9. R. Stephen Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I'm running a Toxic Moto Breather on both of my bikes with the Zip Ty vent. 1100cc of oil no issues. I run Warp 9 pegs with Toxic moto sliders on them. UFO makes peg sliders for stock Husky Pegs if you need them. I put 50hrs on my 2013 TC449 last season and changed the oil every other track day. The bike never let me down.

Golden Tires are the worst thing I've ever ridden, boarder line hazardous for me. People run them in SMEC because the have to, or choose to for the contingency. I will never run a set again. I love the medium Michelins and UK spec Dunlops which are hands down the best I've ridden but the Dunlops are hard to find and expensive. Hoping to try some Bridgstones this year and see how they work. Shawano is rough on tires because the pavement is so good. The people running Goldens there put a new set on every race. It was pretty entertaining to watch the scramble.
    K5PL5 likes this.
  10. Caiman Senior Vice Procrastinator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SWM SM500R
    I've heard that about golden tyres, the world champs have said they're 2 seconds a lap off the pace of the other better known brands.

I wish we had tracks like Shawno over here, decent tracks are few and far between :(
  11. K5PL5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Well thats great info. I think I'll go with the 2ct's for now. I'll check out those sliders too.
  12. Caiman Senior Vice Procrastinator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SWM SM500R
    I'm running the UFO peg sliders, cheap at $15, but they pop off in a crash, do alright otherwise except they're a little thin so no idea on longevity.

Tyre wise I run Goldspeed ultra street tyres (not golden tyres!) They stick great but I'm not a fan of the profile on a 5" rim as they're a very skinny 160 more suited to the OE 4.25" rim IMO, previously I ran ContiAttack SM 160 (not ContiForce Am) and rate those as street tyres.
  13. K5PL5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ive got a 4.25 rear rim. The michelin seem to fit well. Minimal chain rub.
  14. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    I did some of the sumo practice days with MASMA at summit point (before they shut that down), but never any racing. I'd be a little bit hesitant to run my 610 at an actual race, given I have street tires and my suspension is setup for woods. That being said, you should do it! It is ridiculously fun, and on your smaller bike with better tires I think you'll do fine. I will probably try to squeeze in a trackday on my 610 this year, but I need to decide what track to go to because my local track (NJMP) is WAY too big and fast for a supermoto. Maybe NHIS...
  15. K5PL5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Cool well let me know which you end up scheduling. Have you seen the SMEC schedule for this year?
  16. equalz Husqvarna
    AA Class

I have factory supermoto rear shock that was re valved and re sprung by racetech for sale
  17. K5PL5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    And the price is...?
  18. Caiman Senior Vice Procrastinator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SWM SM500R
    It's not for the 449/511 though is it?
  19. K5PL5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Any thoughts or ideas on supermoto soles for my Gaernes? Id like to re-sole them if possible. Already have two decent pairs of Gaerne mx boots and dont want to spend $500 on some Crossfires.
  20. R. Stephen Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I've been told the older shocks will fit a 449/511. Still have to verify but looks promising.