Sump Breather Tube

Discussion in 'TR650' started by Engenia, Jun 29, 2014.

1. Engenia Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Benelli Tornado Novocentro Tre
    I removed a sump breather pipe yesterday from a Terra that has done ~ 25,000 kms and noticed that the first 50 mm from the bottom were soft and expanded. It's like the oil has attacked the rubber, like you would find on a spark plug cover that has been doused with oil from a leaking tappet cover.
    I wonder if the wrong hose material has been used for this task?
    Anyone else seen this problem?
    Mine is fine, but it's only done 5,000 kms.

While I'm on the subject, this bike had recently been at a dealer for it's valve shim adjustment. The shop broke off the airbox breather nipple and used the drain nipple instead when re-installing the breather tube. :o The result was a spray of oil on the upstream side of the filter, dirt stuck in that oil, and rain water draining into the sump. Fortunately the sludge blocked the drain hole limiting the deluge.
    Worth keeping a check on this. It's easy for a shop to hide the mistake, or simply not notice the mistake, but it could cause problems down the track.
  2. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    67 Bonnie, 68 Tiger, 11 Ural........
    Many of us who have moved our air filter have moved the crankcase breather into the old air filter area, and added a breather filter. That's an option for you, especially since that stock air box isn't doing much actual filtering for you anyway.
    engineerk9 likes this.
  3. V8Astro Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 Strada / 2008 SMR510
    Other Motorcycles:
    Suzuki GS500, Yamaha TR125L
    Mine was the same way. A 4" section of hose on the engine end was swollen from day 1. I noticed this when I bought the bike with 5 miles on it. I just did the Pod Mod and installed a breather in the air box. I had this hose off anyway so I replaced it a 5/16" fuel hose. I was surprised to find the old hose was even more swollen on the inside to the point of being blocked (280 miles). Probably a good thing for everyone to check.
    engineerk9 likes this.
  4. Quirky Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    R1200GS
    Yeah! mine is looking the same, I haven't removed it yet. Sounds like I should take a look and could explain the oil being pushed right into my breather after doing the pod mod. Didn't really think about the rubber swelling reducing it's ID.

Thanks for the heads up.

Cheers,

Q
  5. V8Astro Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 Strada / 2008 SMR510
    Other Motorcycles:
    Suzuki GS500, Yamaha TR125L
    I was dickering with my bike tonight and noticed that mine too has blown oil into the airbox
  6. Louisbiker Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    I just bought some 8mm ID hose to replace that one. it's been swollen since new, about 3 months ago.
    The connection is about 8.5mm (not the lump on the end)
    [IMG]