Sub Freezing Starting?

Discussion in '610/630' started by smokejumper98, Oct 11, 2017.

1. smokejumper98 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda XR600R,
    Newbie to Cafe Husky. Recently purchased a 2011 TE630 with 2300 miles on it and did a Nevada back country trip with some fellow smokejumpers in memory of a fallen friend. The bike did great, but I had some questions for you experienced 630 owners.
    1. Several nights got down to 29-32 degrees and I found the bike very difficult to start. I am running Motul synthetic 10w-60. I was using the enrichening lever, but still found it very difficult to start. It is a stock bike with the PU kit, original airbox and I do not have the JD tuner. What do you guys recommend to help? I was reading about bad temp sensors, but mine did not have the blinking green light and I did not notice the fan on all the time.

2. The bike has stock gearing 15/42 and I was reaching a max speed of 84 unloaded. I thought this seemed a bit slow. Will adding the JD tuner and opening up the airbox give me that much more top end or do you guys recommend different gearing? I was expecting at least 100mph out of this bike.

Other than these issues, I thought the bike was great although I still have an affinity for my XR600R.

Thanks for the help
  2. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    Cold start trick: Press the RHS red button 3-4 times (letting the fuel pump cycle through each time).
    Take the slack out of the throttle (only the slack) and keep the handle bars and the bike straight, ie sit on it with the side stand off.
  3. smokejumper98 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda XR600R,
    I will give that a try and see if it helps. Thanks

Any ideas on top speed? Is 85mph reasonable?
  4. motranqui Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE310 2010 & TE630 2010
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha YZ 250 F
    The "starting power" (CCA I think it's called) of the battery also has to do. Mine is a bit under powered (I think 200A) so the electric starter turns slowly. When it's cold (0-5 ÂșC) I find it a bit difficult to star the bike. When I replace the battery, I'll chose one with a 240 CCA
  5. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    SuperTenere-GL1800-CBR900RR-KLX250S
    If you are not adding fuel at high rpm/high load you're most likely very lean to the point of being dangerous. These bikes are very lean on the big end with just a PU plug, I think mine made 37hp with just the PU, and made 47hp with proper fueling.

How old is your battery? I suspect it is weak, mine has started many times right at freezing. These bikes actually have a generously sized battery.

I must be getting old, I can't imagine wanting to go 85mph on this bike... :)

6. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
  7. Rotax_655 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    ex TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia Pegaso 650 GA
    275 CCA
    UNIBATT CX 14 ;-)
    motranqui likes this.
  8. smokejumper98 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda XR600R,
    Thanks Dynobob. What do you use for fueling? Will the JD tuner work or do you recommend something else. I will take a look at my battery CCA.
  9. motranqui Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE310 2010 & TE630 2010
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha YZ 250 F
    85mph is not a problem for this bike as long as you bear the wind :D

Anyway, usually my speed range on road is 60 -70mph
  10. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    I like my Power Commander but I achieved the same results on my buddy's bike with just iBeat adjustments.

11. kirbybikes Husqvarna
    AA Class

I have a Power Commander too, I like it. Maps are available from Power Commander, Zip Ty and I don't think Bob has not published his maps for easy download but you can look at them in another of his posts/threads. The JD I had was a pain in the butt to tune as its located under the seat and you have to tune by seat of the pants, I never got it right.
  12. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    I'm using the Dynojet map that comes in the PC-V for the TE630.

13. Soaime Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda 954
    Hey guys, i have the same problem with very cold starts; also cold starts aren't too smooth. I recently changed my fuel pump with an ebay one and it works well if the engine is warm or has been running and i try to start it 3-4 hours later. But in the morning when there are 3 degrees celsius outside it takes me 2-3 minutes to start it and i think i'm ruining the battery. I did not use the enrichre lever as it seems to do more bad than good when i press it while trying to strat (it seems to me like it missfires when using it).
    Will try today Ghte's advice:
    "Cold start trick: Press the RHS red button 3-4 times (letting the fuel pump cycle through each time).
    Take the slack out of the throttle (only the slack) and keep the handle bars and the bike straight, ie sit on it with the side stand off."
  14. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    I ride with a buddy whose smokejumper nephew was killed on a lighting fire in the Warner Mountains about 4 years... which is a stone's throw from the Nevada border (but the Modoc, not Toiyabe NF)

if so, Dean Sheehy passes his thanks on for Luke; and if not: sorry about your loss.
  15. MATPOC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    too many

I have a 610 so it's not exact match, but I can reach 100mph at sea level (on GPS) with stock carb, airbox and possibly gearing, but I'm not sure what gears I have (don't remember)