1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

strong spark, clean carburator, no start ARGGGG!!#%$&!!&$

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by Joniver, Jul 14, 2015.

1. grouty Auto Lover ...

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    78 390WR, 78 390 AMX, 500 Humph
    Other Motorcycles:
    works 73 CCM 520, another 73 CCM520
    And how many times has your bike seized grouty?

:) Good point, but nowt to do with the carb. The other 390 is fine. If I get the time I will test my theory this weekend. (Wife, kids .... fat chance !)
    I could never get the jetting just right with the Mikuni after fitting the Boyesen reeds. Woes with the float needle (even on a new carb). The Lectron seems to have cured that.
  2. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gas Gas TxT 300, Yamaha wr250f
    No i agree the lectron although expendo has been a marvel of the age, micrappy was usless too rich every where and i changed jets to the tune of 70+ quid thought enoughs enough and boom two adjustments later not touched any part of the carb other than choke for a year an a half now. Awesome
    But expencive.
  3. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    the mikuni on my 95 i was able to get working well and starting easy, but the lectron is just on a different level. awesome carb
  4. visiteur1948 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    husqvarna only
    20140326_115445.jpg
    mikuni and lectron
    $_1.JPG
    lectron for sale
    ebay us !
  5. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    referencing visiteur's pics, the top shows a new lectron but the bottom shows an older non-powerjet unit. much of the beauty of the lectron is in the powerjet, i have resisted the temptation of buying old lectrons on ebay.
  6. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    73 450WR 6spd motor in a 75 MK frame
    What is the "powerjet". Is it like an accelerator pump?
  7. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    on a lectron, it is very simple. there is an external feed directly from the float bowl routed up to the top of the carb, there is a thin tube that extends into the carbs bore. the length of this tube determines when the powerjet kicks in, and there is an external screw to adjust this.
    kind of similar to the "dial a jet" setups people used to put on carbs.
    juicypips likes this.
  8. Joniver Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    125 WR 1978
    Other Motorcycles:
    Harley Davidson, Royal Enfield
    Hi guys and thanks for all your help. The bike is running now, but is flodding if I dont turn the gass off before I stop it. And it is hell to start it. So, the carb is fucked, and I cant get the pin out. Thinking about changing out the carb. What is the best alternative? Lectron?
    Also, my springs/dampers got a rough run at the track and are both leaking. Who fixes them? Probably just some gaskets, but I have never opened these before, and dont have the tools for it.
    I hace have to buy new, what do I buy?

Othervise, I love the bike. It was great on the dirt track (its not built for the modern jumps, but it climbs like a f...ing mountain goat) IMG_4748.jpg

ps:I just bought the green numberplates for it...
    lankydoug likes this.
  9. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    There have been some great suggestions on this thread regarding the problems of flooding and all not starting. Have you looked into any of them? There are a whole bunch of parts that can go haywire and cause your bike to flood and not start easily every time so you need to look into the suggestions made in this thread and report on what you find. We will then be able to help you methodically work through them.

As for the springs/dampers leaking, if you are referring to the rear shocks they are the stock Girlings and not rebuilding. If you are referring to the front forks they are rebuildable.

Great looking bike by the way. Its well worth the investment in time and money. Thanks for the picture!
  10. Joniver Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    125 WR 1978
    Other Motorcycles:

well, what I found was that the bike is flooding. The tip on turning of the gass, and kicking like crazy intil it started firing with the flooded fuel works. And when It finaly fires up, I can turn the gass on again, and it runds beautifuly.

Othertimes it wouldnt start, I opened up the screw underneath the carb for draining, and it was dry, witch means that the float valve was stuck again, only this time, not letting any fuel past.

The biggest problem (apart from time when I have wife and two kids :)) is to get the darn pin out of the carb to rinse and/or replace the float valve. I have tried heating, and tapping it. I might have tapped it too hard, but i looks to be ok. So, it is still stuck, but everything else seems perfect, and when it starts, it is wonderful.

I have not checked the airing in the fueltank yet, but I will come back to that. I think that the problem is the float valve.

When it comes to spring/damper issue, it is the rear that are leeking. You say they are not rebuildable? I would guess the O-rings need to be changed? Any suggestions? I will take them off and see what I can do this week. I have never even opened a pair of shocks, so It will be interesting.

Thanks again guys. I will look into all the things that come up here, and post what I find out.
  11. Joniver Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    125 WR 1978
    Other Motorcycles:
  12. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    im not sure about the shox. be carefull they have pressure in there.

i don't think you can remove the endcap like other shox. the bodies may be 1 piece. others whp know of these shox may be able to assist. there are suspension guys who can cut the end off and mill up a removable end cap so they can be rebuilt.

seek more answers..
    Joniver likes this.
  13. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I didn't notice the shock's gas reservoirs previously so I'll have to change my "not rebuildable" position to "I don't know".

The carb float pin can be tricky as you have found. As mentioned in a previous post you need to support the opposite side of the post that you are driving the pin out of. A piece of wood will work, it just needs to catch the very top of the post. For example use a one foot piece of 2x4 or 4x4 stood on end and rest the end of the float post, that you'll be driving the pin from, on top of the wood. Be sure and apply a bit of penetrating oil on both posts an hour before. Also be sure to look closely at each end of the pin because one end may be knurled or flattened which requires that the pin be driven out that end only. If the pin doesn't move with a few solid taps then stop and reassess the situation because you don't want to break it. As a last resort post some pictures for us to see what you're working with so that our advice can be more specific to you carb.

I know that working on a bike can be frustrating because you want to ride the damn thing but for me a poor running bike takes all the fun out of riding. So hang in there and keep plugging along. Over time you'll be surprised at the things you'll learn.

Keep us posted on your progress and thanks for the new picture. Your bike is a nice example of a pro vintage ride, but for god sakes tie up those cables before you go riding or they'll catch on something and you'll be on your head! :D
    Joniver and justintendo like this.
  14. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    If it's flooding when stopped your needle and seat is leaking. Can't jet it with the needle and seat leaking.
    Motosportz likes this.
  15. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

No. It adds fuel per decade over half throttle / top end. Almost like an adjustable main jet. Lectron make the metering rod slightly lean up top and you can adjust the top with adding fuel via the powerjet. This is also super handy for when you do wide open stuff like sand dunes. Twist open the powerjet a 1/4 turn and your good to ride sand.
  16. can Husqvarna
    AA Class

If your shocks have not lost too much oil you can try recharging the reservoirs and quite often they will stop leaking. I use 150 psi regular compressed air, but you are supposed to use nitrogen.
  17. Joniver Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    125 WR 1978
    Other Motorcycles:
    They have lost a lot of oil. Enough to make a small puddle under my backwheel.
  18. Joniver Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    125 WR 1978
    Other Motorcycles:
  19. motomwo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many vintage big bore and automatics

Yes the 78 390CR and the 78250CR use the same length of shocks. From the factory the 390 used Ohlins and the 250 used Girlings. Hope this helps,
    Marty
  20. watto450 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1965 250, 1978 390 Auto, 1983 510 TX
    Tho the picture shows the bike with shocks that look a lot like Ohlins.. fully rebuildable..
    Joniver likes this.